PDA

View Full Version : Line Twist

The Rookie
02-13-2009, 06:47 PM
I use a spinning reel and I am getting nasty line twist/knots every time I throw lures or jigs Ive replaced the line and tried swivels put am still having probs. Does anyone know the cure for this frustrating situation?

BingJr
02-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Lures themselves (such as spinners/Spoons) cause line twist on their own. Also if you are not putting the line on in the proper direction off of the original spool, you will cause bad line twist just putting line on your spinning real. I am sure there are links on the net showing you the proper way to put line on a spinning reel but the bottom line is make sure the line is coming off the spool and going on your reel in the same direction.

BassFreak
02-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Lots of things cause line twist, wether by themselves or combined. First-off, there will always be a bit of line twist jsut because of the design of the spinning reel but here are a few ways to minimize them.

1. spool fresh line the same way it comes off the spool
2. line that is more limp usually have less memory and are less susceptible to line twist)
3. Choose a reel that lays the line on the spool as evenly as possible, (usually the slower the oscillation the better), also make sure that the line roller has a bearing in it.
4. Never, Never keep reeling when line isnt moving (drag is clicking)

Basically the most important is the line you choose and the reel your using, and if you still get some line twist, just let some of your line out in the water (without anything tied on) and reel in while pinching firmly on the line with your fingers. the line should uncoil itself as its coming in..

If all else fails, switch to a baitcaster.. goodbye line twist.. :Shocked:

calico killer kevin
02-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Some lower end spinning reels just do that. Hence low end. When you spool
the line on, spray a little bit of KVD line manager on there and that seems to
really help. I usually let the store do it though.

High quality swivels should really help with the line twist though. I like Spro
swivels the most.

Rooster
02-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Make sure the swivels are ball bearing swivels. They cost alot more but worth every penny.

Liteliner
02-13-2009, 11:27 PM
I have a stradic mgfb on a crucial dropshot rod and I also noticed alot of line twist. Im using that new Vanish Transition Line. I know im spooling the line on the right way. Does that just come with dropshotting or are there ways to lessen the amount of line twist when dropshotting???

BassFreak
02-13-2009, 11:42 PM
are there ways to lessen the amount of line twist when dropshotting???

Put your bait on as straight as you can and dont reel in too fast.. :Wink:

BassEngineer
02-14-2009, 02:14 AM
I use a spinning reel and I am getting nasty line twist/knots every time I throw lures or jigs Ive replaced the line and tried swivels put am still having probs. Does anyone know the cure for this frustrating situation?

It sounds to me your line is still twisted and/or wasn't spooled properly.
the best thing to do is what the other person said...about letting line out then reeling it back in.

I have a stradic mgfb on a crucial dropshot rod and I also noticed alot of line twist. Im using that new Vanish Transition Line. I know im spooling the line on the right way. Does that just come with dropshotting or are there ways to lessen the amount of line twist when dropshotting???

Dropshotting can cause definitely cause twist. I always use tungsten weights with swivels.

bsp
02-14-2009, 07:12 AM

That Vanish may be part of the problem too. I stopped using it because it would twist so much. Also, as Bass Engineer said, going with a dropshot weight that has a swivel clip will also help.

Nessie Hunter
02-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Ever crank up a rock fish FAST from 300 ft????
Total chaos of line twist, from everything spinning around from the fast crank.

Do that 30 times from 10 ft and you get - (lets see, 1+3 = 4 times mass of 1/2oz = total spin of 8 @ 9% = 300 ft) yes, a shiat load of spin on a drop shot rig...

Slow down that last 10 ft of retrieve.... Watch it come in and adjust retrieve to stop the spin....

Line needs to go out with no weight and reeled in to get the twist out. Easy on a boat, not so easy from shore...

Spool it on right, Never, ever crank when drag is being pulled.
Quality low Memory line, spool filled to proper level (1/4+ inch below lip).....

Spinning reels do it 10 times more often then baitcasting reels, just from the design of the bail...

Swivels??? Who still uses those??? Thats so 90's.... :ROFL:

BassFreak
02-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Swivels??? Who still uses those??? Thats so 90's.... :ROFL:

Man, that was still back when Cher was human.. :EyePop:

The Rookie
02-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Thank all you guys for the advice. I'll sort it out and try to avoid it in the future. the rookie:Smile:

Skyler
02-15-2009, 02:30 PM
I have a pretty good trick to remove the line twist once you've developed it. Find a big grass field (the grass is important, as it contacts the line in many spots). Run the line through one guide, and set the rod down. Then walk off the whole spool with the bail open. Leave the line laying, and walk back to the rod and pinch the line above the guide real tight with a wet rag. Then start reeling in slowly. All the twist will build up above the rag. As long as you tend to it to keep the knots from forming, you can reel it all back on, sans twist. Towards the end you will have a pretty gnarly twist factor, but once you reach the end of the line, it's all good. It also works using water instead of grass, but you'll need a boat or a float tube to do it properly. Good luck.