PDA

View Full Version : Rock fish opener. need some helpful tips please.

jerichoWA
02-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Greetings fellow anglers. Im from washington state so im not too familiar with charter boat procedures here in Socal. Back home, the charter boats provide all equipment from rods to tackle which i was informed by the Sportking out of San Pedro is not the case here. All equipment must be either brought or rented. I am thinking of taking the 3/4 day trip to catalina for rock fish. what tackle should i purchase? what size pole do i need to use? Any information would be very helpful.

Jerich

atfish
02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
When I went on a 1.5 to punta colonett out of seaforth. I used my trolling rig with a double drop loop with rock fish flies. But we were fishing up to 300ft. Any bait would work. I hope some one else fills the gap

megafisher94
02-24-2009, 05:26 PM
i like a 7ft. fast action rod capable of handleing big fish, there are some big ones. 30lb line will probably be ok.
there are a multitude of jigs you can use too. talk to the guys in the tackle shop for info on that. cut squid, live anchovies, and live sardines will all work dependant on what your catching.
as far as hooks i use 1's or 1/0's
weights: 6 oz, 8 oz, or 12 oz. depending on how deep you are.

good luck

wkk
02-24-2009, 05:26 PM
It might be better to just rent from the landings. I know Pierpoint Landing and Redondo Sport Fishing will rent you a rod and reel. I think it's like $7-$10 or so. If you prefer to buy your own gear I'd go with either a Saltist 30 or Torium 16 (something similar to these) that'll be around $170 for the reels. You can buy the higher end reels if you'd like but these will be just fine. Any 7 ft 20-30 lbs rated rod will work just fine. The Rental reels are usually penn jig masters spooled with 25 lb line. This will be fine for rock fishing. You might want to purchase some flies or small 3 inch grubs to use on the lines. Buy 6 oz, 8 oz and 12 oz torpedo weights depending on how deep and how fast the current is. You want enought weight to get you down fast and keep you under the boat. I'd stick with using 8 to 12 oz weights if they're fishing deep. Try calling the landings to see what they recommend. Good luck.

Lipripper93561
02-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Pick up some irons, white (glow), chrome, 6-9 ounces depending on how deep you are fishing. Most of the guys will use bait, but try something different like the jigs, most likely you pick the pig out of that drift. Like said above the salist is a good reel, a 3.0 or 4.0 spooled with 30-50 pound braid on a 7 foot medium to stiff action rod, if you dont want to anchor to the bottom with the braid run a 10 foot section of mono 30lb test as a leader. The white glow irons are ling killers, and you can also pin a whole squid on that iron and jig it as well, it will keep the smaller fish off and bring the bigger ones in.

labboss2003
02-24-2009, 09:36 PM
I like to use a short 5 ' to 5 1/2' foot rod with a spread 4/0 30lb dacron . The reason for the short rod is it's a hell of a lot easier on your back ,the dacron dosent stretch so there no need for the extra couple of feet of rod to drive the hook.Depending on the depth and current or drift you will need a few 6 oz 1lb and 2 lb sinkers. Some ganions red and yellow blue and white . Few jigs if you jig, and you might want to pick up a pakage of trout pattern 8 in plastic swim baits put them on your ganion hooks and see what happens.......good luck .....................................BOB

ghetto dad
02-25-2009, 12:06 AM
the MAIN thing in all this is NOT to buy a HIGH SPEED reel!! You want something around 4:1.......

GD

jerichoWA
02-25-2009, 09:39 AM
I really appreciate all the advice. Thanks peeps. Im leaning more towards just renting the gear. It will probably save me alot of time and energy. I'll try to post a report after this weekend.

ghetto dad
02-25-2009, 09:44 AM
I really appreciate all the advice. Thanks peeps. Im leaning more towards just renting the gear. It will probably save me alot of time and energy. I'll try to post a report after this weekend.

make sure you DO NOT rent spinning gear!!!

GD

Cangler
02-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Renting would be best if your going for just one trip .. keep it simple ,
2 or 3 hook dropper baited with cut squid , drop and wind when your
told to

chris
02-25-2009, 10:01 AM
I would just rent a set-up from them and drooper loop whatever baits they're running, might even be live squid this weekend. If you cannot tie a drooper loop tip your deckhand in advance and have him teach you. Bring extra torpedo lead 4 ,6 or 8 should work. Get ready to drop and wind allll day long

fishrookie
02-26-2009, 07:26 PM
is this the drooper loop you are talking about?
http://www.animatedknots.com/dropperloop/index.php

fishrookie
02-26-2009, 07:37 PM
or this knot?
http://www.huntfishcampwisconsin.com/Droploop.html

sansou
02-26-2009, 08:02 PM
is this the drooper loop you are talking about?
http://www.animatedknots.com/dropperloop/index.php

That's the one.

Cheap hooks (mustads, matzuos...in the 4/0 or larger), cheap snap swivels and the cheapest lead you can find. That's the basic idea.