PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra's Opener

ctrujillo45
02-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Hello there-

I have been fishing the Sierras for quite some time and have never made it opening weekend. I have usually heard it is quite cold during this weekend. I have made up my mind this year I am determined to go, even if I head out by myself.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Are any special events going on during this weekend?
2. From what I have read, its the first weekend in April, is that correct?
3. What places are heavily stocked on opening weekend?
4. Any recommendations on places to stay which are centralized to all the "hot spots".
5. Is it possible to take my tube at this time of year?

Any other comments or suggestions for this weekend? I cant wait.......

retired96
02-26-2009, 07:24 AM
First of all the opener is the last Saturday in April. Regarding the weather you never know what to expect. This will be my 39th straight opener and I have seen every type of weather you can imagine. I have seen rain, snow, bitter cold, hurricane force winds and the past few years the weather has been perfect.

Most all of the high country lakes will still be frozen allowing for ice fishing. A large majority of fishermen will be at Lake Crowley, June Lake area and the Lakes in Bridgeport.

I always camp at Rock Creek but most of the campgrounds are closed due to snow at the higher elevations. Toms place always has a contest for the largest fish caught with a money prize for the winner and it can be packed on opening weekend with some serious drinking taking place.

Last year, in my opinion the crowds weren't that bad, There were about 20-25 empty campsites where I camped in Rock Creek. Last year we had the high gas prices which I think kept a lot of people home, I think this year maybe the same due to the economy.

I fished the Upper Owens River and it wasn't really that crowded.

You can bring your float tube but be advised the waters will be cold.

Eat Sleep Fish
02-26-2009, 01:15 PM
hopefully this year they will have better size fish for the opener. last years average stocker in the bishop creek drainage was about 8-10".

Astrolux
02-26-2009, 02:48 PM
I love opening weekend. Just like Retired96 said the weather is always different. Some years pretty darn warm, and some years its cold as hell with snow blowin in your face. As far as places to stay, head up there a day early and explore a little. Then sleep in your truck. My father and I either sleep in the truck or on the rocks right next to the lake. Gotta be throwin into the lake as soon as the fireworks hit the sky at Crowley.

Big Country
02-26-2009, 05:12 PM
My record of 28 years straight was broke last year as I didn't make it up for a variety of reasons. With that being said, the last few years have been warm (weather wise) which drives the fish away from the shore and makes them a little more finicky in my opinion. Make sure you have plenty of 2 lb. leader if this is the case again this year.

As far as where to stay, you can't beat the loop because of the variety - 4 lakes, 2 creeks and 1 hike to lake. All of them are within 5 minutes of one another and you can drop your donut into any one of them and do well. I think 3 of the 4 lakes have contests and then there is the big contest held out of Ernie's Tackle store. And when it is all said and done, there is the Tiger Bar! There's a lot of good quality fish, similar to Crowley, that come out of here each opener.

I have focused more on the closer the past couple of years so I have given up on the opener and probably won't doing the opener in the future.

Good luck and enjoy yourself - and for goodness sake, pick up your trash!

smokinflies
02-26-2009, 06:46 PM
...As far as where to stay, you can't beat the loop because of the variety - 4 lakes, 2 creeks and 1 hike to lake. All of them are within 5 minutes of one another and you can drop your donut into any one of them and do well. I think 3 of the 4 lakes have contests and then there is the big contest held out of Ernie's Tackle store. And when it is all said and done, there is the Tiger Bar! There's a lot of good quality fish, similar to Crowley, that come out of here each opener....

hey big country, are you talking about the june lake loop?

Desertfishin
02-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Had some of the best times and fishin at the opener. In 2007 I won the biggest trout for June Lake and second over all! Great prizes and even better times! In 2008 we where contenders for the biggest stringer but were late for the weigh in. Heres some pics...
I'm ready!

brownbragger
03-07-2009, 10:28 PM
25yrs in a row this year and I get just as excited about going now than I did when I was 14yrs old.

Recession shmession...I'd hitchhike without a dollar in my pocket to make it on opening day :)

ctrujillo45
03-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Can anyone recommend a good hotel to stay in within the Mammoth area? I am thinking I can get a hotel in Mammoth rather than Bishop so I can be closer to a lot of my favorite spots (June, Convict, etc.)

Anyone have suggestions?

Sierra_Smitty
03-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Can anyone recommend a good hotel to stay in within the Mammoth area? I am thinking I can get a hotel in Mammoth rather than Bishop so I can be closer to a lot of my favorite spots (June, Convict, etc.)

Anyone have suggestions?

It all depends on your budget. Shilo Inn is nice. Motel 6 is fine too on a budget.

If it were me, I'd probably rent a condo through Mammoth Reservations or one of the other services. My folks have a vacation rental there too - www.themammothcondo.net.

Condos in late April are often cheaper than hotels and in my opinion - way better.

copeyboy
03-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Dude, I've been going out to the opener with my father-in-law for the last 12 years and have a blast each and every time!! Last year, the fishing wasn't all that great for all of us, but I always hold out hope for the next year. There's no such thing as giving up!! We stay in a condo in Mammoth and are always comfortable. We hit Crowley on a pontoon because we're all big men. Hopefully, this year, we'll find some of those little suckers and get on a hot streak, as we have in the past. Later.

fishtacomag
03-16-2009, 04:49 PM
i have only missed one opener since 1976 and ZERO since 1981. can't imagine not going. I am with a group of guys who started going around 1970 with their gym teacher. some of the originals are still going and bringing thier kids. We have been written about in the LA Times and the OC Register--OK it helps that I know the outdoor writers. Most of us fish Gull Lake but started out fishing Crowley. We have a big trophy for the winner each year and $10 a piece jackpot for 35-45 guys each years sure makes winning the big fish fun. I have been fortunate enough to win 3 of the last 6 years with 2 2nd places. But more than the $$ and the trophy it is the bragging rights that counts.
Counting the days--hey smitty--let me know if you want to hook up on the Owens the Thursday or Friday before and if you want to meet for some pizza and beer on thurs night.
shawn

billy b
03-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Those are some beautiful fish! Is the brownie out of June?

fishslayer01
03-24-2009, 10:49 AM
last years opener had great weather but then a month later on Memorial weekend it snowed EVERY DAY!