PDA

View Full Version : bluegill/pumpkinseed/catfish food?

lilmystery246
02-19-2009, 08:39 PM
hey i have a nice big tank i got for half price at walmart :Secret: i have bluegill/pumpkinseed/ and yellow bullhead catfish. i was wondering if they sell food for those fish because the things i whould give them like hot dogs whould dirty the tank so any suggestions on any good food to feed them?

EvilFett
02-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Post a pic of the tank. Try mealworms or any worm for that matter. Hey I was the one driving by that asked you if u had any luck fishing at laguna.

calico killer kevin
02-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Dry bloodworms will be perfect. Don't feed them too much cause two small
catfish can produce a lot of poo...:Big Grin:

lilmystery246
02-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Post a pic of the tank. Try mealworms or any worm for that matter. Hey I was the one driving by that asked you if u had any luck fishing at laguna.

hey was up yea i remember you:Smile:

Seng90806
02-19-2009, 10:04 PM
hey i have a nice big tank i got for half price at walmart :Secret: i have bluegill/pumpkinseed/ and yellow bullhead catfish. i was wondering if they sell food for those fish because the things i whould give them like hot dogs whould dirty the tank so any suggestions on any good food to feed them?

feed them deep fried LMB :LOL: or feed them whatever you caught them on

old pudd fisher
02-19-2009, 10:38 PM
What is a pumpkinseed fish? Thats a new one for me.

a biley
02-19-2009, 10:54 PM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/k1ddyn4mite/ps.jpg

This is a Pumpkin Seed. This was caught in Canada, and that's my cousin. It is a northern species sunfish.

a biley
02-19-2009, 10:59 PM
BTW that trip to canada I had, those fish were aggresive! everysize fish hit the DT 04, even fish the same size! They own a cottage by a lake. I love Canada, and their fish, too bad the Bass are northern strain though. lake record there is like 10 lbs and its a huge chain of lakes...

here's my cousin with a muskie, we fished at 4am just to try to catch one. he caught it right at sunrise
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/k1ddyn4mite/IMG_1098.jpg

Shyliners5
02-19-2009, 11:01 PM

http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/fpumpkinseed.html

Pumpkinseeds are known to interbreed with the closely-related bluegill, which they resemble in form and coloration.

The pumpkinseed, like other sunfishes, is very popular with anglers. The fish is often the first one caught by young anglers. The fish is considered to be a fine food fish although it is less prized than the bluegill. Pumpkinseeds feed all day and can be caught with live bait or with small lures. They actively fight the line as they are reeled in. This species is regarded as a panfish due to its size and edibility.

Pumpkinseeds reach a maximum length of about 40 cm (16 inches), although sizes of 15–20 cm (6–8 inches) are more typical. Weights are normally less than 450 grams (1 pound), although larger specimens can be encountered. The fish present an oval silhouette and are very compressed laterally; it is this body shape, resembling the seed of a pumpkin, which provides them with their common name, but not according to Amy. The coloration includes orange, green, yellow, or blue speckles on an olive back, yellow sides and a yellow to orange belly and breast. As with all centrarchids, they have sharp spines in the dorsal and anal fins.

Pretty sure they got those at pudd.

<*((((>{ Eric.

old pudd fisher
02-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks biley, But I wonder how he got it if they are not around here? Also I was born in canada but lived in So Cal all my life. Kind of wierd because my roots are still thier but I did a year in NAM with the US ARMY in the 1960'S. O well back to fishin fun.

jim532
02-19-2009, 11:19 PM
go to petco and get the small feeder goldfish or feeder guppies

smokehound
02-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Do not feed them fish from a petstore. The safest thing to feed them is insects.

Try tilapia/pleco pellets. The catfish should love it.

Goldfish and other feeders introduce disease to the tank. There's a reason why farmed fish are fed pellets and not live feed.

fishindude
02-20-2009, 08:54 PM
feed them deep fried LMB :LOL: or feed them whatever you caught them on

LOL! You still hangin on to that? Haha.

chivo
02-22-2009, 05:26 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/k1ddyn4mite/ps.jpg

This is a Pumpkin Seed. This was caught in Canada, and that's my cousin. It is a northern species sunfish.

Yes, your right, that is a pumpkinseed. They DO NOT live in warm water area's like Sothern Cali. Canada would be a prime area for them, not so cal. They are a coldwater fish.

Distribution
Pumpkinseeds are found throughout Wisconsin,
though they are less common in the driftless region
of the southwest because it lacks the glacial lakes
that provide prime habitat for the species.
Pumpkinseeds prefer cool to moderately-warm
water, and are most prevalent in small lakes and
ponds. They are also found in Mississippi River
backwaters, impoundments of smaller rivers and
streams, and in bays of both Lake Michigan and
Lake Superior.
The pumpkinseed's native range was originally
limited to eastern North America, from Manitoba,
Canada, east to the Atlantic seaboard, south as far
as Georgia, and west through the Ohio Valley.
Stocking has extended its range west of the
Mississippi Valley

chivo
02-22-2009, 05:28 PM

I'm sure that you used bait to catch those fish with, so maybe try the bait you caught them with.

chivo
02-22-2009, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE=Seng90806;311512]feed them deep fried LMB :LOL: or feed them whatever you caught them on[/QUOT

That's a cold one man.

pwynn
02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
fathead minnows will work.

smokinflies
02-22-2009, 07:55 PM
hey lilmystery, i also have a few blues and crappies, but in an outdoor fish pond. i usually feed them meal worms, night crawlers, and sometimes regular fish food (when i run out of worms). had my fish for almost a year now. i'm surprised that they're surviving this cold weather we been having.

smokinflies
02-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks biley, But I wonder how he got it if they are not around here? Also I was born in canada but lived in So Cal all my life. Kind of wierd because my roots are still thier but I did a year in NAM with the US ARMY in the 1960'S. O well back to fishin fun.

i think i caught a few of those pumpkinseed fish around in these city lakes. i remember the orange marking on the sides of the head. i thought they were just bluegills. they must of been planted in the local lakes decades ago.