PDA

View Full Version : Skunked At The Duct (2/21/09)

radray
02-21-2009, 09:33 PM
My friend Jason and I decided to fish the duct for the first time. It was our first time fishing the duct and we did not know where to go or what to expect. I called Bob's Bait Bucket in Bakersfield and he suggested the duct across from the Buena Vista Golf Course in Taft. We got there about 1:30 AM and fished at the pump station. It was cold and foggy, but we threw lipless shad crankbaits, shad swimbaits both hard baits and plastic and even did some bait and wait using anchovies. We could not get a thing to bite. There were some locals who caught a 25 lb carp, but that was not the game we were after. The gates were closed and the water was not flowing around the Taft area. We then tried fishing duct at Tuppman and the same thing. I spoke with another local who said they managed to catch some dinks at Freeborn but it has been very slow.

Anyways, despite the skunk we learned something new and did something we have never tried. The hardest part for us was not knowing what to expect and where to fish, but after our trip we can say that we learned something new and appreciate more the successful duct fishermen in this forum. It definitely is not easy and you have to work at it while being safety minded. If someone here was introduced to to duct fishing and showed around in person or given tips be sure to tahnk them because we could have used someone knowledgeable showing us around to help cut the learning curve.

Gary, Spooky 007, Striper Bill and Trailblazer. Damn you guys! Hahahahhahahahaha.... If it were not for your posts and duct success we would not be motivated to drive far and freeze our buns off in hopes of some stripers. In all seriousness, thank you guys for sharing. Your knowledge are priceless and efforts commendable. It's thanks to you guys that we are motivated to fish even whe conditions are tough. Striper Bill, thank you for your web site and answering some of my questions about the Duct. They were very helpful and a good resource to anyone fishing the duct.

Anyways, keep posting. I look forward to fishing ith you guys in the future because I need all the help I can get fishing the Duct.

Raymond

kpn
02-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Raymond,
Welcome to the Duct fishing world! The Duct is not an easy place to fish if you don't know what you're doing. Don't feel bad buddy, I've been fishing the duct many times with a big.......O.....skunk :ROFL:. You have to pay your due first :LOL:. Keep at it and you will get em.

KPN.

PS: Read Gary's report carefully and this http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=29432
You'll find out a bit more about the Duct.

radray
02-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Khan we all have to put some time in to get good at something and that is true for fishing as well, but the learning curve can be cut with the help of friendly people willing to share their time to educate other. My fishing time has been cut back considerably due to my work schedule and every time I get a chance to go, I am just thankful whether I catch something or not. I have a boat and all these gears and I can't use them because of time constraints. I have not forgotten about taking you out on it. The last time I was out with my boat was when you saw me at Castaic and gave me one of your lures.

Your new skinny shad looks good by the way and it looks like it's a fish catcher from the pics I see with Gary and his stripers. Keep making kick *** lures Khan and I wish you all the success with it. It's good to see you doing something you enjoy. Anyways, when my schedule allows, i hope to fish with you guys. Fishing is fun, but a lot funner with the company of good people.

Until next time.

Raymond

P.S. It's 2009 and I have only gone out to fish twice and I have yet to catch my first fish for 2009. 2 years ago I fished 4-5 days a week and was slaying the Lagoon bass and catching quality fish with crappy gear. Now, I have good gear and not catching anything. Hahahahahhahahaha.