PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Report - 2/21

Jimmo
02-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Report Headline: Slow day, got two bass in 5 hours. However, according to the results of the Nat'l Bass West tournament that day, we'd have placed 24th out of 32 entrants...

Was on the lake with my 10-year-old son, his friend, and his friend's dad, neither of whom has done much bass fishing. I spent a good bit of time re-tying, untangling, etc. so my average casts-per-hour was way down. I knew it would be a tough day, given that we got on the water around 10A, and with the tournament on there were boats stacked up on just about every point. Nonetheless, committed to the drop-shot and threw oxblood and Margarita Mutilator Roboworms for a while with no luck. Switched to a hologram shad Roboworm minnow and hooked up on the first cast, about 20 feet offshore just inside Utopia cove. Nice 2.5-pounder and I figured I had the color of the day all figured out. Wrong. No love on the dropshot after that. Also fly-lined a wacky-rigged 6" watermelon Senko off and on -- still nothing.

Around 2P I decided to try the ski arm and change baits so I tied-on a watermelon jig with a watermelon plastic trailer and chucked it parallel to shore (I think I'd been working the shallows too much). Missed a huge strike on about my fifth cast (because I was yacking at my son for not putting on sunscreen) but managed to pick up a 2-pounder about 3 minutes later. I think it was about 40 feet of water -- I don't have a fish finder.

From what I heard at the boat ramp and read online, it was a tough day but hopefully the WFO spring bite is just around the corner!