PDA

View Full Version : Going to hike in the local canyons again...

Kokak
02-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Have a little MY TIME and am going to run up to the local canyons…

Anyone have any suggestions. I live in West Covina and am very close to both Pasadena and San Bernardino. I will be taking my 6wt rod; I don’t have anything smaller yet.

Suggestions… Chantry Flats… Arroyo Seco… Eaton Canyon…

annex138
02-26-2009, 07:49 AM
not sure how much hiking you want to do but you can always hike way in on the east fork of SGR. Lots of small wild trout in there but I am sure there has to be some monsters in there. I have hiked and fished about 4 miles in and caught lots of little guys.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
02-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Do not go alone,in azusa cyn. Without backup....

Kokak
02-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Has it really gotten that bad in the Azusa Canyon?

Cangler
02-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Gang bangers and wierdo gold prospectors ?

RoastedBlueGill
02-26-2009, 12:41 PM
a buddy of mine used to go to santa anita canyon, he caught some nice fish out of there. there is an area where hikers park, he would leave his car there then hike down into the canyon.

Eat Sleep Fish
02-26-2009, 01:28 PM
a buddy of mine used to go to santa anita canyon, he caught some nice fish out of there. there is an area where hikers park, he would leave his car there then hike down into the canyon.

santa anita canyon is dead fished out. not a fish in sight. i was up there 2 days ago. saw one fish cruising. maybe 2 inches....maybe. sucks to see that place go down the drain.

RoastedBlueGill
03-02-2009, 12:43 PM
try san antonio creek, take mountain avenue from upland till it tee's, turn left, park at the bridge, get your adventure pass before, fish the creek, there is a trail running by the creek, rainbows and browns, kinda smallish, but not planters. catch and release if you can. once in a while there are nicer fish mixed in.

FISHNFOOL9
03-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Roasted Blue Gill,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:Evil: PM SENT :Evil:

smalweld
03-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Hwy 39 Azusa Cyn is fine in the off season, anotherwords not a hot summer day. Went up this past weekend to the East Fork and had a great time. Don't discount this river as it was extremely nice.. If you go, do it before the swimmers arrive. I have heard negative comments about the gold prospecters on the E. Fork but all of the ones that I talked to were friendly. Also if you do go please catch and release since the river is on the do not plant list... That goes for any river, creek or stream that is out here. Please do not catch and keep. It really isnt worth the cleaning of the fish just to get a couple of bites out of a 4-6 inch trout. Leave them in there to ensure that there is plenty of fish in those rivers, creeks and streams for you to teach your son or daughter and your grandkids.. Besides we gotta get them off of the X-boxes and out into nature. Wii controllers don't fight back!!!!

Sean

Kokak
03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
I always Catch and Release in the canyons and rivers.The only place I Catch and Keep are at the pay to fish lakes (i.e. Irvine, Santa Ana Rivers).

Just a nice way to spend sometime while taking a walk.

Tom
03-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Have a little MY TIME and am going to run up to the local canyons…

Anyone have any suggestions. I live in West Covina and am very close to both Pasadena and San Bernardino. I will be taking my 6wt rod; I don’t have anything smaller yet.

Suggestions… Chantry Flats… Arroyo Seco… Eaton Canyon…

How bout the Santa ana river or Lytle creek ?
Both have browns and rainbows in good numbers
Tom

Simplyeman
03-03-2009, 10:56 PM
don't mean to hijack the tread but, can you have a loaded pistol on you if you go into the canyons to fish?

dockboy
03-04-2009, 07:36 AM
If you have your permit for it on you, as always, yes. Just remember pistols might work just fine for snakes and small stuff like that.....but if you have problems you are far from immediate medical aid.

tacklejunkie
03-04-2009, 08:18 AM
santa anita canyon is dead fished out. not a fish in sight. i was up there 2 days ago. saw one fish cruising. maybe 2 inches....maybe. sucks to see that place go down the drain.
If you saw one cruising there was more. They spook easily and you have to hide from them to catch them.
Those 2"ers are actually catchable.

Darius
03-04-2009, 10:22 AM
simplyeman, as for loaded pistols laws state that aslong you are a license fisherman, you can carry a concealed firearm, but local laws over rules state laws. So in the end, i would just carry conceal a firearm, i mean heck you are in the canyon out there, why not? Anything can happen, thugs who like to tag **** up, poachers,etc. Just be smart when carrying and do not look like a thug.

Simplyeman
03-04-2009, 11:12 AM
only reason I ask is because of big tujunga creek, for anyone who's been there knows how bad it is. That is not a place trek alone or without a weapon.