PDA

View Full Version : Newport Harbor Adventures

cricketwars
06-11-2007, 10:42 PM
what's up everybody. this is my first post.

I've been fishing NPH for the last couple of months with varied success. Lately though, I haven't been having much success from the docks and jetties.

After lots of research, i bought an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT Angler. This was in hopes that i would be able to improve my fishing and have an amazing summer.

(the following are a couple late reports (and one from today) from other forums, i just recently got an account here so i figured i might as well post them.

5/29

I took it out yesterday for the first time (second time on a kayak, ever. First time fishing from one) I launched at about 12 and got some smelt for bait and mainly to test out the pvc bait tube i just made.

I paddled to about half way down the wedge-side jetty and threw out a smelt on one rod, and started working a 4" grn/red big hammer swimbait. now, up until this point all my saltwater fish had been taken on frozen bait, so when i got a BIG strike on the artificial for the first time it was amazing! my first fish on the new boat was a decent sandbass.

Through the rest of the day, i got 4 spotties and another sandbass (my biggest of the day. caught on a live smelt). 6 fish altogether. 5 on a plastic swimbait which was a first for me. All bass were caught on lite gear with 6# test, so the bigger ones felt huge! I didn't have the balls to get my phone out of my hatch to take pictures (still getting used to the boat). but next time for sure!

I'm officially addicted to kayak fishing.

ps. a lot of my success today has to do with forums like this. I've been lurking them for a while and getting some really good advice and tips. i know i have a lot to learn but im off to a good start. thanks guys.

5/31

More of the same today. My buddy just got a kayak as well, so this was his first time out. We met a dude with a reall sick green Wilderness Systems kayak. He said he was prefishing for a tournament? saw more yak fisherman than ive noticed before.

anyway, we immediately hit a nice bite near the coast gaurd station around 7am. 3 spotties for me. the rest of the day was pretty slow with us catching a sandbass each. 5 fish total.

6/3

100% skunked. kinda discouraging but i know it happens.

6/11

went out today from 4-9. caught 3 sandbass around 5pm with the rising tide near davies. got 2 spotties an hour later near the docks at the coast guard station. and my biggest fish of the day believe it or not, was a very nice, though juvenile, wsb. it was my first wsb ever and i was pretty excited when i got a glimpse of it coming up. i havent read much about the little dudes being big fighters but this fish really didnt wanna come up. all fish taken on a 5" "calico hunter" BH swimbait. another sick *** day. each time i go out i kick myself for not bringing a camera, but soon enough i will.

Brad100
06-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Hey - welcome to this site... you're gonna love it! Good job in NPH, I love it down there!