PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for stopping seasickness

bassin g
02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
I would really like to do some saltwater fishing this year but I get seasick the stuff in cvs
that starts with a D has'nt worked for me any help would be great.

gavin310
02-20-2009, 02:20 PM
i get bad seasickness. Don't do the natural methods like ginger, etc., they didn't work for me. Buy "bonine" and follow the directions. Take it about an hour before the boat leaves and take it on schedule. I can't emphasize that more. I came very close to getting seasick on a 3 day trip because I forgot to take one of the pills on time. I had to lie down until the pill kicked in and then I was fine. If I had waited longer it would have been too late. My brother didn't take his and he was trying to tell me that "it's all in your head" ... about an hour and a half later he was puking.

Ricky-Ray
02-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Try taking Dramamine the night before the trip just before you go to sleep that way it's already in your system. Just before you get on the boat take another one and your good for another 8 hours or so. If your gonna be out longer then pop another one later in the day. Or try Bonine it's suppose to be stronger than Dramamine.

Don't get drunk the night before because that will really mess you up the next day. Stay well hydrated, avoide eating greasy food's in the morning. If the waves are a bit choppy do not go into the bunk room or galley that will just make it worse. Move towards the stern and stay around the middle of it that's the most stable area. Keep your eye on the horizon and take some deep breaths of fresh air.

Keeping your eye's on the horizon and fresh air is the key to calming the affects of seasickness. Your inner ear's equillibrium can't balance itself that's the cause of seasickness. Keeping your eyes on the horizon will help your inner ear balance itself.

Crackers, clear sodas, and anything ginger like ginger ale, ginger snaps will also help calm the stomach.

Ricky-Ray
02-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Other option would be to see your doctor for a prescription of scopace.

ghetto dad
02-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Other option would be to see your doctor for a prescription of scopace.

thats the way to go right there.....

GD

greg
02-20-2009, 07:21 PM
I like to use the scopolamine patch. Put the patch on at least 6 hours prior to departure and replace with 1/2 patch every three days. Side effects include a very dry mouth and feeling tired. Also, up close vision gets messed up.

bassin g
02-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the advice I feel I will be better prepared next time out

vinlandviking
02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
like ricky said take the meds the night before

bonitoboy
02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Hello,

Pretty much any of the cold or allergy medications (including otc) that prevents runny nose, excess phlegm or mucus, will work. Most medication that work by drying out the sinuses will also have an impact on the fluid in the ears that will cause you to get sick/lose equilibrium. I use benadryl that I pick up at the 99cent store. Much cheaper than paying a co-pay to see the doc as well as the RX. My sister is an MD. She used to give me prescriptions for some major stuff, which I did not like because it would really knock me out. She told me about the benadryl which I thought worked great without the drowsiness (just have to find the right dosage for motion-sickness; you will take less for motion-sickness.)