PDA

View Full Version : Late Lower Otay Report: 2/21/09

Socal Bassman
02-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Well, we had our club tournament out there saturday. My boater and I actually left the night before so we could get a good spot in line. By the time we got there at 8:00p.m., we were about 15 cars back. As the line grew throughout the night, we found out that there were supposed to be five other clubs going to be out there. With six club tournaments combined with the rains that hammered the area the previous week, this was going to be an interesting outing. The weather was nice out there though. It started out as a bit chilly in the morning and overcast. As the morning wore on, the sun peaked here and there through the scattered clouds. Water temps were 56*F and warmed up to 59*F by the afternoon.

We started fishing the shoreline on the opposite side of the launch ramp. Started out throwing some jerkbaits and spinnerbaits for a little while to see if I can get a couple on the reaction stuff. No such luck. Switched off to the trusty dropshot with a 6" Roboworm in Margarita Mutilator for a little while with no takers. Decided to take off the Margarita and thread on a 6" Warmouth. No luck on that color either. We decided to make a move and headed over to the Harvey Arm. There, we saw an armada of boats. The bass boats were lined up near the shallows, while a line of aluminum boats were down the center fishing for crappie or something. Unlike the stained water clarity of the main lake, the water clarity in the Harvey arm was muddy with visibility down to about 2ft. Seeing how muddy the water was, I decided to take of the 6" Robo and switch to something a little bulkier and move a little more water. So I tied on a 7" Robo. Sorry can't remember the exact name of the color. I thought it was black grape, which was the color I intended on tying on, but as I threaded it on I noticed it was not as dark as black grape. We fished everywhere from 30ft. of water to 5ft. of water for nothing. Then as I was about to give up on the dropshot and give the jig a try, I felt two very light taps. I lowered the rod tip, reeled down on the fish, and set the hook. After a slight tussle, we got the fish in the boat. Unfortunately, that was the only bite I would get the rest of the day. As we talked to others out on the water, the word was pretty much slow fishing for everyone. We actually headed in early to try and beat the 3:00p.m. rush.

Here is my dink for the month and my first bass for the year.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/Otay22109.jpg

Fresh H2O Bill
02-24-2009, 05:43 AM
Socal Bassman,

Thanks for the nice detailed report. Had to be tough out there with all that traffic. At least you were able to scratch out one, 1st of the year at that! Way to stay focused and determined.

Bill

Matthew 4:19

tacklejunkie
02-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Nice goin' Socal. Keep on 'em. Weather has to be playing tricks on the fish right now.

matt duarte
02-25-2009, 12:17 PM
nice socal! the colors on that bass look awesome! the weather has defently been playin some tricks, i have yet to get my first bass of the year! hopefully it will be soon..might have to put the swimbaits down just to beat the skunk haha

Eat Sleep Fish
02-25-2009, 03:20 PM
one is better than none. 1 > 0

RoastedBlueGill
02-25-2009, 05:47 PM
if i may ask, what club are you in? i was there the same day, i saw just as many boats, we ended up around the thirtieth boat in line. caught a small limit though, a lot of dinks too.

Socal Bassman
02-25-2009, 11:00 PM
if i may ask, what club are you in? i was there the same day, i saw just as many boats, we ended up around the thirtieth boat in line. caught a small limit though, a lot of dinks too.

Suncountry Bassmasters