PDA

View Full Version : Striper Rod?

gavin310
02-16-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm going out to Castaic on a boat for my first time striper fishing. I just want to make sure I have something that can handle a big guy if i get one. What type of rods are best for striper fishing? Maybe I already have one I can use.

gavin310
02-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Forgot to say, I'm gonna be using a 4000 size spinning reel. Unless that's a bad idea for stripers? I really have no idea how to fish for these guys.

FishingFanatic
02-17-2009, 08:15 AM
I use a 7' medium/heavy bate caster for lure fishing with 14lb test, a 61/2 spinning rod for bait fishing with 4-10lb test, and a 71/2 flipping stick with 20lb for swimbait fishing. Have caught some 10#'s on this and no problems. I would imagine if you plan on catching some 20lbs you need to go with a 71/2 heavy action with 25# line. Post your report when ya go.

FishingFanatic
02-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Some people argue that stripers are not line shy. However, I have met several people at Skinner that swear by 4lb test when fishing for stripers on spinning gear. Although, a 20lb is rare in this lake but not unheard of.

gavin310
02-17-2009, 09:35 AM
I use a 7' medium/heavy bate caster for lure fishing with 14lb test, a 61/2 spinning rod for bait fishing with 4-10lb test, and a 71/2 flipping stick with 20lb for swimbait fishing. Have caught some 10#'s on this and no problems. I would imagine if you plan on catching some 20lbs you need to go with a 71/2 heavy action with 25# line. Post your report when ya go.

Thanks for that good info. Just curious... what bait caster do you use? I've been wanting to get one and this would be the perfect situation to have one since I'll be fishing with RattleTraps and top water lures. My only experience is with Avet conventional reels though, and I still haven't totally gotten the hang of those so I backlash maybe 1 out of 4 casts. My reels don't have the magnetic cast control mechanism though. Does the magnet really help with backlash that much? I don't want to be in the middle of a striper boil dealing with backlash... Maybe I should just bring my spinning gear to be safe.

dodoman
02-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Some people argue that stripers are not line shy. However, I have met several people at Skinner that swear by 4lb test when fishing for stripers on spinning gear. Although, a 20lb is rare in this lake but not unheard of.

ive seen a large school of 15-20lbers following the stocked trouts at skinner.
the water clarity was great, and was able to see the whole action.
to bad, my swimbait rod was,nt ready. ( did not have a swimbait tyed on the line ).
lesson learned: TIP #1 . always have a swimbait rod ready at all times.

rod suggestion, DEPENDING on how big of a bait you use.

basscatcher
02-17-2009, 07:21 PM
sorry its not that rod its the calcutta rod that a good friend of mine has and it works great.

God Bless

basscatcher

lizzay
02-17-2009, 07:26 PM
For what this is worth, I've used even walmart rods and managed a full day of 5 to 10lb. limit and it still works, even the reel. My tackle is a bit upgraded but I still find myself using anything for stripers and it hasn't failed yet. *knock on wood*
For lines, I've used up to 14 and have done fine but I do realize that my 8s and occasionally 6lb. will do better.

GeordyBass
02-17-2009, 07:49 PM
get yourself a 7'+ shimano convergence medium heavy or medium action.They cost around $40 with lifetime warranty and it's a great rod overall...8-10lb. test is fine...if you hook into a bigger model....fight it!

karlow
02-18-2009, 12:25 PM
4 lb trout gear will do the most damage!
Most of the stripers are line shy and trout size.
If you locate some larger models, let me know.
I have been looking for them since last year w/o much luck.
2 years ago we were dealing with 4-10Lb fish. Now it more like 2 lb fish.

KP

J. Owen
02-18-2009, 12:34 PM
try a ugly stick for stripers its in expensive very strong
and has a soft tip 7' to 8' mh action
14 pound test should do fine

Skyler
02-18-2009, 01:29 PM

I agree. I use 4 pound quite often when dropshotting nightcrawlers for stripers. I seem to get more fish than when using 6 pound.

As for the rod, I use two rods for striper. One for bait, which should be decently parabolic, and a fast action rod for fishing lures. I generally use either a 6 1/2 foot moderate light action or a 9 foot moderate medium/light for the bait, and a 7 foot medium/extra fast dropshot rod for lures.

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-18-2009, 02:07 PM
I'll keep it simple since many views are being expressed here, the fish you target should depict the tackle used....

baiting I use 7 1/2' medium heavy rod, spinning or baitcaster...doesnt matter, it's your preference, obviously the biger lures require bigger tackle. A baitcaster will allow more power and control but when topwater "walk the dog" fishing, I personally use an 8' spinning rod (1pc)

Baiting I run 8lb test and I've landed 20 lb striper on that but played the hell outa 'em...

8lb should do ya fine, yes lighter line will get more bites but I'd ONLY run them if you cannot get bit with the heavier line...

Lure fishing: I fish 15lb for topwater and 25 lb for the big swimbaits

Now if your going to castaic and going to fish bait......good luck catching any of the quality fish, they havnt been on a bait bite for some time...

I'd like to be wrong on that one but I'd say bait will not be bringing you a fullfilling day unles its live shad

Sling the big swimbaits early then troll U rigs during the day...heavy conventional tackle will be needed with line counters for trolling..

P.S.
Don't overthink the pole or blow major coin doing it, it's the methods that will put you on the fish not the pole, I'd sum up by saying do not go extremely light less U have to, then just run a light leader..

Of course you do want to have the right power if you do tangle with grandpa stripey....and THEY ARE THERE !!!!!
I hope you find some active schools !

Good luck,
Gary

MAVERICK27
02-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Wow, starting to sound like completely separate gear depending on where and what size striper you are going for.

GeordyBass
02-18-2009, 02:38 PM
also,since a lot of people say that stripers are line shy,use fluorocarbon 8-12lb. test!It's virtually invisible so you shouldn't have any problems with the fish seeing it.....also stronger too....dont lightline it,you'll break off a lot of the big ones bud....

MAVERICK27
02-18-2009, 02:48 PM
So, is a good consensus maybe have a lite line like a 6 or 8lb and a 14-25lb for swimbaits and large fish? See,s like a good idea to bring both and toss them both out there

fishinone
02-18-2009, 05:12 PM
For bait and wait, light line 2-4lb. is great until you get hammered. You'll only loose the big ones. I use 8 lb fluorocarbon, if they won't hit it I switch to 6 lb. You "have to have" a good drag that's in good working order. If not, you'll only loose the big ones.

For umbrella rigs a small Penn reel with 30 lb main line and 25 lb leaders will do. Don't set the drags to tight the big ones will break your leaders or straighten your hooks, 10 lb drag is too much. The rigs give the fish something besides the drag to pull against and sometimes you'll have 3 striper on at once and they can pull against each other. I lost every big fish that I hooked trolling last year, at least 7 of them. Caught many up to 8 lb.

Good Luck,

P. S. Don't let people tell you they are gone or that there aren't many in there. The lake is chuck full of them.