PDA

View Full Version : Perris Sunday 2-15

Pete Marino
02-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I fished the National Bass West Tournament at Perris on sunday with my wife Carissa.
Our plan for the day was to swing for the fence for the first couple hours then settle down after that and methodicly work the shallows 1st then then deeper water if need be.
We started throwing big cranks and swimbaits on all 3 of the major point..(slide point, ranger point and power point) After an hour and a half we had nothing to show for our efforts. :Sad: So I decided that it was time to slow down... so we went to the bouy line and I threw a jig while my wife dropshotted. After about 30 minutes of that with goose egg to show for our efforts I figured it was time to get to work.
We headed to the dam and started on the south side...we were both dropshotting. At the 2/3s point on the dam I finally was able to catch one...keeper #1 in the livewell. We had went a long way for that one fish so I decided to go out and try the deep water. So we went over to the North end pipe and my plan was to throw the carolina rig along the edge of the canyon in about 38-42 ft and my wife was to do the same. In the first 20 mintues there I caught 2 keepers and one short. And I missed a bite like a donkey.:Embarrassed: Then it kinda shut down and we spent the next hour losing rig after rig to the deep rocks in the canyon.
Then I decided that I had lost enough weights and hooks so we went over to the deep flat on the north end of the lake to carolina rig the mud.
After about 10 mintues my wife says.."Im on" and I net our 4th keeper.
Then we go biteless for the next 45 mintues. Time to move again..
Back to the bouy line for about 10 mintues for nothing and then back to the dam to see if any bass had moved up to sun on the rocks for about 25 mintues for nothing.
1 hour left in the tournament and it was time for me to make a decision...do we continue to grind it out on the dam or do we go back to the canyon where we caught some bass but lost about 20 weights in the process???
I decided to go back to the canyon and try to get our 5th fish.
After about 10 minutes I get bit, reel down feel presure and swing...nothing but air. Missed it! :Shocked: What the #*&%! Then with 40 mintues left in the tournament Carissa swings and her rod doesnt move...stuck again...NOT...it begins to take line :EyePop::EyePop:...she says "Ive got a donkey"...and she works it perfectly to the boat and I net it.. YES Our kicker and Limit.. That bass weighed 7 lbs 2 ozs. We were stoked!!!!
We ended up getting 3rd place in the tournament with 18.23 lbs for our limit and Carissas big bass was 2nd big bass of the tournament.
Most of our bass were caught in 38-45 ft of water on Carolina rigs..

I'll post pics later...

Pete:Cool:

Skyler
02-17-2009, 10:50 AM
I fished the National Bass West Tournament at Perris on sunday with my wife Carissa.
Our plan for the day was to swing for the fence for the first couple hours then settle down after that and methodicly work the shallows 1st then then deeper water if need be.
We started throwing big cranks and swimbaits on all 3 of the major point..(slide point, ranger point and power point) After an hour and a half we had nothing to show for our efforts. :Sad: So I decided that it was time to slow down... so we went to the bouy line and I threw a jig while my wife dropshotted. After about 30 minutes of that with goose egg to show for our efforts I figured it was time to get to work.
We headed to the dam and started on the south side...we were both dropshotting. At the 2/3s point on the dam I finally was able to catch one...keeper #1 in the livewell. We had went a long way for that one fish so I decided to go out and try the deep water. So we went over to the North end pipe and my plan was to throw the carolina rig along the edge of the canyon in about 38-42 ft and my wife was to do the same. In the first 20 mintues there I caught 2 keepers and one short. And I missed a bite like a donkey.:Embarrassed: Then it kinda shut down and we spent the next hour losing rig after rig to the deep rocks in the canyon.
Then I decided that I had lost enough weights and hooks so we went over to the deep flat on the north end of the lake to carolina rig the mud.
After about 10 mintues my wife says.."Im on" and I net our 4th keeper.
Then we go biteless for the next 45 mintues. Time to move again..
Back to the bouy line for about 10 mintues for nothing and then back to the dam to see if any bass had moved up to sun on the rocks for about 25 mintues for nothing.
1 hour left in the tournament and it was time for me to make a decision...do we continue to grind it out on the dam or do we go back to the canyon where we caught some bass but lost about 20 weights in the process???
I decided to go back to the canyon and try to get our 5th fish.
After about 10 minutes I get bit, reel down feel presure and swing...nothing but air. Missed it! :Shocked: What the #*&%! Then with 40 mintues left in the tournament Carissa swings and her rod doesnt move...stuck again...NOT...it begins to take line :EyePop::EyePop:...she says "Ive got a donkey"...and she works it perfectly to the boat and I net it.. YES Our kicker and Limit.. That bass weighed 7 lbs 2 ozs. We were stoked!!!!
We ended up getting 3rd place in the tournament with 18.23 lbs for our limit and Carissas big bass was 2nd big bass of the tournament.
Most of our bass were caught in 38-45 ft of water on Carolina rigs..

I'll post pics later...

Nice. I've been wanting to hit up Perris again for awhile now. Glad to hear things are starting to happen. See any bluegill stirring?

BTW, I saw your table at BPS the other day and recognized your wife from my old church. I wasn't sure if it was her, so i didn't say anything, but once you mentioned her name, I was pretty sure. Ask her if she remembers Skyler from Community Bible Church. Tell her I said hello. Tight lines.

FishingFanatic
02-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Nice kicker. The wifey got some skills. How was the boat traffic out there? Dont see how there is gonna be any room with tournaments, PWC, and locals like me when it heats up.

Skyler
02-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Dont see how there is gonna be any room with tournaments, PWC, and locals like me when it heats up.

It's definitely gonna be packed here in a few weeks. Hopefully DFG will be there to curb the poachers this spring. I hate seeing bait fisherman with no licenses keeping the big spawning females.

Goofy4fish
02-17-2009, 05:00 PM
I hear you Skyler. I was there last Friday & my friend John got carded on the bank in Sail cove. I am just glad to see that the DFG is out doing their job. I also hate to see poachers taking several fish that should be CR'D. BTW I ended up with 1 lmb @ 4.6 off the point in Sail Cove.

Keep Tight lines

calico killer kevin
02-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Wow, that a nice fish for the dead of winter. :Shocked:

Hey so that was you at BPS a few weeks ago. I would have said hi, but I was
to busy filling my basket.:LOL:

Pete Marino
02-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Skyler.. I mentioned it to my wife and her reaction was.."wow that was when I was like 8-10 years old I think I remember him and I think he went to my school" She said "Hi" though..

Yeah I had a both at Bass pro shops that weekend. On Saturday I had a tournament so my wife Carissa and friend Barry filled in for me. I was supposed to go there around 3 pm but it took me forever to get home from the lake. Then on Sunday I was so sick that I didnt get out of bed all day so my wife had to go pick up my things at Bass Pro. :Sad:
I'll be at the next 3 show weekends though... Im looking forward to it.

ART HILL
02-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Congatulations on your finish at the Perris tournament. :Beer Toast:

Pete Marino
02-17-2009, 09:59 PM
:Beer Toast:

Skyler
02-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Skyler.. I mentioned it to my wife and her reaction was.."wow that was when I was like 8-10 years old I think I remember him and I think he went to my school" She said "Hi" though..

Yeah I had a both at Bass pro shops that weekend. On Saturday I had a tournament so my wife Carissa and friend Barry filled in for me. I was supposed to go there around 3 pm but it took me forever to get home from the lake. Then on Sunday I was so sick that I didnt get out of bed all day so my wife had to go pick up my things at Bass Pro. :Sad:
I'll be at the next 3 show weekends though... Im looking forward to it.

Cool. I knew that was her. Anyways, keep up the good work. You've got that lake dialed in, man.

BassinPLS
02-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Pete,

I ran out to Perris last Sunday to watch the weigh-in. Finally some nice bags starting to come in. It seems like a lot more fish are being caught, than a couple of weeks ago.

I was happy for you guys. A great bag, (Thanks to the little wife for the last Donkey)!

Good Show and Thanks for your posts. They are so informative, which is nice to see. Most of us reading this page really appreciate a little help on what is working at the current time. So many posts are real secretive on how and where they caught their fish. I heard the trench was really crowded; but that apparently was where the majority of the big fish were caught.

Thank again for the great post. They are appreciated...please keep them coming.

BassinPLS

Troutman65
02-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Pete, Congrats . Very :Cool: you and the wife fish as a Team :!!!::!!!: It don't get any better than that :!!!::!!!: Looking forward to the pics. of the bass :!!!: Thanks for the report, very informative.

Hog Caller
02-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Pete,

We were sitting about 100 feet from you when your wife stuck that donkey. Great job on the big fish and congrats on the 3rd place. It was pretty tough that day and to beat you out somebody had some great skills and a lot of luck. We were the guys telling her great job in the white Nitro by you.

H/C

Pete Marino
02-18-2009, 05:48 PM
You should have said hi and introduced yourself. Yeha she was very excited when she caught that fish, so was I. She has been struggling a bit lately because she hasnt been able to put in as much time on the water as she would like so catching that big one made her feel great. She worked hard all day and kept with it till the very end which is all I ask for from her and it paid off...

Next time introduce yourself when we are out there...

Hog Caller
02-18-2009, 10:25 PM
I will make it a point to introduce myself Pete.
You're a very fortunate man to have a wife that loves to fish and we were stoked for her catch. That was a SWEEEET bass. We struggled all day, but have learned a lot by watching and paying attention to what you, your wife and the other guys were doing. Your posts help a lot as well. We love Perris and I caught my PB last year on March 1st there at 11.25 lbs. We're waiting for the crankbait bite to go off again.
If you could PM me with your Perris Special rates and availablity for next week my buddy and I would love a lesson from what we consider to be the best oif the best for local fishing. We're both trying to swing a day off next week during the week.

Thanks,

H/C (Brent)

Pete Marino
02-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Thank you very much for the kind words..

The PM is on the way...