PDA

View Full Version : PVR 2/15-2/18 on fire

Fishmaster B
02-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Been fishing PVR for over 20 years and never have I seen it so good. Got there sunday night ahead of the storm and was it cold. Woke up about 9am on Monday and hit the river. Oh and it was snowing and windy, we geared up and managed to catch about 10 fish between four of us in about an hour. All south of line street. Would have caught plenty more, but the weather would not let up so we called it a day and headed straight to WhiskeyCreek for some mammoth brewing company beers and food. Then off to Rustys bar for some shots and the cheapest pitchers you can find. 10 bucks and change for a pitcher of Sierra Nevada. Woke up Tuesday to beautiful and cold weather. Hit the backside of the reservoir all day till sundown. We caught 5 fish from 3-6 pounds and and at least 100 smaller models, there was no way to use two poles. I was catching them on every cast with trout worms (any color any make but i do have to say that for me the power worms seemed to work better than the lip ripperz which i do find happens often). Thomas bouyants also did the trick. I had two guys with me that have never fished before so they used bait for a while and it was wide open on everything they threw, then i got them hooked on the trout worms. Everywhere we fished it was the same. Problem is now my buddies think everytime they go fish it should be like this. (lol) Went back to the res on wed morning and it was more of the same. Lotsa small ones with a few good ones mixed in and the eventual 3 plus pounder. It was hard to leave but good times were had nd two fishermen were made outta the trip. Couldnt have asked for better fishing or better company. Cant wait to get back up in a few weeks. I have some pics but no idea of hw to get them up so if somebody wants to help me out i can post them.

sierraslam
02-19-2009, 09:37 AM
nice job! I think you spoiled your buddies with the great fishing. The Res. has been great since November. Did you get a look at the Bald Eagles that have been seen at PVR? Always nice to see some wild life while slaying away the day. good fishin!

Fishmaster B
02-19-2009, 09:50 AM
We did see a bald eagle, it was pretty cool to watch, nice to see more of them in the sierras now.

Sierra_Smitty
02-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Rock on!!! I'm headed out there this afternoon for a bit.....can't wait!

spongecliff
02-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Fishmaster B.

So how cold was it out there by PVR? I've only been in the summer when it's hot.

I'm heading up there with a couple buddies next Friday. Just want to come prepared.

Sierra_Smitty
02-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Fishmaster B.

So how cold was it out there by PVR? I've only been in the summer when it's hot.

I'm heading up there with a couple buddies next Friday. Just want to come prepared.

It can snow on you in May at PVR - but it can also feel like summer in January. Come prepared for both and you'll be ok.

Eat Sleep Fish
02-19-2009, 02:06 PM
You certainly can NOT forecast the weather at PVR, or anywhere in the sierras for that matter. I've been there in February when it was near 90 degrees day time high, and in June when the day time high was 38. Take some sunscreen, insect repellent, polorized lenses, and a good warm jacket...go figure.

Good lookin alpers. PVR has been purely INSANE this year, a lot of small ones but TONS and TONS of fish to be had.

Fishmaster B
02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Just layer up and be ready to be waterproofed at any time. Can be sunny one min and raining the next. It was extremely ld in the morning and warm in the afternoon, but not unbearable. To many clothes means bring one more jacket if you want to be prepared.

kgselect
02-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Great winter fishing. Looks really cold.

olfishergal
02-19-2009, 07:42 PM
I will be hitting PVR before I head up to smittys place for the event in June....been thinking about it ever since I was there last year. I love T57 events!!! OFG

Fishmaster B
02-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Very cool, Ive fished by parchers quite a bit, but i usually head to convict for some browns or june for the cutthroats. Gonna be warm in june at plesant valley but im sure the fish will bite. There is a lot of open water to fish in june. Also what is "OFG"? If you ever head out to the santa barbara area hit me up to do some fishin

Granny Fish
02-20-2009, 08:54 AM
It's fun being on a wide open bite like that, but it sure spoils you. Hope to see your other pictures soon.

OFG - You should take a trip up before June. :Wink:

billy b
02-20-2009, 09:01 AM
(just poking fun ... at myself)

I'll take a SWAG that "OFG" is ol fisher gal?

How old?

;>)

diamondbear
02-20-2009, 07:11 PM
NICE REPORT , CAN'T WAIT TILL THE PICS . Iam headed up there in 2 weeks .

Fishmaster B
02-21-2009, 09:00 AM
I can only get one pic up at a time.

billy b
02-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Those are PURDY !!!

chivo
02-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Nice job PVRing it. Looks like you guys had a blast. I'd rather be fishing up there in a snow storm,instead i'm here getting tourchered by these panfish that won't bite. I'm always down for fishing in ice cold weather, when the fish are biting i've been known to be in shorts, when its snowing outside. I regret it on the way back but i don't care. you know what i mean

chivo
02-21-2009, 01:25 PM
I can only get one pic up at a time.

nice colors on those bows

diamondbear
02-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Those are NICE LOOKING Fish , thank you for the report FMB .

BigGameHunter
02-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Nice job, I was out there 1 1/2 weeks ago and it was WFO. Nice job. I'm trying to get up there before the Blake Jones Tourney....

Does anyone know if PVR gets hammered the weekend of the early opener? I don't think I can get up there until that Fri/Sat. We are planning on camping out, but was wondering if there's a lot of pressure on PVR as there is in Lone Pine....

Thanks

BGH