PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day Butts

gavin310
02-15-2009, 12:17 AM
I was planning on heading out to the Malibu surf on Sunday, but the condition reports looked pretty bad. Saturday looked perfect though. I was going to get an early start, but I needed some rest so I got a late start. Was planning on getting there around 6, ended up getting there about 11:30. I was fashionably late, although no one seemed to notice.

I just gotta say right now... I hate P-Line. It holds its shape waaaay too much. It was nothing but a hassle all day. Maybe I spooled it against the twist, but I've never had this much trouble with my line.

This was a perfect day for surf fishing. 1-3 ft. waves, very little salad, good visibility, and very little wind.

I started off throwing one of my LC Flash Minnows... I think it was shad or something? Can't remember. Slooow and steady retrieve for nothing. Tossed it out for about half an hour with no hits. Somewhere in there my line tangled up in the MIDDLE of casting out. Like the line looped around itself in the air and tangled into a huge mess. P-Line sucks. Fixed the tangle and threw the lure a little bit more. Switched it up to a blue and grey one and worked my way down the beach a bit. I slowed up my retrieve even more, almost to a crawl. 2nd or 3rd cast with the crawling retrieve and the lure stopped. Second or two later I feel SOMETHING alive on the end, but it was very light and I thought I got a small perch. So then I feel bump-bump-bump-bump-bump real quick and I'm like OK I got a small halibut cool! The more I reel it in the more fight it puts up, but it still feels like a small one. So then I get it up to me and see it's not tiny... it's definitely a legal! I got it close to shore in about a foot of water, and as soon as the water starts to recede he takes off and my drag starts peeling. Fights on!!! I fight him back close to shore again, and again he takes off. There were workers on the beach in front of some of the houses and they all stopped and were waiting to see what I had. Got him in close and again he takes off. Next time I get him in and run him up onto shore. It's definitely a nice looking butt. The workers all come over to check it out and one of them had a measuring tape. 25 inches! My first surf fish of the year is a legal halibut! I'm a little ways from my bag with my camera phone so I get the butt under my arm and jog down to my bag to snap a quick pic...

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/gavin310/valentines1.jpg

Got him back into the water. It took him a bit to come around... had to do the "back and forth" for about 20 seconds before I felt some muscle movement. Took my hands away and he was off.

Worked my way down the beach again for about 20 minutes. Lots of little nibbles on the lure, and I'll tell you what was doing that in a little bit. The P-Line tangles up again in the air and I spend a good 8 minutes getting the tangle out. Again, on a slow/crawling retrieve the lure stops but this time instantly it's bump-bump-bump-bump-etc. Since the last one didn't put up much of a fight I was thinking OK maybe this one is even bigger! He was fighting pretty good. Got him up to me and saw he was shorter than the other one but still a nice size. He had about 2 drag peeling runs before I got him up to shore. I was next to the workers again and some of them came over to check it out, but no measuring tape. I'd guess 19 inches. One of the workers asked if he could have it, so I said it's a short, gotta throw him back.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/gavin310/valentines2.jpg

A family was walking on the beach and came over to check it out. Showed it to them, got him back into the water, did the back and forth a bit, let go and he was gone.

Threw the same LC out a bit more and hooked something but he got off about 5 seconds later. It felt like a nice sized perch. Tossed it out for a little while longer and got bit again. It was bumping right off the bat so I thought it could be a baby halibut, but soon I recognized the feeling and brought in the small perch. The lure was the same length as the perch. By this time that same family was walking back right past me, so I showed them the little perch and then let it go.

For the next hour or so the halibut bite died, but I could still feel the little perch nibbling at the lure. These were the little buggers picking at my LC all day. Got 2 more mid-air tangles on the P-Line again. I figured I'd end the day picking off some perch, so I tied on a 3/4 oz. weight, bead, swivel, small hook, and a peice of camo sand worm. The perch out there were tiny. I mean like 2 inches. The biggest one I got was maybe 4 inches. (Does anyone know how fast perch grow? When will these babies be 8 inches?) I picked off maybe 10 tiny perch and called it a day.

GREAT outing for my first surf trip of 2009. Couldn't have asked for better conditions.

BIGRED KILLA
02-15-2009, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the pics and report very nice fish for 09. Went to malibu tday too with Bones ended up with 2 shorts at 21 and 19 and lost a legal.keep it up out there maybe one day i will see you out there.

Bigred

fish_sauce
02-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Congrats on the legal and successful CPR of both flatties!

Those perch seem awefully hungry :Wink:

thanks for the report!

Seng90806
02-15-2009, 02:37 AM
nice going out there...you got yourself some nice butt for valentine :LOL:

FISHSTIX
02-15-2009, 03:16 AM
Nice report and pix, way to go on your first hali action of the year and pulling out a legal football.....i mean pancake:LOL:.

fishshep
02-15-2009, 05:46 AM
SHOOT!!!:Shocked:
I must have went to the wrong
spots at Malibu yesterday!!!
Micro-salad all over the place!!!
Congrats. on the Hali's!!! :Big Grin:

Mondo21
02-15-2009, 05:57 AM
What's legal size for butts? Cindy:Big Grin:

DEADROOTS
02-15-2009, 09:22 AM
congrats on the legal

gavin310
02-15-2009, 10:02 AM
What's legal size for butts? Cindy:Big Grin:

Hey Cindy it's 21 or 22 inches can't remember

gavin310
02-15-2009, 10:32 AM
SHOOT!!!:Shocked:
I must have went to the wrong
spots at Malibu yesterday!!!
Micro-salad all over the place!!!
Congrats. on the Hali's!!! :Big Grin:

Yeah man there was a little bit of microsalad but nothing bad. I know how frustrating it can be dealing with that stuff. Usually changing spots works for me. You tried some different spots though?

klocked
02-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Nice job on the Valentine butts Gavin!!

I too had the same problem with P-line.... from looking at the picture of your reel, it looks like you might have too much line on it. P-line is very stiff when its new but it softens up with time. But when it's new and there's too much on the reel, you'll get tangles all the time. Try removing about 50-60 feet of line and then try it. It should start getting softer after about 10 trips.

Once again good job on the butts during the winter:Cool:

Klocked

bergie berg
02-15-2009, 11:21 AM
great job, major props on the release!!

smitty99
02-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Nice work Gavin! Thanks for the report and pictures!

Wingnut
02-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Well done Gavin... first surf fish of the year and it's a legal! :Envious:
I hit the surf today but didn't do nearly as well. :Neutral:
Here comes more rain! :Angry:

gavin310
02-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Nice job on the Valentine butts Gavin!!

I too had the same problem with P-line.... from looking at the picture of your reel, it looks like you might have too much line on it. P-line is very stiff when its new but it softens up with time. But when it's new and there's too much on the reel, you'll get tangles all the time. Try removing about 50-60 feet of line and then try it. It should start getting softer after about 10 trips.

Once again good job on the butts during the winter:Cool:

Klocked

Ya know you're right. That totally makes sense. It must have begun to tangle right after it left the spool and by the time it made it past the eyelets and into the air it was probably tangled. Thanks for the tip!!!

gavin310
02-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Well done Gavin... first surf fish of the year and it's a legal! :Envious:
I hit the surf today but didn't do nearly as well. :Neutral:
Here comes more rain! :Angry:

Wingnut... I just read your report. As much as it sucks to break a rod and lose a LC......................... you broke your rod battling a huge shark in the surf :EyePop: :Envious: I'm jealous as hell!!!!! Seeing that thing surface would have scared the bejesus out of me. I'm already nervous of the ocean cause Jaws damaged me as a child, so if I saw a 6 foot plus shark that close to me, while i was standing in the water, yeah... man... i don't want to think about that.

I just imagined standing in the surf and seeing a 6 foot shark swim past my feet. Just the thought made me lose my breath. Maybe surf fishing isn't for me? :ROFL:

bsp
02-16-2009, 04:55 PM
I just imagined standing in the surf and seeing a 6 foot shark swim past my feet. Just the thought made me lose my breath. Maybe surf fishing isn't for me? :ROFL:

Nah, surf fishing is for you. Maybe wading up past your chest isn't for you? In all seriousness, leopard sharks are harmless and it is really unlikely that you will see any dangerous shark close to shore in California. On the other hand, there are always round stingrays.....

Good job on getting a legal halibut as your first surf fish of the year! With that kind of luck, a 30in halibut is only a trip away.

gavin310
02-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Nah, surf fishing is for you. Maybe wading up past your chest isn't for you? In all seriousness, leopard sharks are harmless and it is really unlikely that you will see any dangerous shark close to shore in California. On the other hand, there are always round stingrays.....

Good job on getting a legal halibut as your first surf fish of the year! With that kind of luck, a 30in halibut is only a trip away.

I can see the news headlines now... "6 Foot Leopard Shark Thought To Be Harmless Attacks Malibu Fisherman"

Thanks man, I was pretty happy when I got my first glimpse of that legal. I'm pretty comfortable in the surf, my only challenge is to work on "surveying" the area... finding areas that should be holding fish. Hopefully I'll run into some of you out there and I can get some help with that.

bsp
02-16-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm pretty comfortable in the surf, my only challenge is to work on "surveying" the area... finding areas that should be holding fish. Hopefully I'll run into some of you out there and I can get some help with that.

Two words: Google Earth

Get on there and find spots that look similar to where you caught fish today. Then, fish them and see which are productive.

gavin310
02-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Two words: Google Earth

Get on there and find spots that look similar to where you caught fish today. Then, fish them and see which are productive.

I've been doing that man. Although not on this last trip :Rolls Eyes: The main problem I have though is seeing the good spots while I'm in the surf. Sometimes I can spot a good riptide, but I know the water and waves are showing me a lot more than I can see.

flyngby
02-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Gavin,

Always nice to get some butt on Valentines Day!!!!!:Big Grin:

Great job on the legal from the surf.:Thumbs Up:

Steve

bones
02-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Nice Job Gavin and congrats on the first legal of the new year. Great start!
Yeah....I too have a problem with any p-line that's over 8lb but it's tougher than sheeet!
It's a good thing that 99% of your butts will not be that far out. I switched over to p-line when I has snapping off all of the time using trilene. Trilene casts well and has very little memory compared to p-line but damn......It's very fragile and not very resistant to abrasion. I cut my hand up pretty good trying to even bust off my 8lb p-line on my spinner the other day. I use 12 lb on my baitcaster. The high memory of the p-line actually prevents nasty backlashes IMHO.

Santa Fe Eric
02-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Nice Work on the Hali's!

Great photo's!

gavin310
02-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Nice Job Gavin and congrats on the first legal of the new year. Great start!
Yeah....I too have a problem with any p-line that's over 8lb but it's tougher than sheeet!
It's a good thing that 99% of your butts will not be that far out. I switched over to p-line when I has snapping off all of the time using trilene. Trilene casts well and has very little memory compared to p-line but damn......It's very fragile and not very resistant to abrasion. I cut my hand up pretty good trying to even bust off my 8lb p-line on my spinner the other day. I use 12 lb on my baitcaster. The high memory of the p-line actually prevents nasty backlashes IMHO.

hmmm ok maybe i'll give it another chance then :) i probably just spooled too much so maybe i was quick to judge

CastMan
02-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Ya just remove some of that line and it'll probably be fine. Also make sure your not exceeding the spools recommended line size too which I'm sure is not the case with you but I thought I'd mention it as I have seen this more than a few times with some dudes out there. Fishing lighter lines is not a sin in saltwater! :Wink: