PDA

View Full Version : Detox

baadfish69
02-15-2009, 10:15 AM
So Ive decided to give my body a chance to get healthy again. Ive been a beer drinker of 6-8 beers a night for at least the past 10 years. Today will be day #1 with no beer. A nutritionist gave me a 1 week Detox package, that (supposedly) cleanses the bowels and liver. I mix this pre-biotic and fiber mix into some juice in the morning, along with 4 horse pills. Ugh. Tastes ok considering. Then theres an evening formula too. I bought a lifetime membership to 24hr Fitness, and have a couple buddies who are on board with me for changing our lifestyles.

Has anybody gone through this? Anything I should be concerned with or should expect?

Thanks all.....

BF69

DccFISHerMan
02-15-2009, 10:17 AM
good luck man!!

J. Owen
02-15-2009, 11:00 AM
i was a meth adict for many years the first month is the worst!!!
you will feel lake there is something missing in your daily life
1.well step one go to meetings this is very important to recovery
2. go a/a meeting at least 4 times a week
3.meet other sober people for suport
4.get an a/a book read it the stories in it will give great suport
5.get a sponsor and work the 12 steps
if you dont work your steps relaps will hapen eventually i have seen it many times you will be sober for a while but it will hapen
6.stay out of bars and have no alcohol in you home
if you need suport and feel like you need suport let me know and i will im
you my personal phone number to help you if you need it
i have 5 years clean
one is to many, and a thousand is never enough!!!

baadfish69
02-15-2009, 11:26 AM
i was a meth adict for many years the first month is the worst!!!
you will feel lake there is something missing in your daily life
1.well step one go to meetings this is very important to recovery
2. go a/a meeting at least 4 times a week
3.meet other sober people for suport
4.get an a/a book read it the stories in it will give great suport
5.get a sponsor and work the 12 steps
if you dont work your steps relaps will hapen eventually i have seen it many times you will be sober for a while but it will hapen
6.stay out of bars and have no alcohol in you home
if you need suport and feel like you need suport let me know and i will im
you my personal phone number to help you if you need it
i have 5 years clean
one is to many, and a thousand is never enough!!!

Appreciate your help. However, Im not so sure the AA route is right for me. From what I understand, AA is very religious based, and that alone will make me disinterested. (No offense to the believers)

However, due to the DUI I got stuck with, I start an alchohol program this week, where I go once a week for 4 months, and they said I also have to do 8 AA meetings also to fulfill my court required sentence. So I guess we shall see where that leads.

I actually didnt intend on quitting drinking completely, just cutting back to social events ONLY. Im starting to think that might be a bad idea though, and just lead back to daily drinking. So if trying to do this on my own doesnt work out.....I just might hit ya up. Thanks again!

sansou
02-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I sincerely wish you the strength and courage to tackle this problem. Who knows, you may become a better fisherman for it!

Troutman65
02-15-2009, 05:14 PM
I sincerely wish you the strength and courage to tackle this problem. Who knows, you may become a better fisherman for it!

I second that. You can do it :!!!:

J. Owen
02-15-2009, 05:22 PM
sounds good plan
but if it boesnt work let me know
i am not for religon but the help i got was being around other sober people and making new friends not just party budies
listening to other people stories of recovery is insparation to do the same
good luck

olfishergal
02-15-2009, 06:24 PM
please be careful. After years of drinking, your body is addicted to the alcohol. ETOH detox can be quite bad causing shaking, high blood pressure, possibly seizures and many other unpleasant side effects. I highly recommend you consult with your doctor right away to stem off these potential problems. There are medicatipns that will stop the bad withdrawal symptoms. This advise I would give to anyone who wants to undertake any type of detox program. and I agree, AA/NA is not for everyone. There are other programs that can help just as much without the religious conotations. Take care of yourself and congratulations on making the committment to change your lifestyle....OFG

DarkShadow
02-15-2009, 09:12 PM
I thought this was gonna be a post about Dr. Dre's upcoming album.

(baadfish69, good luck with the detoxification!)

FishNFurious
02-15-2009, 11:14 PM
good luck to you man, giving up vices isn't an easy thing to do. Quitting cigarettes was the toughest thing for me to do.

Sue
02-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Good luck!
As far as the DUI classes go...they're actually quite interesting and if you allow yourself to benefit from them, then you will. Yeah, you get the moaners who believe they shouldn't be there......don't be one of them!

AA isn't too bad....it does have religious connotations but it's more about finding a "higher power" to have faith in while you're going through the steps...however, I hated it. I do have the Big Book though, and from time to time I read through it. It's interesting.

Hope it all works out well for you.

baadfish69
02-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Wow...I appreciate everyones support very much. I knew this was a group of people I could confide in. I will take everyones advice to heart and try to learn from it.

OFG, Ive been hearing the same info you mentioned. My insurance starts back up in about 2 more weeks, so I definitely will go see the doc. Im almost wondering if I should wait til then to be safe, or is that just making an excuse to drink?

I made it thru night #1 okay I guess. Couldnt sleep for the life of me, and today Im already feeling like something isnt right and wondering how tonight will be.

Oh well, one day at a time right? Haha....."The FNN Alcoholic Chronicles"

matt duarte
02-16-2009, 08:13 PM
i wish you the best of luck dude! just like olfishergal said be careful i had a buddy that at 18 started drinking daily and as time went on it got more and more... he was 23 when he went to a rehab program and the detoxed him wrong with out the beer his body went into shock, he was walking down the steps at the center and passed out hitting his head on the way down.. he wasnt taken to the hosptial right away, he was sent home. a few days went by and he wasnt his self, his mom took him to the hosptial where they found out he had bad brain swelling and he passed away.. i knew him most of my life he was a awesome dude and was only 23 when he passed....its all about family and friends keep them in mind and youll do fine...

i wish you the best of luck be safe

Troutman65
02-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey bro you made it one day. Tomorrow is another day. Do as OFG says and wait till you see your Dr. before you take that stuff. Hang in there bro.

lurk 182
02-16-2009, 10:53 PM
i don't know exactly what you're dealing with, but i suspect that nights will be the toughest, but expect those to get better shortly. you may want to allow yourself 2 or 3 a night for another few weeks then go down to one, then none. stay busy and exercise so you're actually tired at night. hope you don't have a mortgage that's about to adjust or something that's bringing stress on you, cause the desire to just relax and forget about your worries for a little is what gets a lot of people in trouble. just remember, you already made your decision, don't reconsider it every night. avoid situations where you're going to feel out of place w/o a brew.

BrownTrout
02-17-2009, 12:10 PM
i would reccomend hitting up the gym every evening and do some weight lifting and cardio, totaling about an hour, and then sauna for 20 minutes. drink tons of water too. this will help you flush out your body and will help wear you out so you can sleep at night.

keep us updated and good luck.

J. Owen
02-17-2009, 03:28 PM
one day at a time!!!!
keep it up you are winning the strugle

Santa Fe Eric
02-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah Man!
Good Luck and Blessings on your new venture!
I'm inspired to take a look at some things that I need to change as well!
Keep us posted. No mater what, stay connected-nothing but positivity and support here!

City Dad
02-18-2009, 08:58 AM
get yourself a tying vice. seriously.

J. Owen
02-18-2009, 12:27 PM
keep it up remember my offer is still on the table if you need suport

baadfish69
02-18-2009, 01:29 PM
ok...heres an update...

Night 2 sucked really bad, but I grinded it out. Day 3 (yesterday) I went to my intake for the drinking program, and the lady said (after reviewing my habit) that I should be careful, and without proper meds, quitting cold turkey is dangerous, and she recommended that if I cant go to a doctor, to go home and have a drink if my symptoms worsen. (Much like some of you said) They did, so I drank 2 tall cans. (I usually drink 4 to 6)

So yes, I did drink last night, and it was enough to lessen the symptoms enough to try and get thru a few more days without drinking and take it from there.

I found out yesterday at the intake, that my actual classes dont start until March 5th. Im hoping by then I wont even be having withdrawal symptoms. Today I feel good and will have little trouble going without a beer. Its tomorrow and the next day that will be tough.

Geez....I knew it would be a struggle, but not like this.

tpfishnfool
02-18-2009, 04:42 PM
One Day at a time, One hour at a time, One minute at a time.. Good luck man !

PureAle
03-01-2009, 05:28 PM
yup, try hard man. drink some Daily Detox tea available at Whole Foods Market real good stuff all organic. You can also buy pills or supplements that contain Milk Thistle... milk thistle helps detox the liver kidneys. Do some research.

Good Luck,

PureAle