PDA

View Full Version : newb to ocean

snoman
04-15-2007, 09:32 PM
i hope this is the right section for this. when my uncle gets his boat back in the water, i am hoping to go fishing again with him, but i dont want to get to see sick and make the trip not so fun. what is the best way to prevent sea sickness? [ other than not going on the boat] ive seen a lot off different brands off pills, and heard some that dont work to well. can some one name a good brand, or another solution?

hope this is the right section for this.

Re8elmonk0341
04-15-2007, 09:34 PM
I take dramamine (i think thats how its spelled) less drowsy. works for me, i take like 1 hr before my trip.

Fisherman57
04-15-2007, 09:41 PM
The best means of preventing seasickness is to take steps prior to even setting foot on a boat. Some well known over the counter medications for preventing seasickness include brand name drugs such as Dramamine, Bonine, Meclizine and Benadryl. Several stronger, more effective seasickness medications, including Promethazine and Ephedrine are also available by prescription only. Both the over-the-counter and prescription drugs generally work well for preventing seasickness, or for helping you recover more quickly once seasickness has begun. Many people are fearful of taking these medications, however, because of the possible negative side effects. In most cases, however, the side effects (which typically include drowsiness and blurred vision) are nowhere near as unpleasant as seasickness itself. Medications such as those mentioned above also need to be taken at least a half hour ahead of time in order to do the job. Some users simply fail to allow enough time for these drugs to take effect, and consequently write them off as “ineffective.�

There are also natural alternatives to seasickness drugs. One of the best-known remedies is ginger. According to MotherNature.com, a natural products/health advice Web site, several studies conducted have shown that taking two 500 milligram ginger capsules to be more effective in combating seasickness than the recommended dosage of Dramamine. The German researchers that conducted these studies believe that ginger works via the digestive tract, instead of shutting down messages traveling to the brain (as most anti-nausea drugs function). Taking ginger capsules just prior to your planned boating or fishing trip, or at the first signs of nausea, should help prevent or lessen the severity of seasickness. If you don’t have access to ginger capsules, try eating some ginger snap cookies or drinking ginger ale. These sources of ginger are not as strong or pure, but they should help a little.

Another popular option for preventing seasickness is what has become known as “the patch.� Worn behind the ear, such patches gradually release the drug Scopolamine into the body (over the course of three days). These patches are available only by prescription, and must be applied at least eight hours before exposure to work as intended. Like seasickness pills, Scopolamine patches can produce various side effects, including dry mouth, blurry vision, drowsiness and dizziness. Despite these possible drawbacks, the patch remains an effective option for seasick-proned boaters and anglers.

A drug-free option for preventing seasickness is available in the form of “wristbands� offered by various manufacturers. This concept was invented by physician and surgeon Dr. Daniel Choy in 1980 during the Newport-Bermuda yacht race, when the seasickness pills he was carrying got wet and melted in his pocket. It was then that Dr. Choy found considerable relief from seasickness by pressing the Nei-kuan pressure point, located just above the crease of the wrist, towards the elbow, midway between the flexor tendons. Medical researchers hypothesize that there are precise neuroanatomical relationships between the Nei-kuan point and the hypothalamus, cerebellum and brain stem. Wristband type solutions for seasickness are available over-the-counter through most drug stores. You can also purchase them online at BoatersWorld.com (http://www.BoatersWorld.com). According to the manufacturers, these bands are incredibly safe and effective, and can be used by both children and adults, even expectant mothers, without any problems.

Of course, the best way to prevent seasickness is to take preventative action, but what happens if you find yourself becoming seasick anyway. The best course to take is to recognize and react to any symptoms as early as possible. What are the early warning signs? Yawning, drowsiness, fatigue and lethargy are the pre-cursors to seasickness. Problem is, these signs can be hard to recognize, especially if you are already tired. Most people don’t detect oncoming seasickness until there are more obvious signs, such as stomach discomfort (nausea) and slight sweating, excessive salivating or belching. As you start to become seasick, you’ll find that performing various tasks requiring mental concentration becomes more difficult. Even simple assignments, such as threading line through the guides of a rod or tying on a hook become seemingly impossible.

Seasickness is obvious in its more advanced stages, when vomiting usually begins.
As mentioned, in order to avoid getting to this point, do something before these serious symptoms occur. Take anti-motion sickness medication. Avoid small, cramped spaces, get out in the fresh air, and take slow, deep breaths. Try going up on deck and looking at the horizon to eliminate visual conflict. Stay around midship or aft, where the pitching and rolling of the ship is less intense. Also be sure to avoid alcohol and smoking – this will only make your condition worse. The worst thing you can do is to stay in a confined area (such as the galley) where there is typically smoke and various odors, and be sure not to eat any greasy or spicy food being served up. You can try downing some soda crackers, but that’s about it. Don’t sit inside and try to read either, thinking the distraction will help. Trying to focus on the print while the boat moves is a sure way to bring on seasickness. While the tendency is to go off by yourself when seasick, don’t let your embarrassment discourage you from seeking aid from others onboard, such as the skipper or crew members, that may be able to offer helpful suggestions and/or time-tested remedies. The skipper may also be able to make a course adjustment that will make the ride a little less rough.

If you do become seasick, remember to replace the nutrients lost from your system due to repeated vomiting. Even if you don’t feel like eating, force yourself to consume small amounts of saltines, broth and fluids that include glucose and electrolytes. Doing so will help alleviate continued bouts of nausea, strengthen your system, and move you along on the road to recovery.

and YES............. I copy and pasted this info from another site.

snoman
04-15-2007, 09:50 PM
WOW! 57, thank you for all the help. i will take dramamine before i go next time.

did you type that all up just now? if so you really type fast. again thank you for the help.

Greg Madrigal
04-15-2007, 11:32 PM
LOL!!!! HAHAHA

57, I was reading your post and started thinking..."He friggin copy and pasted this $h^t!"

Glad you owned up to it in the end! :P

Good response actually- to a good question. Thanks!

GM

4_D_ HALIBUT
04-16-2007, 08:14 AM
I would recomend going to the doctor and have him prescribe you the Transderm Scop patch.

kingjester13
04-16-2007, 08:29 AM
also, the more often you go out on a boat the less you get sick. that is how you get immune to seasickness, and earn your "sea legs"... I'ev chummed up the waters a few times, just kept fishing tho and slept on the ride home. I Took a buddy out on his 1st overniter, we were in a WFO yellowtail bite, he would reel, blow chunks, reel... he out fished me and took the jackpot on that trip. If your on a private boat just wait till the swells are not as bad as they are now.

Thats My :2cents: ,
KJ13 8)

IslandBoi
04-16-2007, 08:34 AM
I was reading this and was like damn, Dana is the man!!!! hahahahaha

One thing with dramamine .... Take it the night before, to see how your body reacts, some people may have an allergic reaction....

My cousin took it about 30 minutes before our trip on a 3/4 moo-moo. He had a bad reaction to it while going out and the Coast Guard almost had to come get him, that's how abd he got, he was puking and bad chills and it pretty much sucked for him. $65.00 to puke and sleep all day on a boat.

good luck dude .....

sansou
04-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Agree to all the above everyone has contributed, and also would like to mention that you can steep some ginger root (ie. make a tea) and drink it before boarding, and even chill it and sugar it to have while onboard.

Funjunkie74
04-16-2007, 12:11 PM
As the king of Sea sickness (in my own mind), I have found that many of the above solutions work for some and make it worse for some.
I am the latter. Dramamine made me worse off than I was straight forward sea sick.

I don't know why, but 8 of 10 trips I'm fine. But those 2 trips, depending on conditions, is a nightmare. Excluding long trips (more than one night) I have come up with a "works for me" solution. No guarantees that it will absolutely work for you, but it has taken care of me for most of my trips.

1. Don't drink coffee in the morning. If you're a coffee in the morning person, like me, don't have any till you get on the boat. Coffee is a stimulant , which is why it wakes yo **s up in the morning, and this burst of caffeine can over stimulate your nerves making you sensitive to the motion.

2. Make sure to bring simple carbohydrates. As mentioned, saltines are good, pretzels or I bring small "snack size" chocolate. After yacking, you're body will go into hypoglycimea (lack of sugar in the blood stream) and you will feel even worse. So a simple sugar to bring that back up is a good thing. Avoid carbonation and acidic drinks (OJ, lemonade, etc). Just in case you have to go for "round 2" of yakking, you don't want that acid burning your throat.

3. Although I have not yet done it myself yet, but planning to, I hear great things about the epidermal patch that goes on behind the ear. You should check with your doctor (as it is a prescription based product) to see if it'll work for you.

As Sansou mentioned, ginger root has been proven to relieve a lot of the symptoms too. I saw it on the Discovery channel "Myth Busters" and although it wasn't a complete "cure" per say, but it did make the dude feel a lot better. I'm also looking into this for myself too.

Don't forget to post your results after you get back on your trip!!
Share the knowledge!

Funjunkie

getinmybelly
04-16-2007, 01:48 PM
I second the ginger tea. You can go to chinatown and in any of those markets you can find ginger tea. or you can try ranch market or a korean market. it's pretty inexpensive, like a box of 10 packets of ginger tea for like $3. the packet has a bunch of dried ginger pellets in it. just mix with hot water and you're good to go.

it really helps calm my stomach. i usually make a travel mug of it before i head out and drink the first cup on the boat on the way out of the harbor. i makes me burp and toot alot, so be forewarned, you'll probably need to hang out at the back of the boat after you drink a cup to inconspicuously set your gas free.

if the ginger is too funky for you, you can always add honey.

one_leg
04-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Chummers. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

IslandBoi
04-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Yea, I don't get it how some of my cousins get sea sick and even my brothers too, it's like

HELLO , WE ARE FROM A DAMN ISLAND!!!!!!!

hahahahahahaha

snoman
04-16-2007, 07:17 PM
thanx for all the replies and help. i will be trying these solutions for sure. thanx again.

snoman

DavidE
04-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Scop Patch !!!!

spiceguy
04-17-2007, 09:24 AM
I use Bonine. It won't make me drowsy and it always works.

POSTAL
04-17-2007, 11:17 PM
never been sea sick ever :wink:

one_leg
04-17-2007, 11:27 PM
As a kid I used to take those Jolly Rancher Lemon sticks with me.
Worked every time. Not Apple, Not Cherry. Lemon. Gotta be Lemon.
When I started diving I had no problems.

smokehound
04-18-2007, 06:36 PM
I prefer more natural means of controlling any queasiness. Also makes the catch more flavorful.

BUT thats just me. :)

one_leg
04-18-2007, 06:48 PM
I prefer more natural means of controlling any queasiness. Also makes the catch more flavorful.

BUT thats just me. :)

Maybe it wasn't the Jolly Ranchers after all.

Troutman65
04-30-2007, 09:01 PM
I have been known to chum over the rail once in a while. It usually occurs after a long swig of whiskey ( JACK D) It kind of bounces right back up. I call it the bounce factor