PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the Surf

db310
06-12-2007, 10:56 AM
I have surf fished Seal Beach the past two Saturdays. Fishing has been good on YFC and Hali's. I have two questions that I'm sure some of you know the answers to. How big do YFC get? Is it illegal to snag fish with GIANT treble hooks? I've seen many people doing it. They cast these huge hooks and rip them through the water trying to snag fish. It is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. They can be seen in the evenings to the right side of the jetty around 60th st.

cappo
06-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Dont know how big they get but you definitely should call the DFG if you see snaggers out there.

fish4keep
06-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Don't even bother cause it's not against the law to snag in salt. Eventhough most of us hate it nothing we could do.............

rusty6
06-12-2007, 02:22 PM
maybe they were trying to snag mullets, its practically the onyl way to catch them.

db310
06-12-2007, 11:50 PM
The trebble hook was almost as big as my hand. They are snagging anything they can. They keep everything.

baluga
06-13-2007, 03:56 PM
I've seen them catching Mullets on 72nd. Saw them landing a couple of 24" to 30", walked by and say 'wow that's a big mullet'. The guy said, oh these are small one, we used to get 15 to 20 pounder :shock:
You'll see the mullets bleeding on their sides..poor thing.

Also saw them landing SNGFs. They pretty much snag what's in the path.

Pretty dangerous to be near by those guys. Saw those hooks flying off the surf :shock:

But I guess it's better that the spearguys I saw one time with two halis on the rocks and release it back cause they were half an inch short. the dude must be newbee and was not able to estimate the size before shooting. Talk about shoot first, measure later. :shock:

That sucks. :( I guess those halis will be bait fish meals after a couple of days.