PDA

View Full Version : Halibuts gone wild

fishon714
06-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Went down Cherry Beach yesterday (Monday) cause the employee at Performance Tackle told me (after I bought $100 worth of lures) that it is a HOT spot for hali's. Caught 8 halibuts 2 legals (smaller ones were 11 inches). Took 1 to my buddy who owns a restaurant and we had some nice spicy marinated halibut with french fries on the side.

FYI...
I am no longer in the hunt for halibut. For those that have seen my previous posts I've been motivated by halijedi and others like jikster, ron, etc. to catch halibut because they were harder for me to catch than yellowtail, yellowfin, skipjack, barricuda, batrays, salmon, sturgeon, carp, catfish, etc. etc. After catching about 107 halibuts (30+ legals) the last 2 weeks I can honestly say I am sick of butts and the thrill/challenge is totally gone. I will re-evaluate my situation and my fishing goals for 2007. I'm leaning towards targeting great white shark, bluefin and marlin since these are some of the fish I haven't caught yet and are much more difficult to catch than the average fish. I will need a boat to pursue these 3 types of fish so I have decided to purchase a used 28 to 32 foot boat (skipjack or grady white) and trade in my S2000 and LS430 for a Nissan Titan 4x4 (white w/ grey interior) with tow package. Please wish me luck in my pursuit of the ultimate fish. I may decide to go for all 3 of these elusive fish, but no matter what I'm not going to quit until I've caught at least 5 of these 3 types of fish. If you do not see anymore posts from me, please assume I am somethere out in the ocean in the ultimate hunt. Who knows....maybe they will make a reality TV show based on my pursuit.

But, in the meantime while I locate my new boat, I'll be at Santa Ana River Lake tomorrow if anyone wants to join me, please PM me. Target fish is: TROUT (even though trout season is over, this will make it even more difficult to catch).

fishon714

alexonfreshsaltwater
06-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Man - you are a halibut slayer. Last year I saw you slay so many yellowtail and yellow fin. When I saw you at that 2 day boat trip to mexico for yellow fin and dorado, you just slay them one after another.

When are you going after blue fin? Let me know pal... Hey, hold on to that S2000. I'll buy iy from you.

LBSea
06-12-2007, 10:52 AM
I believe Great Whites are OFF LIMITS in California but Makos & Threashers will keep you plenty busy. Funny how that Burt Out feeling comes once you've mastered a type of fish. I have felt the same way about LM Bass, Spotties, Tuna and Sail Fish. I guess it's all relative.

Look for a good WALK AROUND aka Center Counsil boat if Tuna, Marlin and Shark are your next goal. Helps when trying to follow those fish as each one likes to go all over the place when hooked.

Tight Lines

Doug

dirthead
06-12-2007, 11:30 AM
it is against the law to target great white sharks

FishyBiz
06-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Went down Cherry Beach yesterday (Monday) cause the employee at Performance Tackle told me (after I bought $100 worth of lures) that it is a HOT spot for hali's. Caught 8 halibuts 2 legals (smaller ones were 11 inches). Took 1 to my buddy who owns a restaurant and we had some nice spicy marinated halibut with french fries on the side.

FYI...
I am no longer in the hunt for halibut. For those that have seen my previous posts I've been motivated by halijedi and others like jikster, ron, etc. to catch halibut because they were harder for me to catch than yellowtail, yellowfin, skipjack, barricuda, batrays, salmon, sturgeon, carp, catfish, etc. etc. After catching about 107 halibuts (30+ legals) the last 2 weeks I can honestly say I am sick of butts and the thrill/challenge is totally gone. I will re-evaluate my situation and my fishing goals for 2007. I'm leaning towards targeting great white shark, bluefin and marlin since these are some of the fish I haven't caught yet and are much more difficult to catch than the average fish. I will need a boat to pursue these 3 types of fish so I have decided to purchase a used 28 to 32 foot boat (skipjack or grady white) and trade in my S2000 and LS430 for a Nissan Titan 4x4 (white w/ grey interior) with tow package. Please wish me luck in my pursuit of the ultimate fish. I may decide to go for all 3 of these elusive fish, but no matter what I'm not going to quit until I've caught at least 5 of these 3 types of fish. If you do not see anymore posts from me, please assume I am somethere out in the ocean in the ultimate hunt. Who knows....maybe they will make a reality TV show based on my pursuit.

But, in the meantime while I locate my new boat, I'll be at Santa Ana River Lake tomorrow if anyone wants to join me, please PM me. Target fish is: TROUT (even though trout season is over, this will make it even more difficult to catch).

fishon714

Before you get the boat, you should try fly fishing. If you've been fly fishing, then you might want to try fly fishing for carp. :D

paintnfish
06-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Sounds like a good run no doubt, nothing beats a nice halibut
dinner but obviously it time to move on to bigger and better
things, good luck on finding your new boat and if you ever need
a net man Id be more than willing to pitch in :D

fishon714
06-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Look for a good WALK AROUND aka Center Counsil boat if Tuna, Marlin and Shark are your next goal. Helps when trying to follow those fish as each one likes to go all over the place when hooked.

Tight Lines

Doug

Thanks Doug. I have my eye on this from boattrader.com. What do you think? It's a little off my budget but it's a good value.

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/boatfishon.jpg

It was built in the 1980's. Is this too old? If this were a car I wouldn't even consider it...but I heard boats can be older. Please advise.

fishon714

sansou
06-13-2007, 02:21 PM
I think you should buy it. :wink:

victor101
06-13-2007, 02:28 PM
i would buy it if i had the money to. then id invite my friends from fnn :wink: :lol:

jplee3
06-13-2007, 02:38 PM
i would buy it if i had the money to. then id invite my friends from fnn :wink: :lol:

Heh heh... you should buy it and call it the "FNN57" :D

one_leg
06-13-2007, 04:56 PM
May I suggest a Skipper
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/PirateSkipper.jpg

Troutman65
06-13-2007, 05:34 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for the good belly laugh Fishon714 !!!

Good luck on your fishing quest !!

:lol:

Jikser
06-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Good luck on your next quest bro. I havent gone hali fishing from the surf this season. My goal is to hook up a monster butt on my boat. So far no luck.

shy_boxer
06-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Nice report! LMAO one_leg.

SanDimasLMB
06-14-2007, 07:25 AM
May I suggest a Skipper
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/PirateSkipper.jpg

Aahahaha LMAO :lol:

fishon714
06-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Good luck on your next quest bro. I havent gone hali fishing from the surf this season. My goal is to hook up a monster butt on my boat. So far no luck.

The best spot for big butts on a boat is south of Dana Point about 5 miles south. I was there last year on a buddy's boat when we landed that monster 40+ inch butt (shown in my avatar). That thing almost capsized the boat. You can launch out of Dana.

I haven't seen you near the jetties or shore in awhile. I assume cause of your new toy you bought last year!!! Nice. :?

fishon714

Gmoney
06-15-2007, 11:03 AM
cool report
if you need assistance with your search for a nissan just let me know. I work for a car dealership group and one of our dealers is a Nissan.
i have referred a few people to the nissan before and they were very happy with the outcome

Jikser
06-15-2007, 10:24 PM

The best spot for big butts on a boat is south of Dana Point about 5 miles south. I was there last year on a buddy's boat when we landed that monster 40+ inch butt (shown in my avatar). That thing almost capsized the boat. You can launch out of Dana.

I haven't seen you near the jetties or shore in awhile. I assume cause of your new toy you bought last year!!! Nice. :?

fishon714

haha...ya the boat and motorcycles are keeping me off the surf this season. i enjoy it too much, so much to conquer out in the deep. in fact, i'll be in the YT tourney this weekend down south. thanks for the tip bro on the halis, wanna take me to the Dana spot? only if you're not so bored with hali fishing of course...lol

wil

atomiie
06-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Good luck. :D

fishon714
06-16-2007, 06:44 PM
on the halis, wanna take me to the Dana spot? only if you're not so bored with hali fishing of course...lol

I would love to, but I'm headed up to the very elusive and difficult Santa Ana River Lake Huck Finn fishing pod. This is one of the few places I have skunked. 0-3 there so far with my kid.

fishon714

halijedi
06-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Halibut from a boat? Santa Rosa all the way. A tank full of live squid and you have a great shot at a 40+ pound halibut.