PDA

View Full Version : Late Lobster report for 2/21 Cat. triple limits w/pics

tunagod1
02-25-2009, 07:42 AM
My Buddy Mangus, and I decided that we wanted to eat some lobster and since the freezer was empty we had to go out and work for our dinner. We decided that we needed a third so I asked my neighbor Sam if he wanted to go. Sam had never been fishing or hooping before so this a new experience for him.

We arrived at Catalina at about 2pm, since Sam had never caught a fish, we decided to troll just outside of Avalon for some bonita. The Bones have been very cooperative and within an hour we had 10, 28" bones for bait that night. On the first hookup, Sam picked up the baitcasting reel turned it down and started reeling backwards. We corrected him on the rod and reel position, and he was able to land his first fish. On the second hookup Sam pisked up the spinning rod, and proceeded to do just as we told him with the first hook up. Needless to say again he was reel in the spinner with the reel up and winding backwards.

We explained to him that he was lucky that no one saw him doing this on my boat or he would have to go overboard for making us look bad.

At 3:30 decided to move to the spot for hooping. We set up 7 net in 75 ft of water, and 3 at 175', On the first set Sam pulled one legal lobster and on Giant spider crab, the next pulls yeilded, 4 bugs, 3 bugs, 6 bugs, 7 bugs. we ended up throwing back 6 legals while picking up the nets. Crawl seem to get better as the night went on.

Anyway, we left Catalina on glassy seas and were back at the dock around 1:30pm.

It was a great night, no wind, no swell, warm weather, and triple limits. doesn't get much better than that.

chris
02-25-2009, 09:13 AM
nice line up of raoches

Wildhorse1966
02-25-2009, 10:59 AM
looks flat out there guys congrats on the limits

BIGRED KILLA
02-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Looks like you guys did great out there thanks for the post.

Bigred