PDA

View Full Version : California Heritage Trout Challenge???

thepuma
02-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Just wondering if anyone on this forum is participating in this personal challenge sponsored by the DFG? Has anyone completed this? I would like to give this a try. I think this may take a few years for me to complete, if ever. Would be fun trying. Gives me some motivation to visit other areas I have never fished before.
Scott

Info on it.
TAKE THE CHALLENGE!
By catching six different forms of California native trout from their historic drainages and photographing these fish you can receive a colorful, personalized certificate featuring the art of renowned fish illustrator Joseph Tomelleri. Your certificate will show six full-color images representing the trout you caught, along with their dates and locations. It is sized to fit in a standard 16 x 20 inch matted frame.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/fishing/Recognition/HTC/index.asp

dross99_si
02-17-2009, 11:22 AM
My buddies and I have been toying with the idea for almost a year now. We just don't have the money and time to traverse california in search of those troutsters. I'd love to have that certificate hanging on my wall though, along with a trophy largemouth one.

Big Country
02-17-2009, 11:41 AM
When I looked at this a year or two back, it looked like the Paiute Trout would be the toughest to catch due to the location of where it could be caught (or better yet, where you were allowed to fish in order to catch it).

In looking at dfg regs on the challenge, it now appears that you can't catch the Paiute Trout because they have removed the info on it. This fish was in an area that has long been closed off, but they did open it briefly, but now it looks like it might be going through revisions again and possibly closed off.

Good luck though to anyone that tries the challenge though.