PDA

View Full Version : Lake Pleasant Az

Vulture
02-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Going to be bass fishing Lake Pleasant in March. Has anyone fished that lake? Can anyone recommend locations and choice of bait or lures? Any help will do.
Thanks.

sansou
02-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Can't say I really know Pleasant very well, but there are some signature spots that everyone seems to fish (for striper and yellow bass on jigs): trolling deep at the dam and casting to boils with plugs, and the Agua Fria section (we did "ok" a couple times on plain old flylined cut chovies and minor success one time bumping jigtails off the bottom for striper)

I don't fish LMB. I would ask the big bait shop for help, they seemed helpful the last few times I was there. They sell frozen chovies there too. Also try the AZ F&G website, which is very helpful and well run, in addition to stopping by and reading the scoreboard at Fisherman's Warehouse on 27th Ave.

For what its worth. my friend in Buckeye swears by the nightfishing up the Agua Fria for big striper.

sweetfish
02-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Fished it about 15 years ago in a tournament. The hot ticket back then during pre spawn and spawning times was double willow gold blade white/chartreuse spinner bait 1/4 oz., 3 inch soft jerkbaits (salt/pepper/silver), silver/black floating rapala size 7 or 9, and if you can find them waterdog imitations texas or carolina rigged purple or grape.

If wasn't uncommon to have 100 fish days cruising down the shoreline fishing soft jerkbaits. Key is to fish real slow and around the structure.

Also I forget what arm it was, but there is all kinds of flooded trees at the end of it and it was loaded with white bass.

Also for the huge crappie there use the micro vibrating crank baits from rapala (chrome/blue). Killed them on those.

Good luck.

uscjeffer
02-25-2009, 09:31 AM
www.azbasszone.com

marc626
02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Do some research on Canyon Lakes. I have been there a few times but only fished it once(for a dink bluegill near the Marina).The other times we just messed around w/ my old homies wake board. There are a few shallow water spots(coves) but if they are not shallow they are DEEP. Stay warm and be safe cause it's like the Ocean out there( if windy). There are tons of boats parked near the marina(if you like dock style fishing). If they arn't spawning they're DEEP. Drop shot rig 6-10lb test for LMB( small plastics ). 2-6lb test for Gills( meal worms ). Strippers don't know how to get them but they are there! Plus when we used to go it was 110 degrees plus so in march you should do better. Call the marina. Pls. post a report whether you catch them or not. We're interested. -peace

Vulture
02-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Thank you everyone for you input. I might try those baits Sweetfish. It's a start for now. If you guys hear of anything new please keep me posted.
Again thanks.

chivo
02-26-2009, 06:45 PM
All i really know about pleasant is the crappies will be on hit. If i was you i'd hit the shallow sticks for some fast slab action. I don't know about the bass. I know there's big one's there.

sansou
02-26-2009, 07:08 PM
All i really know about pleasant is the crappies will be on hit. If i was you i'd hit the shallow sticks for some fast slab action. I don't know about the bass. I know there's big one's there.

Where are the crappies in Pleasant?

I've never known Pleasant to be a place for crappies....back in the day we'd fish them and yellows at night at Saguaro since they seemed to be caught on the same jigs. Bartlett was also the perennial panfish lake too....but by the time they get to biting, it was also warm enough for the lake lice & partyers to be out in full force, which is why Pleasant was "unpleasant".

chivo
03-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Where are the crappies in Pleasant?

I've never known Pleasant to be a place for crappies....back in the day we'd fish them and yellows at night at Saguaro since they seemed to be caught on the same jigs. Bartlett was also the perennial panfish lake too....but by the time they get to biting, it was also warm enough for the lake lice & partyers to be out in full force, which is why Pleasant was "unpleasant".

Yeah pleasant is one of the unknown best in the west for crappies. Right before spawn the'll be moving from brush to a bit deeper. I'd hit the structures along the shoreline, pitching jigs, you won't need live bait if the crappies are there. Most of the time live bait isn't needed, only patients. If you don't find them there they'll be a little bit deeper. I'd again throw jigs, or spinners like the roadrunner. If there active like i think they'll be, than they'll hit the spinners like bass. well not exactlly like bass. I was there 3 years ago during the same time. Went on a buddys boat for 5 hours. The fish move from shallow to deeper throughout the day. I had a kept all the larger fish 1 3/4 lb to 2 3/4lbers. Took home 25 and left far more. My bunny reeled in 3 3+lbers on the roadrunner jigs, out in 20 feet of water 10-12 feet deep.

Vulture
04-16-2009, 02:00 PM
The majority of capps are in the back of Humbug. Go far back into the cove and fish all the stick ups. I got there in the morning and a guy was pulling out with a boat load. He had few that went over 2 lbs. I was fishing for lmb. But man did he have a bunch of them.
The next time out I think Ill target those tasty suckers.