PDA

View Full Version : The Vine 2/21...Skunk Beater!

MAVERICK27
02-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Well, I had been trying to get some old friends to come fishing with me for a while. Saturday 3 of them were in! :LOL: All I could think about was post cold front conditions, stained water and wierd weather. :Sad: I kept saying "I finally get them to come out and fishing will be tough". Well, I finally figured that a day on the lake with no fish sure beats a day at home with no fish :Envious:. I got there at opening and hit a spot close to the doc...no love and not a good sign. The guys called me from the doc to pick them up. We set up on the West Shore...no love...then trolled for about 45 minutes...no love, then baited in the Flats...no love. So, we decided to try for some cat for the hell of it. We parked by one of the locals and watched him catch a few, but he must have had a nice hole because we came up with nada! Its tough to fish when I spent a lot of time rigging and baiting for the fellas. :Confused:

I dropped the guys off at the doc at 2 so they could go home and headed back out. I hit the West Shore and tossed out some Nightcrawlers. I hooked up a 2 or 3 lb steelie that coughed it up right at the net :Angry:...then got 2 more bites, but no hookset. :mad:

So, here is my saving grace ....I always like to have a line in at the doc while I wait for the boaters to trailer thier boats. Well, its my ritual. While I was talking to a very nice guy and his wife about the huge fish they caught trolling,...my rod tapped 3 times. I thought it was a blue gill...until I set the hook and it loaded up like it was caught?? Then my drag went zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the fish ran from the bow at the doc to about thirty feet across the boat launch. I put my rod on the roof of the boat, ran back to the stern and grabbed it and kept fighting. A guy on his pontoon saw the fish jump a foot out of water so he stopped so he wouldn't break me off (thanks!). Anyway, I now have a crowd of like 12-15 people all watching me fight the fish (on my lil 5' Kencor with 4lb) Anyway, the fish took 3 more huge runs and pulls 20-30 feet of line each time. The guy that caught the 9lbr boarded my boat and helped me net it. It ended up being a 4 lb even Steelhead! I know, not huge in your eyes...BUT hands down the hardest fight and the most fun of any fish I have caught the entire year!!! I love the steelhead. I wish that was all they stocked. If given the choice, I would rather catch a 4 lb steelhead than a 10lb rainbow. I'm dead serious! Anyway, I was excited and avoided the skunk once more!!! :Finger::Skunk:

Here is the only pic I got at the lake. Thank you to the gentleman who helped with the net and took the pic for me and the guy who avoided cutting my line with his pontoon. :Thumbs Up:Turned out to be a very nice colored fish with a great tail.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_0669.jpg

Rooster
02-23-2009, 12:03 PM
wow,, What a great lookin steelie.. That thing looks like a fighting machine. Props on getting that toad to the net. Hope 2 cya out there this Saturday.

Daryl
02-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Nice report Mav. I love those last minute catches.

Seng90806
02-23-2009, 01:32 PM
nice going out there bro...thats a nice looking fish

shy_boxer
02-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Nice end of the day skunk breaker! Thanks for the report!

MAVERICK27
02-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks guys! I'm sure my skunk day is coming...hopefully not soon :)

dirty girl
02-23-2009, 02:05 PM
great story mav! must be more fun when you least expect it! congrats on that beautiful steelie!
keepin it dirty
dirty girl

calico killer kevin
02-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Cool Mav! Sometimes they're scattered all over the lake, but seem to
congregate around the boat launch area. Why? I can't really figure that out
because there is absolutely no cover of any sort around there.

troutdog
02-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Nice job on the "last cast" fish Mav. I certainly remember that beautiful fish when they stocked the steelies....his name was Dan. :LOL: I'm sure I'll see you on the lake very soon.

TD

BingJr
02-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Mavy, You da man. Huge Gratz!

Troutman65
02-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Hey Mav, nice going on that Steelhead :!!!::!!!:

All I know is the fish are in the lake and its jut a matter of time till they go on the chew and it will be a WIDE OPEN BTE.

See you on the water bro.

MAVERICK27
02-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Gracias my peeps! Yeah they'll come back out to play. I'll let you know how this weekend goes!!

Thansk TD and Binger!! When are we fishing together...Me, Binger, TD..team Trout Slayers :)

diamondbear
02-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Its always fun to bring the freinds on board , nice save Mavrick . GOOD LOOKING FISH .

TroutOnly
02-24-2009, 08:30 PM
thats a beautiful fish,,,,,,,,T/O

KEL40
02-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Nice job Mav!! As usual nice report bro!!Congrats on your 4 pound steelie!!

yamafish
02-25-2009, 06:35 AM
Mav,
Nice fish :Big Grin:
That lil' Kencor is gettin' a workout with all the fish you're pulling in on it.

C ya soon,
Rodger

CASTAWAY
02-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Good job on the steelie.....:Cool:

MAVERICK27
02-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Yeah Rog...good thing the Kencor has a good warranty ha! Love that thing! DB, always a pleasure hearing your kind words.

Thanks T/O, feels nice to hear that from you. Huge respect!

Kel, not exactly the 6lb'r I saw you with,but a whole lot of fun :)

Gracias Casty!!

Little Bass Mike
02-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Good stuff Mav.. great story. I woulda been one of the 12-15 people watching you.. sounded exciting. :)