PDA

View Full Version : San Martin on the Orion

DavidE
02-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Headed out Friday afternoon from Seaforth on board the Orion to San Martin.

The ride down was smooth and the group of guys on board were awesome.
Everyone had a good time BS'ing and hanging out. Being the new guy to this fishing group, I made a couple new friends on the stern.

Saturday morning we hit our first spot for a 400FT drop. On goes the black 16oz jig. Drop and sink and sink and sink and sink. Then THUD!! Wind and wind and wind and wind then .... wind some more and wind and wind ... then a big @55 boccacio is on my jig. Up and over the rail and wind em boyz we're moving.

Second spot is not as much winding and we get plenty of reds and assorted rockfish. The reds were running 5-7 lbs with a mix of 2-3 pounders as well.

Third drift, the shrimp has defrosted and from then on Big Big ... Did I say BIG Whitefish!!! Some of these things looked like they could go 12-15 lbs. I don't know if the did but these were HUGE!!

In addition to these beasts we got into a group of Goats that loved the shrimp. Big Goats 10 lbs, 7 lbs, etc ... then the females 2-3 lbs, etc ....

We did manage 1 yellow that hit a megabait with a squid strip attached. That fish went 20-25lbs.

Day one ended with everyone tired and lots of fish.

Day two was drifting for more of the same but heading north. The current was ripping pretty good both days so staying on the bottom was tricky sometimes.

Anyways I didn't fish as hard on day 2 pretty much because I was beat and had a ton of fish. I think I ended with:

10 whitefish
10 assorted rockfish
(4-5 sheephead - 4-5 Reds)
1 Big Boc

That looks about right.

Anyways way good times on the Orion!! Capt Bryan is a fish killer for real !!!

Later

dirty girl
02-23-2009, 11:14 AM
thanx for the report david. it sounds like both an exhilirating and exhausting time! i cant wait to get out that way for some quality big salt fishing. let me know if you will be on any overnight trips! enjoy your fillets!

keepin it dirty,
dirty girl

deanhall32
02-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Nice job David. Sounds like a good warm-up trip for the 2 1/2 dayer in the prime time of summer.

Can't wait!!!

sansou
02-23-2009, 12:36 PM
C'mon David, your teasing us when you don't post pics!!

Sounds like a good freezer trip was had, with a good amount of quality goats to boot. Very nice!

Out of curiousity, did the boat take you guys south enough to where you hit the typical SQ spots (15/240)? In any event, as you know, it's such an amazingly beautiful and barren coastline. Let's hope they never build that commercial port (Colonet).

I've always liked the little Orion, and I keep hearing nothing but continued good things about the boat & crew...maybe a quickie trip late summer when the surface fish are around might be in order for me!

I'm hoping Mother Nature cooperates and the YT will be around for us this weekend.

JapanRon
02-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi DavidE,

400 feet ..... 400 feet ..... 400 feet ........ time for major on-board maintence on my tackle, clearing out my tackle bag, having breakfast, having lunch, having a snack, having dinner, and finally going to bed ..... Early !! Ditto the second day !!

However, WTG on YOUR trip and all the great fish caught and laid up for some fantastic dinners. I know the thump-thump and the last 10 cranks of the reel are fun-times but ohhhh that in-between !!

Appreciate the great report and headsup on a good moo-moo.

JapanRon

DavidE
02-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Dirty Girl - It sure was exhausting but way worth it!!! I'll definetly let you know about any overnighters. Actually one of my buddies asked for Capt'n Bryan's contact number so he can put a father/son mother/daughter type trip together this spring.

Dean - All I was thinking when we were coming up the line was "this time this summer, we'll still be fishin!!" I can't wait either

Sansou - Sorry about no pix. I usually let someone else take the photos. I have to get me a salt water digital. I don't know how far south we went but we did see some crazy boilers off the backside of the island. You're absolutely right that place is beautifull.
The Orion is definetly a fishy boat. You should jump on sometime. I plan on doing a few trips this season. I'll let you know as well when something comes together. Good luck this weeekend!!

Japan Ron - Man you really feel my pain huh!!?? I especially appreciate the going to bed EARLY part !!!

Good times on the Orion.

Thanks for all the kind words!!

pineapple express
02-25-2009, 12:22 AM
vetty nice.....!!! wtg davidE. while i was in the city of lost wages $$$
you where slaying em... ><> ><> ><> awesome. wish i could of joined y'all.
mahaloz fo da report
PE

DavidE
02-25-2009, 09:08 AM
What up PE!!!!! How was ur trip??? Are u ballin or crawlin?? LOL

When we gonna head out?? Lets try to do another spring run ... What do u think??

Trout Nine
02-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Nice report.... 400FT drop and a 16oz jig I know that had you going all morning
but I know it was well worth it WTG on the nice fish. I'll be heading out on the Voyager
tomorrow I hope I get a nice bite like yours.

DavidE
02-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Good Luck !!! From what I hear Jodie kills 'em down there !!!