PDA

View Full Version : Catching live shad

annex138
02-24-2009, 07:19 PM
What's the best/easy way to catch shad out at perris. Dip net? What works for you guys?

calico killer kevin
02-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Dip netting is the only way unless you want to use trebles of a sabiki. Not sure of the legalities of using a sabiki or treble, but I know that a dip net is 100% legal. Get a net with like a 10 or 15 foot handle and use a trolling motor to stir up mud, push them against a bank, make them come to the surface, and scoop away.

chivo
02-26-2009, 05:28 PM
yeah, using a net is the most efficiant way to get them. If your thinking about going out to perris soon, i'd say wait. The shad aren't around. Give it a month or so, and they'll be everywhere. I was at the marina last week and the shad aren't there. when it warms up they get thick near shore.

annex138
02-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Yeah I know they are not out yet. I was just getting ready so when they do show up. Good info about kicking up mud. I'm not sure how that's going to work out for me. I think it might take me a few trys. Sounds like fun though

calico killer kevin
02-26-2009, 11:17 PM
To kick up mud, all you need to do is start by corraling them into a tight ball
near shore and start randomly throttling the trolling motor. That should get
enough mud off the bottom to get you started. Don't know how other guys
do it though.

jim532
02-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Has anyone actually used a sabiki to catch shad? I've seen some baitfish in the duct and thought about trying the sabiki there

annex138
02-27-2009, 02:01 PM
I have used them to catch chovies off piers up in the bay area. I have never used them in fresh water. It might be kind of hard to use in the duct. Off the piers you jig them up and down.

Skyler
02-27-2009, 02:48 PM
You can also put a couple of these out with bread in the bait basket:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7523/1000634.jpg

SOSO
03-01-2009, 01:43 AM
You can also put a couple of these out with bread in the bait basket:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7523/1000634.jpg

In S. Korea, when I was a kid 30 yrs ago. I used something very similar to that but made out of glass. We stuck dough inside. Placed them in shallow parts of rivers. Worked like a charm.

smitty99
03-01-2009, 05:10 AM
Skyler has it....add cat food. Game Over.

P.S. in Texas add one or two snakes...cottonmouth is normal so have a broomstick with bowie knife on end

Nessie Hunter
03-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Better check the DFG regs BEFORE you stick anything in the water... Especially a trap/cage OR ANY CHUM...
Calif Freshwater regs are pretty dam specific on what you can do in what Region.

Dont ask a Bubba or a poacher how to catch a fish and think your going to get a LEGAL response...

KNOW BEFORE you go...........

What ya gonna do when they come for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $$$$$$$

FISH ON
03-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Dip netting is the only way unless you want to use trebles of a sabiki. Not sure of the legalities of using a sabiki or treble, but I know that a dip net is 100% legal. Get a net with like a 10 or 15 foot handle and use a trolling motor to stir up mud, push them against a bank, make them come to the surface, and scoop away.
I think DFG says dip net can only be a max 6' diameter. including the handle.

Nessie Hunter
03-02-2009, 07:31 AM
I think DFG says dip net can only be a max 6' diameter. including the handle.

I think its 36" diameter net.. Handle can be extendable...

a 6 Ft diameter net would be HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

There ya go confusion!!!!!

Look it up.......

FISH ON
03-02-2009, 09:58 PM
I think its 36" diameter net.. Handle can be extendable...

a 6 Ft diameter net would be HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

There ya go confusion!!!!!

Look it up.......
well it looks like we are both wrong (somewhat) dfg book 2.09. says a standard landing type dip net not to exceed 36 in. in greatest dimension excluding handle......reg 1.42. dip net has to be hand held not more than 6ft. in greatest dimension excluding handle.

lurk 182
03-03-2009, 09:29 AM
get an ARC Shad Net and a whole bunch of patience. you need to go to a lake where the shad are up shallow in tight schools. you can't swipe at the school, you need to get the net into the area they're in and wait for them to swim into your net. once they're in, you pull hand over hand on the handle like a tug of war until the net is out of the water, don't try to chase them around like its a giant fly swatter, the resistance from the net is way too strong for you to be able to move it faster than the fish can swim. castaic in the fall, casitas in the spring, not sure about perris.

calico killer kevin
03-03-2009, 04:40 PM
well it looks like we are both wrong (somewhat) dfg book 2.09. says a standard landing type dip net not to exceed 36 in. in greatest dimension excluding handle......reg 1.42. dip net has to be hand held not more than 6ft. in greatest dimension excluding handle.
I think you have diameter and handle length mixed up. The diameter cannot
be larger than 36", but that does not mean the handle. The handle can be like 10-12ft I believe.

FISH ON
03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
I think you have diameter and handle length mixed up. The diameter cannot
be larger than 36", but that does not mean the handle. The handle can be like 10-12ft I believe. yea it says EXCLUDING HANDLE.

Skyler
03-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Better check the DFG regs BEFORE you stick anything in the water... Especially a trap/cage OR ANY CHUM...
Calif Freshwater regs are pretty dam specific on what you can do in what Region.

Dont ask a Bubba or a poacher how to catch a fish and think your going to get a LEGAL response...

KNOW BEFORE you go...........

What ya gonna do when they come for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $$$$$$$

"4.05. Bait Fish Capture Methods.
(a) Approved bait fish may be taken only by hand, with a dip net, or with traps not over three feet in greatest dimension."

It goes on to say, "Traps need not be closely attended."

I build my traps 34" across, and as an added bonus, they also double as crawdad traps in the summer, he he he.

Smitty: Do you use dry cat food, or canned? Thanks.