PDA

View Full Version : Hook remover

fishmounter
02-22-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm sitting here watching Bill Dance catch bass after bass, and he has this cool little orange hook remover that really works great on taking out those treble hooks from all those fish. I found it in my Bass Pro Shops catalog ($9.99) and just wonder if anyone has used this thing. I've always just used my old needle nose pliers, but if there is an easier, quicker and does less damage to the bass, I'm going to go buy one. I've also seen a larger version used on billfish and tuna, etc.. Anyone use these? Any comments?

calico killer kevin
02-22-2009, 12:11 PM
I've seen lots of trout anglers using them for the tiny little trebles and
they're only like $3-$4 at Walmart of Chalet, but I don't know how they'd
handle big trebles. I would stick with needle nose because they don't
usually swallow trebles anyway.

That Dang Guy
02-22-2009, 10:40 PM
It really depends what you're fishing for. If you're using bait and trebles, it's definitely helps. If you're talking about trebles on lures, it wont. There needs to be line to slide the tool down until it hits the trebles. You push down, on tight line, and the tool covers up the barbs of the trebles and pushes out of the flesh. You pull them out both together. If the trebles were on a lure, this method is complete ineffective.

fishmounter
02-23-2009, 05:05 PM
No man, I'm not talking about that weird double-ended red plastic hook remover that you use for trout. (I don't even fish for trout) I'm talking about a hook remover that is made to remove ANY kind of hooks, especially trebles that are on crankbaits, topwater bass baits, etc..

calico killer kevin
02-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Why not just some needlenosers. I've rarely seen lmb's, let alone any fish
swallow trebles for a lure, especially cranks, topwater, etc.

fishmounter
02-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I do use needlenose pliers and they work ok, but after seeing this thing that these guys were using, it was very fast and easy, a cool little item. You know fishermen. Always gotta spend $ on new stuff to try...

mdttb
02-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Bill Dances Hook Remover

DarkShadow
02-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Bill Dances Hook Remover

That looks like the Prostate Exam 2000™ by Acme

Atlaua
02-24-2009, 09:29 AM
It looks like an adjustable IUD.

Yikes.