PDA

View Full Version : Otay 2/14 - Tha Missed Run. Don't Ya hate that?

bluehunter
02-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Back out there this weekend with a buddy. We had one good run. Missed it. But have it on film. Pure comedy though yall. Check it out. Back there real soon though. This is what keeps us going. Thanks for viewing.

Brian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgm3UtGzah8

steve092
02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Awwww... That sucks man!

But like it says at the end of the video, that's why you keep going back!

fishmounter
02-16-2009, 06:36 PM
You know I've seen how a large cat feeds in big public aquariums, and they pretty much just go up and mouth the chunk and swallow it. Why do you let them run so long? I'm no expert at all on big Blues, but I have caught my share of nice Channels and we fish with our bails closed and some slack in the line and when that line gets tight, we wind them in (Circle hooks). I would think that by letting them run for so long that you would end up with more gut hooked cats..? By the way I really enjoy your posts, vids, & pics.

bluehunter
02-16-2009, 07:43 PM
That is the same thing I told my buddy. I normally do the 10 second count and set the hook. But I believe that he was going by the philosophy of big bait and giving them more time to get it. I also believe that it gives more of an opportunity for a gut hooked fish but I just let some people do their thing as he has caught many big blues before so I guess its the system he feels comfortable with. The camera action may have also had something to do with it too actually showing the run on camera which was pretty cool. LOL. One thing that can put a lot of that to rest is the circle hook which is why I like to use them for time to times especially for the finicky biters.

The question you pose is a valid question I already had several people ask me the same question. "Why so long to set the hook?" You can ask several people the same question and they will give you different answers. I guess it is them going by instinct in when they feel they should actually set the hook. And also wether its open water or structure fishing. If structure fishing I know I am on it with them not letting them run at all. But with open water I can go from 10-15 seconds. Some others may go longer.

chivo
02-16-2009, 07:52 PM
MAN!!!! I know what you mean. I watched that video and i had some flashbacks, many flashbacks of the one's that got away or the one i lost. heartbreaking

fishmounter
02-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Yeah well you know I figured that with that long run, the fish would be on, but do you think the hook set just yanked it out of the catfish's mouth? Some fish, I would guess cats could be included, will be in groups or packs and grab a baitfish and swim like crazy away from the others. Kind of like when a chicken finds a big nightcrawler!

bluehunter
02-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Sometimes the hook just do not set in their mouths. Sometimes when they smash on the bait they can bury the hook in the bait. That has happened to me more times than I would like to say. And it happened on big fish too at that. Also it could be that they are traveling with the bait to a destination and then when they get there they will engulf it. Kind of like how a bird takes food to their net and eat it it there. Also big fish have tough mouths. You really have to get a good hook set and stick it to them unless they happen to swallow the bait. He was using a 10/0 hook so it was one of thos freak things that happen when the fish just do not get hooked. It happens to us more times than we would like, but it happens.

I was thinking when the run stoped that the fish may have sat on the bait and reached its destination. I had that happen before. Or he could have spit the bait as well also came across my mind. But he was there. He just missed the hook set.

Seng90806
02-16-2009, 11:17 PM
you'll get em' next time...make you wonder how big that sucker is :LOL:

Santa Fe Eric
02-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Like Forrest Gump, he just kept running and running!
Great videos Brian!

Keep up the good work!

bones
02-17-2009, 05:03 PM
I had a serious panic attack watching your bro wait so long for the hookset. I do alot of halibut fishing and a 5 second wait seems like forever....LOL
Love the vids Brian....Keep them comming and I'm looking forward to seeing you boat a big blue soon!
I've got a question regarding vids......PM sent

sidified
02-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Fun video, even without the catch--Keep 'em coming.