PDA

View Full Version : Thanks a lot Governator!!!!!

bullets_full
02-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Even with a stimulus package coming from the new president, the state of California is raising our taxes which will in turn cancel out any stimulus coming from the feds. I'm disgusted I ever voted for that #$%^&*@

Any thoughts?

Go ahead City Dad.....the floor is yours.

DarkShadow
02-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Should've voted for Mary Carey.

:Angry:

Scoring Machine
02-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Should've voted for Mary Carey.

:Angry:

Didn't you? ha ha ha

Had I known the election was going to be the blowout it turned into I would have voted for Gary Coleman rather than The Governator.

City Dad
02-19-2009, 04:34 PM
I didn't vote for him... so, I dunno what to say.

it sounds like raising taxes are only a part of what this budget involves... what is kinda scary to me is that we're going to have to borrow money too... but from where? A foriegn country? and what foriegn country is going to give a rat's you-know-what about our best interests???

plus, this only gets us through the next few months...

so, like, yeah... I'm no economist... but it sounds bad to me...

baadfish69
02-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Even with a stimulus package coming from the new president, the state of California is raising our taxes which will in turn cancel out any stimulus coming from the feds. I'm disgusted I ever voted for that #$%^&*@

Any thoughts?

Go ahead City Dad.....the floor is yours.

Im disgusted you voted for him too. :WINK:

I just remember walking around kicking everyone I came across who told me they voted for "Arnold", like it was the cool thing to do. Even my wife voted for him.....now I have the pleasure of blaming her everytime Teh Governator screws me.

sansou
02-19-2009, 06:06 PM
California going down in flames? Let me ask but one question:

Anybody here care to confess they voted "YES" for the Free Range Chickens Proposition on the last ballot?

No?

Well, in a nutshell, there ya have it. I rest my case.

City Dad
02-19-2009, 06:54 PM
California going down in flames? Let me ask but one question:

Anybody here care to confess they voted "YES" for the Free Range Chickens Proposition on the last ballot?

No?

Well, in a nutshell, there ya have it. I rest my case.

hold on a sec, now... The chickens were the ones getting stuffed in the cages? I gotta read those pamphlets more carefully.

sansou
02-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Here's a macro view of what it took just to fill our $42 Billion deficit. Keep in mind, this ONLY gets us to year 2010. After that, with adjustments, we will need to make further slashes (assuming no positive growth).

Revenue
The plan would raise up to $12.8 billion through June 2010 by imposing a variety of temporary taxes. The higher taxes would be in effect for two years. The taxes would remain longer – through the 2013-14 fiscal year – if voters approve a state spending cap during a special election in May.
Here are the specific taxes:
– Increases the state sales tax by 1 cent on the dollar, generating $5.8 billion through the next fiscal year.
– Raises the fee for licensing vehicles to 1.15 percent of market value, up from the current .65 percent. The move is projected to generate $1.5 billion. About $602 million of that would be dedicated to local law enforcement.
– Raises the state personal income tax rate by 0.25 percent, generating $3.7 billion in the next fiscal year. If the state receives more than expected from the federal government, the increase in the rate would be reduced to 0.125 percent.
– Reduces the amount taxpayers can claim on a dependent care credit to the federal level of $100 instead of $300, saving $1.4 billion.
–––
Cuts
Reduces state general fund spending by $15.1 billion through the end of June 2010 by forcing education and social service programs to absorb much of the pain. Among other cuts, the budget proposal:
– Reduces education spending by $8.6 billion over two years, likely forcing schools to lay off teachers, slash salaries and postpone spending on construction and textbook purchases. The proposal also would give districts greater flexibility in spending money that is normally dedicated to specific programs.
– Imposes a 10 percent across-the-board cut to the University of California and California State University systems, saving $264.4 million.
– Continues furloughs for 238,000 state workers, trims overtime pay and eliminates Lincoln's Birthday and Columbus Day as paid state holidays, saving $1.4 billion. Under a tentative contract agreement reached recently between the governor and the state's largest employee union, furloughs for more than 90,000 of the employees would be reduced from two days a month to one and workers would receive two personal days off in exchange for giving up the paid holidays.
– Eliminates annual cost-of-living increases for recipients of the state's welfare-to-work program, known as CalWORKS, to save $79 million.
– Eliminates the state and federal cost-of-living increase for seniors and the disabled who are receiving Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment, saving $594.1 million.
– Depending on whether the federal government provides additional aid, the budget compromise would make further reductions to Medi-Cal, the state's health insurance program for the poor; CalWORKS; in-home support for seniors; and other social service programs by $948 million.
– Eliminates $1 million that was allocated for the state controller's office to buy furniture as one of the conditions for securing the last GOP vote.
–––
Borrowing
– Approves a $5 billion plan to borrow against the value of the lottery's future revenue. Voters must approve changes to the lottery to make it more marketable in the hope that it will bring in more money, and then the state would have to entice investors to buy the bonds. (we have the worst bond rating in America right now)
– Authorizes the state to take out $6 billion in bonds to cover bills that will not get paid in the current fiscal year. Lawmakers expect to avoid this loan by using federal aid.
– $400 million transferred from various special funds.

maxpowers
02-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Sansou,

Are you sure the cuts next year are real cuts and not cuts in projected increases? As I am aware, the 2008-2009 budget was cut from 103 billions to 90 billions but the 2009-2010 budget is 96 billions. How come the state has to increase its yoy budget even though we are in a recession/depression? How comes budget can't stay constant or shrink in times of low revenues? Also it seems that only in the public sector do you see base salary increases yoy via COLA but in private sector you have to earn your wage increases via merit. Also if you are in the private sector and the company reduced your salary by 5%, do you get a day off or do you work the same amount?

Mike

joe man
02-26-2009, 02:36 PM
It is funny that they do not cut the most obvious waste of tax dollars first. Illegal immigration cost Ca. around 9 Billion a year and that is just the cost that can be captured.

SOUTHPAWSTICK
02-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Joe man, you hit the mail on the head. Illegal Immigration. If they stopped supporting people who are breaking the law because they are here illegally, this state would save billions.