PDA

View Full Version : gulp! jerk shads

megafisher94
02-16-2009, 08:13 PM
what are some of the ways you guys fish these? i know about the drop shot but what kind of jig heads do you use???

cappo
02-16-2009, 09:07 PM
I mostly use darter heads (owner). Ive been looking to try the sledheads though.

lurk 182
02-16-2009, 09:26 PM
flyline if you don't need casting distance. they're better than a zoom fluke i think, way more realistic anyway. you could c-rig them too if you need to get them out there.

fish_sauce
02-16-2009, 09:30 PM
I Texas rig them with 1/8 to 1/4 oz and Gamakatsu offset shank when fishing in weeds/kelp etc or i hook them to 1/8 to 1/4 oz lead head/ jig heads and just bounce them off the bottom on days when crankbaits/jerkbaits and dropshots are slow to produce.

TShaffer
02-16-2009, 10:03 PM
dude this goes in the saltwater general message board! :Rolls Eyes:

sonarbp
02-17-2009, 07:53 AM
what are some of the ways you guys fish these? i know about the drop shot but what kind of jig heads do you use???

I mostly use darter heads (owner). Ive been looking to try the sledheads though.

Owner sledheads are the way to go! They make the bait weedless and seem to give it alot more action. This is how I fish all my gulp jerkshad now.

If you are fishing the 5" gulp jerkshad use the sledheads with the 2/0 hook.
For the 7" gulp jerkshad use the sledhead with the 4/0 hook.

Rigging on the sledhead will allow you to fish the kelp and boilers without having to worry about snags!!!!

Skyler
02-17-2009, 10:27 AM
I fish them on a 1/4 oz round jighead. I've tryed all kinds of shapes and weights, but I find that the low weight and slow spiral decent that the 1/4 oz round head offers gets me the most bites. Just cast it out, let it sink on a semi-slack line (watch the line, as the fish like to pick it up on the drop), then reel up all the slack, pump your rod tip up (a longer rod helps), and let it fall again. Repeat the process all the way back to the shore/boat, and cast out again, using a fan pattern. Tip: the local SBB really dig the nuclear chicken color.

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-17-2009, 04:20 PM
I fish them on a 1/4 oz round jighead. I've tryed all kinds of shapes and weights, but I find that the low weight and slow spiral decent that the 1/4 oz round head offers gets me the most bites. Just cast it out, let it sink on a semi-slack line (watch the line, as the fish like to pick it up on the drop), then reel up all the slack, pump your rod tip up (a longer rod helps), and let it fall again. Repeat the process all the way back to the shore/boat, and cast out again, using a fan pattern. Tip: the local SBB really dig the nuclear chicken color.

Very sound advice.....

1/4 oz gamagaktsu jighead....bounce the bottom or swim it...let the fish mouth it some b4 setting the hook...the alive minnow works better than the jerkshad though but they only make it up to 4" but I 've slayed many big feesh even on the 4".

round head has better feel on the bottom for sensitivity and decent....it's fall is actually better than a darter head..

I don't raise it too far from the bottom usually unless I'm strictly going for bass, I try to keep it relatively close to the bottom and produce short bouncing sweeps from the rod..

once in a while I use 1/2 oz but lighter the better, that way theres less resistance when the fish mouths it..

(I have got them on the jerkshad too but the alive is better 10 to 1)

I hope this helps,
Gary