PDA

View Full Version : 187 On Seals

striker
02-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Just caught the 5 o' clock local news. Seems like someone has been doing some target practicing on some seals. Latest victim was a seal pup that had a bullet lodged in it's spine. The report stated that four other seal shootings have occurred. Now, as much as I hate seals, thats some f'ed up crap to do. Oh, there is a 50k reward for the arrest of the shooter(s).

BIGRED KILLA
02-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Looks like the guy got pissed they stole his fish or his bait cages out of his hoops.There are too many of them the law needs to do something about them maybe just a little poison/neuter them.

Bigred

ghost2uu
02-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Maybe they started to run with the wrong crowd and one thing led to another and then bam seal homicide.........

lurk 182
02-17-2009, 06:54 PM
last spring i was at the ramp after fishing the horsehoe kelp and DFG was asking if i kept any fish and also asked about sea lion issues, which were absolutely awful that day. probably lost fifty bucks in spoons and jigs. there were some little foamers of bonita where every single one you hooked would get nailed once it started to spiral. they need to get a handle on those mammals, no predators anymore.

exfactor
02-17-2009, 10:01 PM
50 k is alot of dough someone is offering. I wonder who?

BIGRED KILLA
02-17-2009, 10:13 PM

Idk but lets just capture One_Leg and pin it on him and we will all split the money.
j.k lurker

Bigred

britheguy
02-17-2009, 10:41 PM
It better not have been Andre!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oregEp255ik

I miss that guy, Haha.

BIGRED KILLA
02-17-2009, 10:52 PM
It better not have been Andre!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oregEp255ik

I miss that guy, Haha.

Thats a cool/lazy seal he does not even need to follow the boats he can just hitch a ride.

Bigred

smitty99
02-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Seals were putting a serious damper on salmon fishing in Seattle, along with overfishing from the natives netting the rivers (as they are allowed by law to do)....I remember them opening season on Seals and the state culling them out. They closed Salmon season several times in the late 90s' due to problems with the fish population.

Cangler
02-18-2009, 07:27 AM
I caught two of the buggers last year ... they are a pain

DavidE
02-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Bang Bang Bitches !!!!! Seal Tacos anyone????

seal
02-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Save the Seal's!

FISH_HUNTER
02-18-2009, 09:28 AM
It's $5000 not $50,000 and its being offered by Marine Animal Rescue.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29241067/

I used to think they where cute and cuddly back when my dad took us to Marineland and Sea World but after 1 tooo many times they jacked me of my possible JP Cuda or Mossback I have no love for the Dogs! :Guns::Twisted:

That Dang Guy
02-18-2009, 08:13 PM
We gotta learn how to eat seal meat....

tpfishnfool
02-18-2009, 08:30 PM
They taste a bit like fishy chicken ?

Baja Vinnie
02-19-2009, 09:53 PM

Probably PETA and there ball licking brothers at the sierra club!!

The seals are so thick and fearless at the coronado islands they don't even flinch at seal bombs anymore. I've had so many seals around my boat at the middle grounds, you couldn't even toss a bait let alone get hooked up. Then IF you did manage to get a bait out and get hooked up....your only ringing the dinner bell!!! You have to horse your fish in so fast you lose half the fun of being hooked up. I for one am not losing any sleep over a few DEAD seals reported in the news.

Oz
02-20-2009, 10:22 AM
im like the rest of u a few less seals is good. but theres a line to drawn tho on going about it. they are a nusense when fishing and so forth but the way its been happening is wrong. the other part its not even grown seals this guy or people are killing...they showed on the news that day the person killed a baby seal. that was just plain wrong IMO...thats like someone coming into your place and shooting your kid cause u where annoying him.

rusty6
02-20-2009, 11:45 AM
if only we could learn how to breed great whites in captivity...then let nature do the rest!

ghetto dad
02-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Good.....we need some seal control going.....

GD

ghetto dad
02-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Save the Seal's!

Um, no...save our fisheries FROM the seals....

GD

seal
02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Um, no...save our fisheries FROM the seals....

GD

Ah geeze irony here, see my user name?????

Kill the seal's (except me please).

BIGRED KILLA
02-20-2009, 08:00 PM
We first need to do something about this MLPA thing going on they want to close more parts of are local islands so you can't fish there forever prim spots for divers and fishing ground for wsb,tails,etc and miles of beaches with no surffishing or yakfishing or anything fishing and then we can worry about the seals.

Bigred

bones
02-20-2009, 09:20 PM
We first need to do something about this MLPA thing going on they want to close more parts of are local islands so you can't fish there forever prim spots for divers and fishing ground for wsb,tails,etc and miles of beaches with no surffishing or yakfishing or anything fishing and then we can worry about the seals.

Bigred

Your sooooooo right Bigred! The MLPA is also going to allow the seals to thrive even more. Without the encroachment of mankind into their habitat they will start to produce even more and sooner or later our coastline will be filled with them everywhere. All I can say is that they just recently made it legal to shoot seals with a paintball gun. I'm looking forward to huntin a few seals with a paintball gun while float tubing before the MLPA areas are mapped out and we can't fish those areas any more without breaking the law!

supasportkid
02-20-2009, 10:01 PM
f tha seals!!!

jerryG
02-21-2009, 12:43 AM
As harsh as it sounds I have no sympathy for these animals. The seal situation in California has been out of hand for far too long.

Although I don't care for seals I am a huge fan of the Orca's and Great whites.... God bless these beautiful creatures. . Check out the link for some great footage of the Orcas and great whites playing with seals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E336WICfQNQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BIj4vTXtrs&feature=related

JerryG

Darius
02-21-2009, 09:45 AM
i dont know if you guys are joking or not but. Some of you need to look life as a total whole connection. Seals, fish, humans need to live in harmony. Heck seals eating fish, what else are they suppose they eat? You want them to go to a restaurant? Clearly, they live in the water and that is their source for food. For a fisherman, the water is a hobby, don't take it to the extent where you hate and kill the animals that live in their, but respect them. All life form belongs in a web, take away the seals, then the sharks will eat all your fish, irony it is. So for all you people who say "i dont care, shoot the seals," you are just as ignorant as your own words.

BIGRED KILLA
02-21-2009, 11:12 AM
i dont know if you guys are joking or not but. Some of you need to look life as a total whole connection. Seals, fish, humans need to live in harmony. Heck seals eating fish, what else are they suppose they eat? You want them to go to a restaurant? Clearly, they live in the water and that is their source for food. For a fisherman, the water is a hobby, don't take it to the extent where you hate and kill the animals that live in their, but respect them. All life form belongs in a web, take away the seals, then the sharks will eat all your fish, irony it is. So for all you people who say "i dont care, shoot the seals," you are just as ignorant as your own words.

When there is one thing too many it will be a big prob.Seals are too smart they follow you for miles once they eat your bait they will call there buddys and they will be all around you.If you ever make bait at the local islands it's hard when there is 10 seals under your boat and one on the swim step.Or hooping they swim away with your cage or net= no bugz.Why can we kill deer,elk,wildpigs etc but not hunt seals once a year to lower the numbers of them.

Bigred

megafisher94
02-21-2009, 12:43 PM
We gotta learn how to eat seal meat....
im goin eskimo:Envious:

megafisher94
02-21-2009, 12:49 PM
back to the original post, ive seen dead seals floating that look like someones dumped a clip or two into em. i saw it on a half day boat, it was funny because the the captain came over the intercom and called for evryone to the port side and see the seal.

ghetto dad
02-21-2009, 01:12 PM

If i had a choice between "save the humans" or "save the seals", I would without a doubt save the humans. These things have been a nuisance for years, and they are getting way out of control. Sinking boats in harbors, for example. As far as the fishery is concerened, the seals cost us contless dollars in lost revenue. It is to the point where at certain locations, you will have anywhere from 10-20 seals on you while you are trying to fish. They will eat EVERY piece of chum in the water, EVERY hooked bait in the water (they know are smart enough to just bite below the head) and if you are lucky enough to hook a fish, they will also take that off your line. THey used to mainly eat the hooked exotics, but now they are eating ANYTHING on a hook...tuna, halibut, yellows, calico and sand bass, bonito, ANYTHING. As far as from a landings point of view, the fish count is extremely reduced, which means less fish turned in, which means less people willing to spend the required amount of money to go fishing. Which means less money for the landing, which means hours being cut, and layoffs happening. As far as the boat crews point of view, all the above, but also include no fish to clean, which means less side money for the crews, which means less money in their pockets to take care of their families. In these already TOUGH economic times, ANY reduction in income is harsh for most people. So, yes, when I say shoot the seals, I am thinking about the affect that these animals are having on HUMANS abilities to survive and take care of their families. By NO means am i saying that if you are in the middle of the ocean, just randomly shoot seals, but when they are affecting our livleyhoods, take care of the problem, by any means necessary....

GD

Shyliners5
02-21-2009, 01:38 PM
That's right 'bones'... I had this discussion w/ a NOAA guy and a DFG Warden last year at Fred Hall. And he confirmed that it's now legal to atack a Seal w/ a paintball gun and a wrist rocket both w/ non-toxic ammo. The NOAA guy was NOT too happy about that.

We also spoke about a prob happening when the pesky giant squid came in and ate everything but the kitchen sink.
Did a number of squid trips when they were local and seen the seals come in to feed but then ACTUALLY saw them ganging up on the dogs!!
A week later on the beach at night near Anderson I saw a half eaten seal pup w/ holes similar to the ones they do to each other when you put the squid in the sacks together.
DFG guy told me they had a few similar insidents that year.
So I dont know what's worse!?

Had a dog grab my friends hoop this year on the kayak while he pulled it up near Redondo. Now that's just rediculous. I'll wack one w/ my paddle if they get crazy.

<*((((>{ Eric.

BIGRED KILLA
02-21-2009, 06:03 PM
If i had a choice between "save the humans" or "save the seals", I would without a doubt save the humans. These things have been a nuisance for years, and they are getting way out of control. Sinking boats in harbors, for example. As far as the fishery is concerened, the seals cost us contless dollars in lost revenue. It is to the point where at certain locations, you will have anywhere from 10-20 seals on you while you are trying to fish. They will eat EVERY piece of chum in the water, EVERY hooked bait in the water (they know are smart enough to just bite below the head) and if you are lucky enough to hook a fish, they will also take that off your line. THey used to mainly eat the hooked exotics, but now they are eating ANYTHING on a hook...tuna, halibut, yellows, calico and sand bass, bonito, ANYTHING. As far as from a landings point of view, the fish count is extremely reduced, which means less fish turned in, which means less people willing to spend the required amount of money to go fishing. Which means less money for the landing, which means hours being cut, and layoffs happening. As far as the boat crews point of view, all the above, but also include no fish to clean, which means less side money for the crews, which means less money in their pockets to take care of their families. In these already TOUGH economic times, ANY reduction in income is harsh for most people. So, yes, when I say shoot the seals, I am thinking about the affect that these animals are having on HUMANS abilities to survive and take care of their families. By NO means am i saying that if you are in the middle of the ocean, just randomly shoot seals, but when they are affecting our livleyhoods, take care of the problem, by any means necessary....

GD

Very good Steve i wanted to say the same thing but i can't spell good lol.For some seals it is hard for them to catch fish they are even eating are small rock fish i never seen this since 1 year ago they would never eat them with all the spikes but i guess so many seals less food.

Bigred

TShaffer
02-21-2009, 07:04 PM
The last time I went fishing on a half-day boat we were going after whitefish and we found a pretty good rock that produced some fish but then the damn sea lions moved in and the rest of the day was shot. Fish stopped biting and it was next to impossible to land one. We tried to lose them the rest of the day but we couldn't. It was hard not to wish death on those damn things. :Angry:

boxl0bster
02-21-2009, 07:05 PM
i saw it on the news that day too, i like most of you can care less for all of the above reasons and i think steve said it best. :Applause:

Darius
02-21-2009, 10:37 PM
the truth is, which animal is the real problem. Humans who belong on land, or seals who live in the water. Plain and simple, some of the people on here get rediculous, for instance it is like you go play in the water but hate getting cold, so you go try to drain all the water. This is the same as fishing, you choose to be in the water to fish, so you deal with all the life forms that live in the water. Just plain disrespectful to mother nature, by shooting these seals. Got dam! I'm a fisherman, i fish i'm a angular. Heck i don't get mad when i throw my bait out in the water then a duck, seal, etc comes along and gets my bait, big deal. Ultimately, for some to go to the extent to shoot a animal, seal, rediculous. For some you make the world, full of destruction.

Plumpy
02-22-2009, 12:21 AM
I don't hate seals at all but there are just too many i try to swim off are local coast and once i a while they bump in to me..... It hurts when they hit the family jewels but i got use to it.

smokehound
02-22-2009, 10:53 AM
I dont hate seals, it's sea-lions i hate.

You guys meant sea-lion, right?

I vote that darius never had a legal halibut snatched from him by a sea-lion!

Darius
02-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Another, well displayed example is for instance, shark attacks. When a shark attack has occured, the people go on a frenzy and go shark killing. It's rediculous, heck when i go in the water to go boogie boarding i myself agree to all the dangers, jelly fish, sharks, getting wiped out drowning. This is the same matter as fishing, furthermore, if you get snagged by sea weed and lose your line and set up, lose your hook, and sinkers. What are you going to do? Wipe out all the sea weed? Clear out the ocean floor. Above all, i'm trying to say is everything has a purpose, even humans, we all just need to live in a harmonious state, not kill, if not needed.

smokehound
02-22-2009, 11:13 AM
:rofl:

While i dont agree with killing the damn things, i do think the state must do something to stop the interaction with humans. I think a state-wide culling of them would actually benefit things a bit. Might make fish numbers rise,m too.

There are way too many of them. For their own health, they need to be thinned out.

(sea-lions)

Fish Dog
02-22-2009, 12:15 PM
I dont hate seals, it's sea-lions i hate.

You guys meant sea-lion, right?

I vote that darius never had a legal halibut snatched from him by a sea-lion!

Yeah, I believe they mean sea lions...they're about 90% of the problem. If you're going to target something for being a nuisance at least know what you're talking about....

for those that don't know the difference, here's some info for you...

http://www.dolphinencounters.com/education-sealionvsseal.php

I agree something should be done to reduce the numbers but until it is legal to do so you're risking some big fines and jail time if you're caught.

Penalties. Violation of the Act, or a permit or regulation issued under it, is subject to a civil penalty of up to $10,000 per violation. Each unlawful taking or importation is a separate offense. Knowing violation of the Act, or a permit or regulation issued under it, is subject to a criminal penalty of up to $20,000 per violation or imprisonment for one year, or both. (The $20,000 maximum fine stated in the Act and repeated in this summary is modified by the Sentencing Reform Act of 1984, as amended by the Criminal Fine Improvements Act of 1987. See the summary of the Sentencing Reform Act for the new, generally higher, levels.) § 1375.

(source: http://wildlifelaw.unm.edu/fedbook/mmpa.html )

Shyliners5
02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I believe they mean sea lions...they're about 90% of the problem. If you're going to target something for being a nuisance at least know what you're talking about....

for those that don't know the difference, here's some info for you...

http://www.dolphinencounters.com/education-sealionvsseal.php

I agree something should be done to reduce the numbers but until it is legal to do so you're risking some big fines and jail time if you're caught.

(source: http://wildlifelaw.unm.edu/fedbook/mmpa.html )

Of course NOT Seals.
Encounter those little spotted harbor seals (i think that's the name) when I 'Yak PV San Pedro. those cute friendly little guys spend time in solitude and they'll follow you around all day and just stare at you w/ out touching your fish. Unfourtunaltally they are the ones White sharks prefer over Sealions.

ghetto dad
02-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Another, well displayed example is for instance, shark attacks. When a shark attack has occured, the people go on a frenzy and go shark killing. It's rediculous, heck when i go in the water to go boogie boarding i myself agree to all the dangers, jelly fish, sharks, getting wiped out drowning. This is the same matter as fishing, furthermore, if you get snagged by sea weed and lose your line and set up, lose your hook, and sinkers. What are you going to do? Wipe out all the sea weed? Clear out the ocean floor. Above all, i'm trying to say is everything has a purpose, even humans, we all just need to live in a harmonious state, not kill, if not needed.

No one is talking about losing a $3 hook and sinker....I am talking about people and their ability to work and take care of their responsibilities....it is not "harmonious" when people and businesses lose income......detourants DO NOT work anymore ie: "seal bombs"...that is now a dinner bell. As far as im concerned, if it means not feeding my kids or having to take out a sea lion, bye bye sea lion.....its not like it will go to waste...sharks and other marine life will feast on the carcus.....

GD

DavidE
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
GD - I think Darious is playing Devil's advocate. He can't be serious with these far fetched analogies and straw man arguements.

ghetto dad
02-23-2009, 01:33 PM
GD - I think Darious is playing Devil's advocate. He can't be serious with these far fetched analogies and straw man arguements.

I concur Mr E....peace

GD