PDA

View Full Version : Questions about drop shotting in the surf

gavin310
02-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Couple questions... How do you retrieve a drop shot in the surf? Do you constantly retrieve it or do you keep it in place and let the current move it around? Also, how high up do you tie the hook usually? Thanks

bones
02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
I usually use a 1/0 or 2/0 DS hook depending on the size of the bait. 8 to 10lb P-Line and a tag of 12". I only use a shorter tag when the water is very stained.You want to use a heavy enough weight to always stay in contact with the bottom. Most of the time I use a 3/8 oz DS weight.I suppose that you could twitch and drag as you would while LMB fishing but I don't feel that is as Important when you are dealing with alot of current. In areas like LB harbor or other still water areas you need to put a little life into it but to be honest.....If you drop your bait in the water right in front of you and look at actually how little you really need to twitch your rod to put the life into your bait.....It doesn't take much. I'm assuming that your are targeting halibut.Halibut are pretty aggressive if you put it in front of their face. I'm really liking the dropshot thing for the buts right now. I become more focused and I use the technique combined with tossing hardbaits and krocs to completely cover the water column on the area I'm at before moving down the surfline.I always carry two rods. One with a DS setup and one with a hardbait or Kroc tied on.I guess the best stratagy I use is somewhat of a "Rushed" dropshot presentation compared to shall we say dropshotting robo's for LMB in the FW.As long as you can feel the bottom while you are dragging the bait.....You are moving it slow enough IMHO.Just drag it a few feet and bounce the tip of your rod no more than a few inches (at most) with a pause while you recover the line for the next drag.One of the hardest things to do is to NOT rush the last 10 ft or so. I've had a ton of fish hit my bait when it was right in front of me.

gavin310
02-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Can't thank you enough man. That's exactly what I needed. Can't wait to try it out!

troutdog
02-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Nice post Bones, I am going to put that advice to use next time I'm out!

TD

kissthecrook
03-02-2009, 07:38 PM
You can dead stick the ds.
The key is finding structure.
water always moves.

q3fishboy
03-02-2009, 08:06 PM
bones -

thanks for the tutorial. read the article on drop shotting on sc surf fishing as well as asking wingnut for some tips, but always looking for more advice. look forward to giving this a try. thanks again.

roy