PDA

View Full Version : a avet question for the avet fans out there

fishrookie
02-24-2009, 10:31 PM
i don't do salt water so i thought i would ask you guys. what is a avet pro-ex w-30/2 used to fish for?

hakaveli
02-24-2009, 10:54 PM
ASK RICKY RAY he is the arvet king here

Ricky-Ray
02-24-2009, 11:01 PM
If it's locally the main application would be for shark fishing. If your doing long range then it would be the perfect reel to take on 200+ pound tuna and anything else that you can catch on a 10+ day long range trip.

sansou
02-24-2009, 11:02 PM
I have the 30 narrow....I use it for anything 60# test (some even do 80#) is called for. Great reel for the money, but not cheap to put line on initially. LOL

Tried using it rockcodding in Mex fishing super deep with 1lb weights and 4 ganions...it was too much reel still. Penn 4/0 would have been better I think.

Nessie Hunter
02-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Avet makes some beautiful machined reels.. Very nice stuff..

The Avet Pro EXW 30-2, is a large lever drag, 2 speed reel. For Cows and other 200# plus fish...
35# of drag, weighs over 3 # (49 oz), large line capacity...

DavidE
02-25-2009, 08:55 AM
I have the Pro 30. I use mine as my trolling set up, used it for deep drop rock codding, and hopefully I'll get into a big tuna and use it then as well.

BTW, I'm one of the 80# guys Sansou talked about.

ghetto dad
02-25-2009, 08:57 AM
I have the Pro 30. I use mine as my trolling set up, used it for deep drop rock codding, and hopefully I'll get into a big tuna and use it then as well.

BTW, I'm one of the 80# guys Sansou talked about.

Man, the last time were 80# was when you were 4 years old! :ROFL:j/k homie!

GD

DavidE
02-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Man, the last time were 80# was when you were 4 years old! :ROFL:j/k homie!

GD

4th???? Maybe ..... :ROFL::ROFL:

fishrookie
02-25-2009, 02:46 PM
If it's locally the main application would be for shark fishing. If your doing long range then it would be the perfect reel to take on 200+ pound tuna and anything else that you can catch on a 10+ day long range trip.

do you own one Ricky-Ray?

ghetto dad
02-25-2009, 02:49 PM
do you own one Ricky-Ray?

oh NO you didnt!!!!! :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:ricky is an avet whore......

GD

fishrookie
02-25-2009, 03:31 PM
oh NO you didnt!!!!! :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:ricky is an avet whore......

GD

maybe i should ask do you own this model of avet

ghetto dad
02-25-2009, 03:38 PM
maybe i should ask do you own this model of avet

Ricky knows man...so does sansou...i have avets, but those models are way too baller for me.....

GD

Ricky-Ray
02-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Fishrookie yes I do own Avets and yes I do own the Avet 30w/02. I didn't get the 30n like Sansou and DavidE have, I have the wide version of the 30 series of reels.

Ricky-Ray
02-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Yeah I have just a couple of Avets.... :Twisted:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd135/rkchiu/Misc/AvetReels.jpg

mstr fish
02-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Ok guys if fishing 60 what do you load it with? What about 80? Spectra and mono? How much roughly?

What about the 4/0?.................fish

sansou
02-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Ok guys if fishing 60 what do you load it with? What about 80? Spectra and mono? How much roughly?

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=27847&highlight=braid
(post #17)

From talking to other Pro 30 owners, there's different schools of thought depending on what you are going to do with it. For example, if I were to contemplate using it as a big game live-bait reel, I would have rigged it differently as opposed to what I have on it now (well, in all honesty I'd just go out and buy another one so I would have a backup).

For now it's a trolling reel for me until I fish the Cortez side this summer, in which case I might need to re-think this Power Pro rigging.

Ricky-Ray
02-26-2009, 10:24 AM

IMO if you want to fish 60# the best choice would be the HX. It's lighter and smaller than the 30 series reel and it was built to fish 50/60# easily.

The 4/0 will do the same job also as the HX. However if you follow the rebuild instructions of Alan Tani you'll have upgraded the 4/0 to handle 50-80# without any problems.

Load the HX with 80# spectra and then a topshot of 50 or 60# mono and your set.

sansou
02-26-2009, 10:31 AM
The HXJ is such a nice nice San Diego reel. :LOL:

(felt compelled to say that)

Ricky-Ray
02-26-2009, 11:01 AM
The HX series reels are a freaking beast. I've personally witnessed a 45 pound homeguard guadalupe island yellowtail brought to gaff on the yo-yo. The angler just popped the reel in low and in a matter of minutes it was on the surface ready to be gaffed.

mstr fish
02-26-2009, 02:50 PM
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=27847&highlight=braid
(post #17)

From talking to other Pro 30 owners, there's different schools of thought depending on what you are going to do with it. For example, if I were to contemplate using it as a big game live-bait reel, I would have rigged it differently as opposed to what I have on it now (well, in all honesty I'd just go out and buy another one so I would have a backup).

For now it's a trolling reel for me until I fish the Cortez side this summer, in which case I might need to re-think this Power Pro rigging.

IMO if you want to fish 60# the best choice would be the HX. It's lighter and smaller than the 30 series reel and it was built to fish 50/60# easily.

The 4/0 will do the same job also as the HX. However if you follow the rebuild instructions of Alan Tani you'll have upgraded the 4/0 to handle 50-80# without any problems.

Load the HX with 80# spectra and then a topshot of 50 or 60# mono and your set.

Ricky-Ray n Sansou thanks. (What cortez trip are you doing this summer?)

The reason why I was asking (not to hijack this post) is that I have paid for my trip on the Tony Reyes in May. They say I Need a 40,50 and 100lb set-up. I have none and have been researching on possible set-ups. I have 2 MXJ (Shhh with power pro n P-line) that I used on my 2 day trip last year. I would like to build on that but @ the same time not over do it on this trip either since I have to buy everything down to the line. I do not want to be stuck out there like an idiot either. I would like to @ the very least get 1 of each set-up. Maybe even use my mxj with 30(In place of a 40 set-up)? For fly lining live bait? Thanks again for your input...............fish

fishrookie
02-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah I have just a couple of Avets.... :Twisted:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd135/rkchiu/Misc/AvetReels.jpg

Damn, you a big pimp !! not a whore like getto said.

thanks for all the help and tips

sansou
02-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Mstr fish,

I've been eyeballing those Reyes trips for a long time....just haven't been able to rationally justify 1 week off (though my heart tells me to go!). I am planning a long weekend this summer in San Felipe/Puertecitos with the hope of trying my hand at grouper fishing.

I would think the inexpensive way (as compared to buying an HX and a 30) to go about it would be to get a couple Penn Senators/Baja (113's) in both high speed and lower ratio, and spool up 40# and 60# respectively. Likewise, I would think a 6/0 would be fine for the grouper and trolling. Or.....get your FNN friends to lend you their big game stuff!!!

For the price of one Pro 30, you could get several used Penns. Just replace the essentials in them (Penn has got to be the most inexpensive componentry around) and oil/grease them up. Again, not having been on any boat for one whole week at a time, I would think you would want several rigs w/backups as opposed to one rig per line class. While Avets are great (IMO), they ain't cheap....going all Avets with some redundancy would run you "big bucks", even if you got them used. Just a thought.

Ricky-Ray
02-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Ricky-Ray n Sansou thanks. (What cortez trip are you doing this summer?)

The reason why I was asking (not to hijack this post) is that I have paid for my trip on the Tony Reyes in May. They say I Need a 40,50 and 100lb set-up. I have none and have been researching on possible set-ups. I have 2 MXJ (Shhh with power pro n P-line) that I used on my 2 day trip last year. I would like to build on that but @ the same time not over do it on this trip either since I have to buy everything down to the line. I do not want to be stuck out there like an idiot either. I would like to @ the very least get 1 of each set-up. Maybe even use my mxj with 30(In place of a 40 set-up)? For fly lining live bait? Thanks again for your input...............fish

Here's my 2 cents.

First of all I'm jealous that your going on a Tony Reye's trip. I've been wanting to do one of those for some time now. Dam you...##$#$@)@%(.!!!

Ok rant over. :LOL: :LOL:

You can use the MXJ for 40 if needed but that would be taking it to the extreme. The JX/LX series reels are designed to handle 40/50# easily. Plus with the JX reels they have more drag stopping power than the MXJ's do.

Consider getting a Shimano TLD 20 2 speed. They run about 200 bucks and will definitely handle 40/50# without any problems. Since your MXJ is spooled with spectra already I would spool it with 30 and fish it as your 30# rig but bring 40# line also so if something happens to your 40# setup you can take the mono out of the mxj and put 40 on there and fish it.

fishrookie
03-03-2009, 08:47 PM
hey Rickey,

what's it cost to have all those reels serviced from avet or do you guys do your own work on them?

Ricky-Ray
03-03-2009, 10:40 PM
I use to send them to the tackle shop I go to but going forward I've been sending them to Alan Tani for service. He does some AWESOME work and is worth every penny.

fishrookie
03-04-2009, 11:40 AM
I use to send them to the tackle shop I go to but going forward I've been sending them to Alan Tani for service. He does some AWESOME work and is worth every penny.
where's he located?
does avet have service department, where you can send them to get serviced?

Ricky-Ray
03-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Alan Tani lives in Norther California. I ship my reels to him and then he ships them back to me. You can send your reels to Avet or take it to them directly, they are located in Chatsworth. Avet's address is 9687 Topanga Cyn. Place, Chatsworth, CA 91311. Their number is 877-487-4476. Almost any tackle store that services reels should be able to service Avet's too. If not they would most likely send them back to Avet.

mstr fish
03-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Mstr fish,

I've been eyeballing those Reyes trips for a long time....just haven't been able to rationally justify 1 week off (though my heart tells me to go!). I am planning a long weekend this summer in San Felipe/Puertecitos with the hope of trying my hand at grouper fishing.

I would think the inexpensive way (as compared to buying an HX and a 30) to go about it would be to get a couple Penn Senators/Baja (113's) in both high speed and lower ratio, and spool up 40# and 60# respectively. Likewise, I would think a 6/0 would be fine for the grouper and trolling. Or.....get your FNN friends to lend you their big game stuff!!!

For the price of one Pro 30, you could get several used Penns. Just replace the essentials in them (Penn has got to be the most inexpensive componentry around) and oil/grease them up. Again, not having been on any boat for one whole week at a time, I would think you would want several rigs w/backups as opposed to one rig per line class. While Avets are great (IMO), they ain't cheap....going all Avets with some redundancy would run you "big bucks", even if you got them used. Just a thought.

Here's my 2 cents.

First of all I'm jealous that your going on a Tony Reye's trip. I've been wanting to do one of those for some time now. Dam you...##$#$@)@%(.!!!

Ok rant over. :LOL: :LOL:

You can use the MXJ for 40 if needed but that would be taking it to the extreme. The JX/LX series reels are designed to handle 40/50# easily. Plus with the JX reels they have more drag stopping power than the MXJ's do.

Consider getting a Shimano TLD 20 2 speed. They run about 200 bucks and will definitely handle 40/50# without any problems. Since your MXJ is spooled with spectra already I would spool it with 30 and fish it as your 30# rig but bring 40# line also so if something happens to your 40# setup you can take the mono out of the mxj and put 40 on there and fish it.

Sansou For me it was easy to justify. My fishing life has stunk these past few months due to a failing economy to say the least. As with most buisnesses dollars down we have had to think out of the box by far to figure how to generate revenue. Which this far has worked in a positive direction. The downside is that it is alot of leg work which tranforms into less fishing time. But I have to feed my family first.

Ricky-Ray belive me I rant everyday that I am not able to go fish. Thank God for FNN I am able to drool over all your guys reports.

I want to thank you guys again for your help and here is just some of what I have bought from the Fred Hall Show Thursday................................fish