PDA

View Full Version : Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV-4?

bsp
02-24-2009, 05:57 PM
I have almost saved up enough money to get my own car (used), and was wondering if anybody had some input on either of these two cars. What I am looking for is a car that can haul 4 guys plus gear (rods, luggage, food, etc), has 4WD, and is not a gigantic gas guzzler (basically good gas mileage). The reason I chose these two to focus on is that they appeared to fit my criteria while not being too pricey.

I am open to other suggestions as well, given that they can be had for $8000 to $10000 used.

Thanks!

GeordyBass
02-24-2009, 07:06 PM
both are great vehicles.Both are also front wheel drive and "4x4" but they aint strong enough for muddin' just light 4x4(ex:ice,light trails).The rav4 is the best choice if you just want those 2...Try to consider a 4runner v6 4x4...about 20-25mpg and powerful and spacious too...or even a tacoma 4x4...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/1039801137.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/1043702980.html

or a tacoma:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1037999030.html

good luck!

sansou
02-24-2009, 07:19 PM
I have a 4Runner Limited, and without using the roof rack, there is no way I fit 4 people in my truck plus gear/coolers for a camp trip. So, if that is what you want in a SUV, don't even bother thinking of the Rav4 or CRV.

On the upside, I've gone places in my 4Runner that many other SUVs get stuck or lack the clearance....it's a nice "small" 4X4 SUV. My 9.5 foot jig sticks fit in it though, so thats a plus, and it tows my 17ft tracker easily. Downsides: Gas mileage on it isn't stellar (maybe 17/19mpg) and it has a smallish gas tank (big drawback if you do Mexico).

saintarv
02-25-2009, 12:12 AM
I have a 1997 RAV4 which I bought in 1996 and it only has 128k miles. It's for sale if you're interested. LOL j/k. Anyway Rav4's are great cars and plenty of room.

sansou
02-25-2009, 12:23 AM
I have a 1997 RAV4 which I bought in 1996 and it only has 128k miles. It's for sale if you're interested. LOL j/k. Anyway Rav4's are great cars and plenty of room.

You can put 4 people in your Rav with camping stuff? Daaaaang! I must need skinnier friends! LOL

Ricky-Ray
02-25-2009, 01:34 AM
Agree with Sansou, if your going with 4 guys and all of their rods and luggage you are not going to have enough space to fit everything.

Imagine what you are bringing and then multiple it by 4 and you'll soon realize there's not enough trunk space to fit everything.

bsp
02-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I guess I'll tell my friends to pack light then! Seriously though, as long as it can fit 4 smallish bags, 2 or 3 backpacks (tackle), and has enough room to stick some 9' jig sticks then I'll be fine. Paint balling, if I get into it, may be a problem though.

I am not going to go camping with this. It'll mainly be used to commute to school, drive to local half days trips and overnighters in SD, and go up to Mammoth/local mountains for a little bit of off roading to get to streams/rivers.

How are these cars off road anyway? I have read that they were good, but some 1st hand experience would be nice.

Ricky-Ray
02-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Don't forget to consider the cooler too. That will take up a large amount of space in either car and will severely reduce the amount of stuff you and your friends can pack into the car.

bsp
02-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Don't forget to consider the cooler too. That will take up a large amount of space in either car and will severely reduce the amount of stuff you and your friends can pack into the car.

I knew I was forgetting something. I guess if the cooler takes up too much room I can make the guys in the back put it on there laps :LOL:

TRDEXPERT
02-26-2009, 09:30 PM
You cant go wrong with a Toyota.. I can get you parts or accessories at my employee price.

Let me know

Skyler
02-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Neither. Go Suzuki all the way!

GeordyBass
02-27-2009, 01:29 PM
neither. Go suzuki all the way!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

vanillagurilla
02-27-2009, 01:38 PM
hahaha u ever get a window? toyota 4 life fools! i never had a toyota leave me stranded even with no water in the motor and a broken upper controll arm and still made it back 250 miles.

smitty99
02-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Get a double-cab Taco...you can't lose!

fish_sauce
02-27-2009, 02:07 PM
ive been a honda tech for about 9 years now. can't tell you much about the other makes, but crv's are nice because we hardly see any powertrain and drivetrain problems with them.

they're made in japan, so quality control is also a lot better that most domestic built hondas. so long as you keep up with your maintenance, theres a good chance that it'll last you a long time. If you're buying a used car, i recommend paying a little extra and get a Honda Certified Used car, as it is subjected to a higher standard inspection prior to being sold, and it comes with factory and used certified warranties (which will save you money in the long run in the event that you need a major repair done)

the older model cr-v's come with a built-in picnic table!

between the CRV and the Tacoma, it really depends on your preferences. You'll be able to do more with a Tacoma 4x4...if you get the V6 model, gas mileage will of course be significantly worse compared to the CRV's, but the trade-off of owning a truck might be worth it if you use it to tow a boat or transport a kayak in the future. I enjoy being able to just throw my wet waders and float tube in the back of my truck (nissan frontier) after a long day's fishing without having to worry about dirtying my interior with sand and water.

If you're planning on offroading, i would consider getting a truck over a crv or a rav4...the bigger tires on the tacomas and 4runners will give better traction, and provide better clearance when driving on uneven terrain. Good luck with the hunt! remember to be weary of small independent car dealers, and don't be afraid to shop around and ask for a price match/ price beat. Most domestic companies are offering huge rebates right now as they are eager to sell...so don't completely rule out Chevy or Ford!

smitty99
02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
The vehicles you mentioned are not built very well at all for off-road. They are glorified cars with 4-wheel drive. I'd stick with a 4-skinner or a Tacoma for sure. You can NOT go wrong with a Tacoma. I'd stay away from the CRV and the RAV. Neither will fit the gear or people that you want to haul.

bsp
02-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Cool... the Tacoma actually gets decent gas mileage. A pick up is what I wanted, but the thought of lousy gas mileage is what scared me off. I think that I may be more interested in a Tacoma than the CRV or RAV4.

New question! How do the Tacoma owners out there like theirs, and would the 2WD model be sufficient for occasional off roading?

TRDExpert: Thanks for the offer!

smitty99
02-28-2009, 03:21 AM
I've had a 2003 tacoma v6 trd 4x4 for 6 years. It only has 63k miles on it but never a single problem. Just change the oil and it runs like a top....as it should with only 62k miles.

2wheel drive prerunner is not bad (with the prerunner rear differential lockers) but better put some weight in the back if you hope to have a chance in anything mucky or slick.

Pickups are very very slick in the back and with no weight the rear tires are pretty much useless which defeats the point in having a Rear diff locker.

vanillagurilla
02-28-2009, 09:02 AM
i had an 08 tacoma single cab 4 cyl and i only got 22 mpg............

big dan
03-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Our daily drivers are a 99 CRV 4wd and an 07 Tacoma TRD double cab prerunner. The CRV’s extremely reliable and gets good mpg but as others have stated it’s not really built for going off-road and the “real-time 4 wheel drive” system is more of a gimmick.
The Tacoma is an awesome truck. When it came time to replace my 94 Toyota p/u I was on the fence between a new Taco and the Frontier. I’m glad I spent the extra dough on the Tacoma. I take my pre-runner off-road occasionally-it has great ground clearance and decent power, just know your limits.
In your price range you may be able to find a decent 1st gen pre-runner double cab. Not sure what kind of mileage you would get on those compared to a CRV or RAV4 though, even my ’94 w/ a 4 cyl was only good for low 20s mpg. Good luck.

bsp
03-03-2009, 05:20 PM
All right then, I think I will get a Tacoma.

trollmiester
03-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Lot of people buy a crv hinda and think they are buying a honda .A lot of the motors are the isuzu motor and says isuzu right on top. Let that be a warning you buy a honda it should have a honda motor.

smitty99
03-03-2009, 06:49 PM
My 2003 Taco just turned 60k miles. Its 4WD, SR5, V6, 5-speed, all the bells and whistles. I get about 17mpg on sidestreets, maybe 21 on highway. Keep in mind thats after I put 32.5 inch Goodyear MTRs on it ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/ssmith99/shooting4.jpg

fishindude
03-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Used BMW X5 with manual tranny.