PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct lure teqnique- how to

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Here is a brief tutorial on the attack methods for the KPN Skinny shad lure.

I limit this topic to that lure as I do not fish any others there.

Most of this is really a no brainer but I’ll try to lay it out so it all makes sense.

1st off, in the colder months-fish slow, as slow as possible without dragging bottom-most fish you will find will be searching and finding their food sources in the deeper zones.
(Summer months the fish will possibly be up higher in the water column and mixed wherever they can find forage-deeper is the norm though)

There are a few attacks that have proven effective for me specifically, remember, there may be other methods that work, I’m just stating what works for me.

Basically a straight forward slow retrieve is most effective in the colder water, the fish don’t want to chase their prey too fast or for too far, their metabolism works slower in these winter cold-fronts so slow and steady is the word for the day.

There are a few methods of cast and retrieve patterns, I’ll cover 2 of my favorite!

1. Cast somewhat shallow to the other side of the duct. Maybe 3’-8’ from the shore at a 90 degree angle parallel to the duct (see example A) immediately start your retrieve but at a hyper slow rate, this allows you to be swimming the lure slowly while it’s falling, basically you’re working it downhill. Continue this slow retrieve and work it through the center depths (Note the strike zones indicated by the red x in the diagram), this is where you will most likely contact fish in the cold water, you may need to reel slightly faster to not drag the bottom and it’s imperative that you work it consciously through this bottom zone, too fast of retrieve will bring your lure to the mid water column, too slow will pick up the bottom algae.

2.Cast in the deeper zones, maybe about ¾ of the way across but where your lure will sink down in the deeper zones of the duct. Let it hit bottom, retrieve slowly and steadily, stop retrieving, let sink to the bottom, reel for several cranks, let sink to the bottom again (see example B), be very conscious of your lure on the sink and at the point when it hits bottom, very often this is when the striper will engulf the lure… in the colder water the strike isn’t always voracious, sometimes a subtle “bump” is all that is felt or just straight-out tension…..set the hook….hook-sets are free, use as many as you like.

Notes:
If you are not really in tune with the lines tension and the feel of the lure, you will miss the strike-do not procrastinate to set the hook….”drive on ‘em !”

Also, pay real close attention to the method you use, minute by minute, if you let your mind wonder too far when a strike comes you will not remember exactly what you were doing at that time when you made contact with the fish, the point is to not only make 1 catch, it’s to re-create what you did the last time and keep catching fish.

Last but not least, EXPERIMENT…use these tips as a guideline and work in and out of that box till you find a pattern that works for you.

I wish you all success and a great slay, I hope this aids you in slaying a big pig.

Good luck

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/kpnskinnyshadretrievalattack.jpg

Here is a pic from the KPN Skinny shad Pearl white:
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/1ozskinnypearlredhead.jpg
This isn't the greatest photo but here's a pic of the Skinny shad in Castaic Shad color.
I feel both colors work equally well.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/kpntrapduct1-17-09double-2closeu-1.jpg

I'll add now that patterns are changing day by day and the fish are getting a little more aggressive and most likely will be found in more upper regions of the depth collums so varying "faster" retrieves should be tried as water temps increase.
In other words, experiment...the fish are chasing the bait usually, follow the bait.

TRY THIS TO LEARN FROM:
At Night....shine a bright light into the water and search out bait, watch them, how they behave, where they linger, etc. this is a wonderfull learning tool and it's free..
Run the lure in those areas, try to mimic that movement, especially in moving water, the baitfish tend to "shoot the current" a slightly upstream cast at about 11 oclock with a slight bow in the line will acheive this "shooting the current" affect....

NOW therefore the key at that time is to retain proper contact with the lure, too much slack and you'll never detect the strike, to fast of retrieve will simply drag the lure straight accross, the idea is to get the lure to slightly sail through the current as the baitfish do.

These are a few methods and all of what I mention has produced fo me but I'm still learning myself, everytime out !, many many other methods are to be had thats why we experiment and pay close attention.
Gary

Gary,

I read all of your posts on the duct and I was wondering if you would clarify. You mention that the strike is very soft on your crankbait? How is that? I mean, does your rod not simply load up. How can you hit a crank softly? I mean, either they hit it or they don’t right? I wondered about this so I thought I would ask.

Light strikes happen in all sorts of varieties, many people probably don’t even know they got struck when they happen.

One has to be 100% in tune with the feel and tension of the lure when it pulls through the water, any deviations from that should be considered a strike and the hook-set.
(of course there is debris in the water that will fool you as well)

It isn’t always an obvious strike.

I’ll remind you that I have not been fishing the duct for years so I don’t want to come off like I know everything about the duct.

I simply state and share what works for me and in some degree of regularity.

Many times the fish strike in a much more aggressive attack that clearly is felt as a “strike”-no brainer there but there are many variable strikes that occur and in different water/weather conditions.

I’ll also remind you that most of my fish I catch at night as well, the strike pattern may very well be different than that of a fish feeding during daylight, I could not speculate until I fish more during daylight.

There are a number of strike patterns I’ve witnessed, I’m sure there are more than I personally have even experienced to date.

* The load up strike : this was happening b4 the weird funky weather/barometer fluxes happened. They would grab hold of the lure and Straight tension would occur and be felt.
When I began fishing there, I confused this with a snag until all of the sudden I
felt a “Thump…thump..Thump” It took a few times to adapt.
This strike is certainly notable, there is a whole lot of pressure when it occurs.

*The Crushing strike: I’ve only experienced a few times but the very 1st time I fished the duct, the water was moving solidly and I actually worked the lure
downstream, cross current, somewhat fast, the striper came up high on the
Transition, and was obviously chasing the bait down, he CRUSHED it !, hit it
like a freight train, instant bendo and drag pulling !
The weather was really hot then so I wouldn’t be surprised to see that pattern kick back into gear
as the weather has changed to steady hot patterns.
The fish striking the lure again is a no brainer on this one, you’ll know it when
it happens.

*The Batting strike: this was common when the water was still cold and would occur in between those hard barometer flux we were having.
There were short stages when the fish fed and this is how those strikes were (again at night)
I’d be retrieving slowly with my left index finger gently riding in front of the level wind on my Shimano baitcaster mounted on 7 ½’ crucial graphite rod, this method and gear combo allows you to feel those most subtle variables during a retrieve, a very very very slight “tick” would be all that was felt and an IMMEDIATE strike response was necessary to incorporate the hook set, there were a few fish that I’d hook up on the nose or in the eye, plus many were hooked on the tail hook as well which is far from the normal bite when the fish actually GRABS the lure.
All that is a clear indicator that the striper were attempting to “KNOCK OUT” the bait and eat it after. They seem to approach the lure and turn HARD on it to swat it, couldn’t say for a fact but that is my assessment, hence why you don’t feel the strike much and the lure isn’t solid in their mouth.

*The T-BONE strike: There were a few times when the fish were coming out of the batting pattern, they would T-BONE strike, basically chase it down in a real docile fashion and “T-BONE” the lure from the side, the telltale signs of this behavior are the instances when both sets of treble hooks are hooked into their mouth, most commonly belly hook on top upper lip and tail hook on lower jaw.
I saw a post from fellow FNN’r “SENG” from lake skinner that had a pic where the striper t-boned the lure…..same pattern (see Seng’s Skinner post “another KPN success story 5-7 http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=32967) you’ll see what I speak of.
The strike feels like a good solid "Thunk !"

*The Standard solid bumping strike: This is the more common bite I’ve experienced lately.
A solid bump or thump is felt during the retrieve, they seem to be getting a little more aggressive day by day so therefore the bumps get a little stronger.
It’s almost as if the striper is “grabbing hold of the lure” but not really engulfing it entirely, though he grabs it, a quick powerful hook set must be laid down to seal the deal, other wise you’ll come up short, good SOLID SHARP STRONG hooks should be used, I’ve had 1 fish bend a #2 owner stinger hook and that’s a real SOLID hook, walmart specials and lures of sorts are gonna leave you disappointed in the event of a big toad.

*The “ENGULFING” strike: it’s where the striper basically “EATS” the lure, no messing about, it’s just grabs it inside it’s mouth entirely and commits 100%, one instance I had with this type of strike happened and the fish was in the 15 lb class.
That fish broke off with my hand on his lip but I never got a chance to see how far up in it's mouth the lure was but it was nowhere in sight.
No brainer here, set the hook and hold on for the ride.

Well I think that about covers it (I hope) that should answer all your questions and give you more insight about why I say what I say on my posts, there are clearly many variable that go with the territory, if one waits for the strike to always be a solid crushing strike, one may potentially miss out on many other hookups.

It’s all about getting in tune with the lure while your’e running it, sensing everything going on and “focusing” all your attention to what the lure does at any given moment.

Hope this helps,
Gary

GdHkSet1
02-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the 411, sometimes when I visit my friend up at Phelan we hit the duct in the summer. Have yet to hook up on a striper there, maybe this year.

Captain Castaic
02-14-2009, 09:16 AM
You are soooo good to us...:LOL:

C,C,

lizzay
02-14-2009, 09:19 AM
:Thumbs Up: Thanks for the info Gary, you're such a good person to do that. So when are we gonna fish together?! haha thanks again.

trail blazer
02-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Good job bro
good info!!!!!

Lightning
02-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Good lookin' out! Thanks for the info.

tracker13
02-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Quality post as usual Bro!!! It's Guy's like you and a few others others that make this site so good. :Beer Toast:

BingJr
02-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Ill Say it AGAIN!

GARY
:Worship:

thepuma
02-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Great Job Gary! A very detailed and methodical approach. Very Nice.
:Applause:

TroutOnly
02-16-2009, 07:50 AM
Hey whats all the x's and lines all about,,,lol,,,

breeze71
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
How deep are you anchored?

CAPT'N
02-18-2009, 06:34 AM
How fast are you trolling? Running?

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-18-2009, 09:36 AM
How deep are you anchored?
after I launch my boat at Quail lake, I'll usually anchor up in about 2-5' while I set up my winch to pull the boat over the gates....I'll usually make 2-3 100 yard trolling passes before I settle down and anchor up in each duct run.....I like anchoring in the duct in about 14-18 inches of water, and I'm always being concious and carefull to note the Dan Hernandez "Duct anchoring tequniques"

How fast are you trolling? Running?

BUT...........
In my years of trolling experience, trolling has poven to be an ineffective method at the duct. but it spares you the walking

fishinone
02-18-2009, 04:49 PM
after I launch my boat at Quail lake, I'll usually anchor up in about 2-5' while I set up my winch to pull the boat over the gates....I'll usually make 2-3 100 yard trolling passes before I settle down and anchor up in each duct run.....I like anchoring in the duct in about 14-18 inches of water, and I'm always being concious and carefull to note the Dan Hernandez "Duct anchoring tequniques"

BUT...........
In my years of trolling experience, trolling has poven to be an ineffective method at the duct. but it spares you the walking

I found a spot to launch with a trailer!

troutdog
02-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Nice post Gary, thanks for the 411!

TD

Lechuga
02-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks Gary, i appreciate the info !:Beer Toast:

fishfinder
02-21-2009, 03:10 PM
thaks gary can't wait to get out and try. should be there now but, i have been doing yard work all day and i am beat.

StriperEye
03-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Thank you very much for the tips and info Gary. You didnt have to go through all the hard work and effort on your post to show us rookies how its done, but you did and that just shows us what a Class A fisherman you are! thanks for your time.

Nessie Hunter
03-27-2009, 08:47 AM
FYI......

Here are a couple of pics of the SHAPE of duct in Hesperia area (pretty common to all areas)... When it was drained. Only about a foot or less of water at the time..
2-2007 drained for repairs and clean up...
Shape is \_/ not V ..... Flat bottomed....
Depth here is about 15' when full pool....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/92345NessieHunter/Aqueduct%202-7-07/2-7-07008.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/92345NessieHunter/Aqueduct%202-7-07/2-7-07014.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/92345NessieHunter/Aqueduct%202-7-07/2-7-07016.jpg

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Good pics....
real good info...it's imperitive to have a mental image of what is happening underwater when fishing out there, this aids in the mental picture a whole lot..

I do beleive this is one of the more narrow areas from what I can tell but is definately is a great depiction on the layout, I think in most areas that flatter section may be a few feet wider though.

Good stuff..thank you.
Gary

Atlaua
03-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Wow, look at all that structure in the duct....

fishtacosmmm
03-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Cool info. thanks

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-17-2009, 03:27 PM
FYI......

Here are a couple of pics of the SHAPE of duct in Hesperia area (pretty common to all areas)... When it was drained. Only about a foot or less of water at the time..
2-2007 drained for repairs and clean up...
Shape is \_/ not V ..... Flat bottomed....
Depth here is about 15' when full pool....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/92345NessieHunter/Aqueduct%202-7-07/2-7-07008.jpg

OK people....do your homework....cause I AM ! (all the time)

the more ya know...the more U'll catch !

OK...in the top pic above....most will look and just see bends...which cause current deviations and so forth (great in itself)

but what I see in pic #1 above is:

A trough oportunity !

this run TOTTALLY allows easy access for your lure to run MAX distance within the strike zone without running up the transistion or "foot" (as I call it) of the duct.

(see attached)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/duct-casthere.jpg

Study up Guys and Gals...theres gonna be a quiz on this soon !

Ha ha ha,
Gary

fishfinder
04-17-2009, 07:55 PM
awesome tip gary never thought of it like that.....

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-06-2009, 02:26 PM
bringing this back up to the top for review

jim532
05-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Are there any secrtions of the aqueduct we should avoid or would be a waste of time? Or types of areas we should target? Examples: long straight sections, turns, pump houses, gates, sections before/after the aqueduct goes underground etc.

There are a TON of spots you can walk in some are off the beaten path where there are others with picnic tables.

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Are there any secrtions of the aqueduct we should avoid or would be a waste of time? Or types of areas we should target? Examples: long straight sections, turns, pump houses, gates, sections before/after the aqueduct goes underground etc.

There are a TON of spots you can walk in some are off the beaten path where there are others with picnic tables.

U just need to try different areas out, some areas don't produce fish but that doesnt mean you cant go there the next day or the next hr for that matter and contact fish...they are on the prowl..and on the move in search of forage, I've caught them near gates,siphon inlets, siphon outlets, bends and even long straightaways in places where you cannot see any sort of structure and doesn’t necessarily make sense, just keep casting…..b4 you know it something will dance with you !

I’ll remind you that I am no expert or an authority on the ductm (i've only been fishing it for a few months), I am sharing what works for me only and I’m sure many other approaches produce as well.

P.S.
I believe those picnic areas you mention are the “shade” spots and don’t quote me but I am guessing they are there for the duct staff, not that you couldn’t sit on them and take a rest.

To sum up, all of the areas you mention above could potentially produce fish, you just need to keep trying different areas and now, especially with warming water temps, try different retrieve speeds and depths..different times of day or night !

I don’t think any area could be a waste of time, I’ve fished certain zones/areas at least 6-10 times w/o a hookup but I still periodically go and try there….gotta keep running it up the flagpole so to speak….you’ll get ‘em
I hope this helps,
Gary

P.S.
I like the idea of "off the beaten path areas" they don't get as much fishing pressure

Anglerism
05-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the shared info. I will try the kpn skinny shad and hopefully this time, I will catch my first striper.

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Gary,

I read all of your posts on the duct and I was wondering if you would clarify. You mention that the strike is very soft on your crankbait? How is that? I mean, does your rod not simply load up. How can you hit a crank softly? I mean, either they hit it or they don’t right? I wondered about this so I thought I would ask.

Light strikes happen in all sorts of varieties, many people probably don’t even know they got struck when they happen.

One has to be 100% in tune with the feel and tension of the lure when it pulls through the water, any deviations from that should be considered a strike and the hook-set.
(of course there is debris in the water that will fool you as well)

It isn’t always an obvious strike.

I’ll remind you that I have not been fishing the duct for years so I don’t want to come off like I know everything about the duct.

I simply state and share what works for me and in some degree of regularity.

Many times the fish strike in a much more aggressive attack that clearly is felt as a “strike”-no brainer there but there are many variable strikes that occur and in different water/weather conditions.

I’ll also remind you that most of my fish I catch at night as well, the strike pattern may very well be different than that of a fish feeding during daylight, I could not speculate until I fish more during daylight.

There are a number of strike patterns I’ve witnessed, I’m sure there are more than I personally have even experienced to date.

* The load up strike : this was happening b4 the weird funky weather/barometer fluxes happened. They would grab hold of the lure and Straight tension would occur and be felt.
When I began fishing there, I confused this with a snag until all of the sudden I
felt a “Thump…thump..Thump” It took a few times to adapt.
This strike is certainly notable, there is a whole lot of pressure when it occurs.

*The Crushing strike: I’ve only experienced this once, the very 1st time I fished the duct, the water was moving solidly and I actually worked the lure
downstream, cross current, somewhat fast, the striper came up high on the
Transition, and was obviously chasing the bait down, he CRUSHED it !, hit it
like a freight train, instant bendo and drag pulling, unfortunately I lost that one
due to it shaking off and I haven’t experienced that pattern since, the weather was
really hot then so I wouldn’t be surprised to see that pattern kick back into gear
as the weather has changed to steady hot patterns.
The fish striking the lure again is a no brainer on this one, you’ll know it when
it happens.

*The Batting strike: this was common when the water was still cold and would occur in between those hard barometer flux we were having.
There were short stages when the fish fed and this is how those strikes were (again at night)
I’d be retrieving slowly with my left index finger gently riding in front of the level wind on my Shimano baitcaster mounted on 7 ½’ crucial graphite rod, this method and gear combo allows you to feel those most subtle variables during a retrieve, a very very very slight “tick” would be all that was felt and an IMMEDIATE strike response was necessary to incorporate the hook set, there were a few fish that I’d hook up on the nose or in the eye, plus many were hooked on the tail hook as well which is far from the normal bite when the fish actually GRABS the lure.
All that is a clear indicator that the striper were attempting to “KNOCK OUT” the bait and eat it after. They seem to approach the lure and turn HARD on it to swat it, couldn’t say for a fact but that is my assessment, hence why you don’t feel the strike much and the lure isn’t solid in their mouth.

*The T-BONE strike: There were a few times when the fish were coming out of the batting pattern, they would T-BONE strike, basically chase it down in a real docile fashion and “T-BONE” the lure from the side, the telltale signs of this behavior are the instances when both sets of treble hooks are hooked into their mouth, most commonly belly hook on top upper lip and tail hook on lower jaw.
I saw a post from fellow FNN’r “SENG” from lake skinner that had a pic where the striper t-boned the lure…..same pattern (see Seng’s Skinner post “another KPN success story 5-7 http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=32967) you’ll see what I speak of.

*The Standard solid bumping strike: This is the more common bite I’ve experienced lately.
A solid bump or thump is felt during the retrieve, they seem to be getting a little more aggressive day by day so therefore the bumps get a little stronger.
It’s almost as if the striper is “grabbing hold of the lure” but not really engulfing it entirely, though he grabs it, a quick powerful hook set must be laid down to seal the deal, other wise you’ll come up short, good SOLID SHARP STRONG hooks should be used, I’ve had 1 fish bend a #2 owner stinger hook and that’s a real SOLID hook, walmart specials and lures of sorts are gonna leave you disappointed in the event of a big toad.

*The “ENGULFING” strike: this has only happened to me once, it’s where the striper basically “EATS” the lure, no messing about, it’s just grabs it inside it’s mouth entirely and commits 100%, the one instance I had with this type of strike happened about a week ago and the fish was in the 15 lb class.
That fish broke off with my hand on his lip but I never got a chance to see how far up in it's mouth the lure was but it was nowhere in sight.
No brainer here, set the hook and hold on for the ride.

Well I think that about covers it (I hope) that should answer all your questions and give you more insight about why I say what I say on my posts, there are clearly many variable that go with the territory, if one waits for the strike to always be a solid crushing strike, one may potentially miss out on many other hookups.

It’s all about getting in tune with the lure while your’e running it, sensing everything going on and “focusing” all your attention to what the lure does at any given moment.

Hope this helps,
Gary

ezcompany
05-17-2009, 11:59 PM
thank you for the awesome tips gletemfeelsteelgary.
a friend and I tried the duct for the first times and didn't get any hits on the lures. we did get two huge hits on the soaked anchovy, got my heart pumpin!!!
still trying out different things but would love to give it another go.

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-19-2009, 11:29 AM
thank you for the awesome tips gletemfeelsteelgary.
a friend and I tried the duct for the first times and didn't get any hits on the lures. we did get two huge hits on the soaked anchovy, got my heart pumpin!!!
still trying out different things but would love to give it another go.

keep at it, with the duct...persistence pays off !
Good luck !
Gary

brando123
05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Hey thanks for this post lots of help! Is this bakersfield?

peanut88
05-28-2009, 10:56 AM
gletemfeelsteelgary

Thank you for the tutorial. Very insightful indeed. I remember trying the duct over 20+ years ago w/ no luck. Stayed w/ SW & FW instead.

Hope to try your techniques when in the area.

Cheers

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-10-2009, 02:42 PM
bringing this up to the top so more anglers can read it....

kpn
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Thank you!!!!!

Kpn.

AAKK
12-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Gary
Even though i don't get an idea of your diagram but anyway.THANK YOU SO MUCH.

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-10-2009, 05:34 PM
IF YOU READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY AND LOOK AT THE DIAGRAM, WHEN YOU GET OUT TO THE DUCT, IT WILL ALL MAKE SENSE.

The diagram is the contour of the bottom structure of the duct, you need to simply go to the duct it should all be very clear at that point, that diagram comes from a perspective that if you were standing in the middle of the duct(on the bottom), that would be the bottom contours...

I thought it was pretty clear though, I guess you've never been to the duct I'm assuming.

mudskipper76
12-11-2009, 12:26 PM
man! this is what this forum should be about! thank you gary!

M@M
12-11-2009, 03:14 PM
A lot of great info. THANK-YOU!! Maybe someday I will be able to catch some stripers
down here in Hesperia. I appreciate you sharing! HAPPY HOLIDAYS & A GREAT FISHING
NEW YEAR!!!!!! Mike

NooB SaBass
12-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Awsome 411, and M@M see ya there man...

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-14-2009, 10:39 AM
you are all very welcome, I hope it helps, in fact, I know it will if you study it closely and live it....

One note: this method is for dead water and slow moving current, not for when the water is rushing.

it's actually perfect timing though cause flows are slowing greatly day by day and soon I'd guess the flow will stop entirely, thats when you'll see this methods sting 'em good !

Go gt ya some boys....good luck !

And stay on 'em.....don't let up !

femestar
12-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Very thourough and I dont know how to thank you but if you were a woman i'd give you the best 2 minutes of your life!:Secret::ROFL:

cutbait
12-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Don't listen to this BS. This Feelthe steel guy is a Newb!

Seriously, I fished side by side with him and dude can flat out fish.

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-15-2009, 09:23 AM

(Spoken in the melody of the beatles song let it be):

“Let ‘em Bleed….Let ‘em Bleee’d

Let ‘em Bleed Yeah….

Let ‘em Bleed

Cast a KPN and they will answer !

Let ‘em Bleeeeed ! Eeeeeeed !

Kilo818
05-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Hey Gary tried out everything you said went out saturday night got my first duct dd stiper 27 pounds my biggest ever thanks for all the info see you out there soon.

Kilo818
05-09-2010, 07:18 PM

wow haters are all over this site huh? lol

cutbait
05-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Hey Gary tried out everything you said went out saturday night got my first duct dd stiper 27 pounds my biggest ever thanks for all the info see you out there soon.

Dayum homie, nice fish. Wheres the pics? I get worked up just thinkn bout it

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-10-2010, 09:42 AM
dayum....really sweet, nothing pleases me more than to see someone pay attention and roll out a huge toad.

I too would love to see the pic.

Congrats on your catch : )
Gary

NooB SaBass
05-10-2010, 01:27 PM

WOW that's a beast man yea post up some pixs!

fishincrave
05-11-2010, 09:17 AM
WOW OVER 4700 VIEWS nice going Gary very informative wrightup im sure lot's of people will learn from this including me .
Thanks Bro:Smile:.
Sean

Beeracuda211
05-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey whats all the x's and lines all about,,,lol,,,

You need to make a video for the old man, He forgot how to read lol

hologramSAM
05-12-2010, 05:10 PM
this is great information.Just need to find an aquaduct now haha.will this work in lakes also?

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Send me the pic on my e-mail I sent you via PM and I'll size it for you so you can post it...we'd all love ta see the pig !

nelayan
06-21-2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the info Gary! I'll do my homework and will break the 2 year 'striper curse' this week. Wish me luck...

Lipripper93561
06-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Nice post, and great talent on the "drawrings". Looks like you covered most of the techniques for fishing the different water columns, and lures. Can't go wrong with the KPN, 9 out of 10 I caught are on the deep drop slow role technique. After a very clear day at the duct, I found out why this works. Schooling stripers at about 10-15 count, cruise right off the bottom of the duct sucking up prey as they go, doing thier best to pin the baitfish against a gate, syphon, or just the bank of the duck. Just imitating what is naturaling happening in the duct, and it's fish on....maybe not everytime.......and thats coming from the guy who still has the Striperfest, smallest striper trophy...speaking of....Whats the plan of the Striper Fest this year? Seems like the topwater action hasn't quite started at Castaic yet, maybe late July early August/

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Nice post, and great talent on the "drawrings". Looks like you covered most of the techniques for fishing the different water columns, and lures. Can't go wrong with the KPN, 9 out of 10 I caught are on the deep drop slow role technique. After a very clear day at the duct, I found out why this works. Schooling stripers at about 10-15 count, cruise right off the bottom of the duct sucking up prey as they go, doing thier best to pin the baitfish against a gate, syphon, or just the bank of the duck. Just imitating what is naturaling happening in the duct, and it's fish on....maybe not everytime.......and thats coming from the guy who still has the Striperfest, smallest striper trophy...speaking of....Whats the plan of the Striper Fest this year? Seems like the topwater action hasn't quite started at Castaic yet, maybe late July early August/
Thanks and your welcome to all who have read and applied these methods, I’ve monitored things pretty closely regarding this instructional post and I’d say that your’e one of few that have really taken the time to digest what I’ve noted above, “tip o’ the hat to ya” for your success“ Glad to see things come together for you : )

These methods are “bread and butter” and they work but one must really “wrap their head around them “

I’d love to hear from more people about their success (or lack of success for that matter)

Hopefully this “revival” of this post will bring more people to the 1st duct striper and many thereafter..

One things that’s amusing is this post just made tip of the month yet it’s been out there for quite a while now, I guess better late than ever, it sure has put more stripers on deck than I could ever count for me : ) woo-hoo !

I’m still waiting for the gentleman to post his 27lbder he caught using this method, I’d still love ta see that pig !

Glad I could help, I know this instructional can get a little long winded but there is a plethera of knowledge there for the taking for the angler that takes the time to absorb what is there !

As for Striper fest, gonna have to wait for a steady bite out there at Castaic for that, I would always hope for a solid bite pattern so EVERYONE can enjoy a good days fishing regardless of skill levels.

Normally I’d predict solid boils about September but I am seeing things a bit different regarding what is going on with the lake right now currently, we just may see boils start any time in some regularity but there’s no telling for sure till it starts happening regularly.

I see potential with the intel at hand now but we’ll have to wait and see, I don’t want to pull the trigger too soon, I’d rather see a stable bite pattern when we slate this event, that’s what makes it a great event, the bite, the lake, the people, the fun…

One thing for sure is that with the info at hand and what I’m seeing, the bait bite will start to fizzle more and more as these days pass, by end of month, I’d be shocked to see any type of bait bite….

But that’s a good thing cause shad come into the equation after that and you know what happens with mass shad ball around and stripey not far behind them….

Ohhhhh yeah !

Anyway, congrats to those who used these tips above and good luck to those who may try them….

Salute !

Gary

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-10-2010, 09:45 AM
posting so this goes to the top for others to read.......

Good luck guys..

Gary

nik809
08-11-2010, 09:40 AM
which duct do you go to bro

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-11-2010, 01:24 PM
which duct do you go to bro
I fish AV & Bako, ready to span out to the hesperia area sometime soon though.

NOTE: this aqueduct lure post was designed with AV in mind but these methods can catch fish in any of the ducts...

Slight alterations in methods sometimes apply and by all means I have not noted ALL my methods but again, this is the "Bread and Butter" methods..

if one fully envelopes their mind around the concepts of what I've laid down and they fish it hard...the odds are really good that they will contact fish...

Get on the water...thats really the best advice..

I can vividly remember my 1st trip out there and I can recall how it was just a little bit intimidating being that is was a new enviroment !
I'll add that don't let things overwhelm your mind....

Just get out and try it...the more you go there the more you'll become one with the duct...

Don't expect to get fish everytime out....but keep an open mind and pay attention to what works and what may not...

Before you know it you'll be laying them out in a regular fashion..

Gary

msos
10-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Thank you Gary, you are the best. No one in FNN ever gave us a lecture like this, they normally keep it to themself.

CRESTLINER16
10-31-2010, 12:08 AM
fantastic stuff gary!! Really appreciate you sharing.

tree
12-23-2010, 10:21 AM
I have a pretty important question, I don't know whether it's been answered earlier, but are the aqueducts accessible from shore? Also, being a student driving down I-5, how viable would it be to pull over on the road and fish the duct as I travel the longgg road south?

Also, as a complete duct noob, WHERE is the Bako duct and the AV duct? I just see one long duct that runs parallel to I-5

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I have a pretty important question, I don't know whether it's been answered earlier, but are the aqueducts accessible from shore? Also, being a student driving down I-5, how viable would it be to pull over on the road and fish the duct as I travel the longgg road south?

Also, as a complete noob, what is the Bako duct and the AV duct? I just see one long duct that runs parallel to I-5
ONLY accessable from shore…no boats : )

Pull over and fish where you can….more spots the better to find the fish….

If ur traveling from way up north coming out south…plan some extra time, those up northern regions can hold some serious hawgs…..

I’d suggest lures for quick spot hops rather than baiting down but whatever suits you…just get there and fish it….

Nail a good one and let us know how it went.

Good luck,
Gary

P.S.

Bako and AV references are simply the valley's or regions of the duct people are referring to....bako (bakersfield) AV (antelope valley)

The 5 fry runs alond the bako duct regions on up through fresno...and further north

Hwy 138 for AV

tree
12-23-2010, 10:29 AM
wow thanks for the quick reply. So the ENTIRE length of the duct is fishable? I wont get crap from the police for pulling over right next to the duct and tossin some lures? Gotta go pick up rattletrap and try your slow rolling stuff.

I will def. be planning some extra time and fishing the whole way down :D

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-23-2010, 10:38 AM
wow thanks for the quick reply. So the ENTIRE length of the duct is fishable? I wont get crap from the police for pulling over right next to the duct and tossin some lures? Gotta go pick up rattletrap and try your slow rolling stuff.

there are specific zones off limits but those will be posted (most zones will be fishable for the better part)....just don't pull the car off to the side of the freeway as thats illegal...U regular exits etc.....find accasability to the duct...I have not been way way north yet but aI do know there a few regions where you can drive right up near the duct but most zones where I fish, I need to park and walk..usaly a minute or two but that depends on the spot

tree
12-23-2010, 10:42 AM
I found Striper Bill's website, and also happened to find Team 57 and Wingnut, along with Trailblazer's photos on that site :D

http://www.aqueductfishing.zoomshare.com/2.html

The page I linked has a bunch of access points. I'll try and hit up at least 2-3 of them on the way down :D

edit: oh hey gary's photo is up there too!

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Replying to thread to bring back to top....

sandtrout
04-04-2012, 07:39 PM
And let's not forget...we have to eat them!!!

http://bbqpitboys.com/seafood_fish_recipes.html

Saw this when I was looking up striper recipes.

Salc28
04-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Can you fish with lures in any part or the kern aqueduct ?

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-10-2012, 12:12 PM
And let's not forget...we have to eat them!!!

http://bbqpitboys.com/seafood_fish_recipes.html

Saw this when I was looking up striper recipes.

Here's da BOMB recipe....gotta try if you haven't already..

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?28101-Gary-s-Beer-Battered-Striped-Bass&highlight=beer+battered+striper

HURL CHUM!
04-12-2012, 05:57 PM
im with you on that one M@M. i still fish the duct in the pinon hills /phelan/hesperia and i always have a pole soaking well i walk the shore for striper. i can do fine with catfish but i an hungry for a striper!
A lot of great info. THANK-YOU!! Maybe someday I will be able to catch some stripers
down here in Hesperia. I appreciate you sharing! HAPPY HOLIDAYS & A GREAT FISHING
NEW YEAR!!!!!! Mike

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-20-2012, 03:39 PM

Just noticed this...tought I'd ask how you did on your ride from up north way back when...

Enquiring minds want to know : )

ZipperWurm
05-13-2012, 12:09 AM
This is all really great info and very detailed. I have read this post a number of times to try and burn it into my memory so i can finally start smashing some duct stripers. unfortunately, i have not yet been lucky enough to capture one of these elusive fish. i have the right lures, the right gear, but i think for some reason i am still lacking in my technique, and i think that has been my downfall :Bawling:

do you have any advice for swifter running current? it seems like 90% of my duct outings i tend to find the gates either WFO or 3/4, making the techniques of slowly working the lure through the deeper water columns quite difficult. i guess im still a bit confused on how to actually work a KPN/lipless crank through fast moving current. casting downstream seems to bring a lot of pressure/bend through the rod the faster you reel the lure, and the lure itself vibrates so fast that you can actually hear it rattling beneath the water, not sure if thats good or bad for attracting the fish? casting upstream seems almost impossible to keep up with the lure, even with my 7.1:1 revo, and casting straight across just seems to bring the lure through "dead" water once it leaves the edge of the bank.

i grew up fishing for lmb in lakes where there really isnt any noticeable current to deal with, and stream fishing for trout where there is lots of current, but making short casts in small pools and current breaks is still quite different from the duct, lol. any advice on casting techniques and lure retrieve speeds for the faster moving water would be greatly appreciated :Beer Toast:

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-15-2012, 04:13 PM
This is all really great info and very detailed. I have read this post a number of times to try and burn it into my memory so i can finally start smashing some duct stripers. unfortunately, i have not yet been lucky enough to capture one of these elusive fish. i have the right lures, the right gear, but i think for some reason i am still lacking in my technique, and i think that has been my downfall :Bawling:

do you have any advice for swifter running current? it seems like 90% of my duct outings i tend to find the gates either WFO or 3/4, making the techniques of slowly working the lure through the deeper water columns quite difficult. i guess im still a bit confused on how to actually work a KPN/lipless crank through fast moving current. casting downstream seems to bring a lot of pressure/bend through the rod the faster you reel the lure, and the lure itself vibrates so fast that you can actually hear it rattling beneath the water, not sure if thats good or bad for attracting the fish? casting upstream seems almost impossible to keep up with the lure, even with my 7.1:1 revo, and casting straight across just seems to bring the lure through "dead" water once it leaves the edge of the bank.

i grew up fishing for lmb in lakes where there really isnt any noticeable current to deal with, and stream fishing for trout where there is lots of current, but making short casts in small pools and current breaks is still quite different from the duct, lol. any advice on casting techniques and lure retrieve speeds for the faster moving water would be greatly appreciated :Beer Toast:

I’d suggest experimentation…envelope your mind as to what the lure does at different rates of retrieve…different angles of retrieval…

I supplied the bread n’ butter within’ you may need to now supply the meat n’ potatoes

By that I mean serious experimentation, that’s what I’ve done as conditions changed but that’s through some serious hard work, dedication and many hours pefecting my personal attack..

Getting in tune with the lure is they key…blind retrieval not knowing the depth the lure is running at all times is not the way to roll….but you will only get to that level by experimentation….even if I told you exactly what to do it’s easier said than done….it more or less come with applied knowledge of ur attack

I’ve called out the zones in my instructional where fish will most likely be contacted….hammer it in different mannerisms till you contact the fish in those zones…odds are your lure is not retaining the “strike zone”.

In all honesty I’m currently writing a book on LMB and striper fishing, I’ll most likely cover those intricacies when that comes to publish…

It’s not rocket science though, common sense through experimentation is key…if you want to keep the lure deep…you must vary retrieval speed and cast arcs and retrieval arcs….maybe switch to a different lure that will attain depth easier if your not able to master the lure your currently using….

That’s about the best advice I could give at this time

Good luck,
Gary

Salc28
05-16-2012, 06:34 PM
What's the best line that I should use in my Abu Garcia Revo sx reel . Since I just started using it this year , currently I use pro 30# braided line it's that good ? I use it because I hate loosing my lures when ever I get snagged in the water .

cutbait
05-16-2012, 08:26 PM
What's the best line that I should use in my Abu Garcia Revo sx reel . Since I just started using it this year , currently I use pro 30# braided line it's that good ? I use it because I hate loosing my lures when ever I get snagged in the water .

30 braid is fine as long as it isn't spiderwire (personal preference), but unless its wide open its gonna cost you strikes in daylight.... Experience I have

Salc28
05-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Should I use another type of line instead of the braid cause I gotten 3 small stripers about 5:00 pm a few times already ! All I want to do is learn more and to get better at it . And Ty for any and all info that is giving to me and others .

trail blazer
09-18-2012, 06:24 PM
15lb cxx p line,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Should I use another type of line instead of the braid cause I gotten 3 small stripers about 5:00 pm a few times already ! All I want to do is learn more and to get better at it . And Ty for any and all info that is giving to me and others .

U can also use a “topshot” of mono, copolymer or Flouro, I personally use seaguar Flouro when I step away from braid, Seaguar is pricey though….U can also try Vanish which is much cheaper..
(14 lb good with that brand-15 with seaguar)

If U go with a topshot I’d suggest using about 30’ but U can experiment with different length topshots and see how U feel…

Using a topshot will allow U to not have to change out the whole spool..

Basically I haven’t had a big issue with the braid visibility during the day other than when the water is gin clear or the sun is straight up and high in the sky..

Again something U’ll have to experiment with and go with your personal feel about ur success..

I’d suggest a “Double Uni” knot to attach the other line to braid, knots such as the “blood knot” will cut the mono (or other lines) as the knots tie “TO” each other rather than “AROUND” each other…

The double UNI will seem tricky at 1st but trust me, after tying it a few times and perfecting it, it’s rather easy…

Hope this helps…

Good luck..

P.S.
The fact that U caught smaller fish is most likely just due to what grade fish were around…I went a couple weeks ago and while using 50lb braid landed 11 total..

4 legals, 4 just sub legal and the rest 15 inchers…

Your call….try it, everything U learn can only help and it’s always good to know ur options..

Gary

zack stroud
09-19-2012, 12:37 PM
so how many arms and legs would it cost for an aqua duct guide trip from the master...just currious =D

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-20-2012, 03:15 PM
so how many arms and legs would it cost for an aqua duct guide trip from the master...just currious =D

Not sure who ur referring or who this is meant for…

as I am no master…I do what I do and hope for the best, I’ve had more than my fair share of skunks as well…trust me..

I’ve also had a fair degree of success as well but that’s from some hard trials and tribulations…many trips experimenting…paying close attention to what worked and what didn’t…always trying to fill in the blanks as to why….some work out….some do not.

Time on the water equals fish…no matter what water…given the duct can be more challenging than other waters..

I sort of stopped taking people out to the duct as I’ve ushered more than a few people around in my day but it always seems to backfire in some sort of manner where I end up paying a price for helping so unfortunately I do not do it any longer…

I’m real sorry, I really wish I could do more but I end up burning my own bridge in the end..

I can supply advice and so on…That’s what I continue to try to do….that’s about the best I could offer up at this time…it’s not about any money..if I could help and in the end not burn my own bridges…I’d take you there for free…I do try to help the next fellow angler

I hope this reads right and you understand..

If you have some specific questions, feel free to post them up and I’l see if I can shed any light…

Good luck out there,
Gary

fishermanx14
01-14-2013, 03:00 PM

when this happens should you set the hook right away? or let them take the "knocked out" bait????

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-14-2013, 03:42 PM
when this happens should you set the hook right away? or let them take the "knocked out" bait????

To answer your question here AND ur question of topwater on the PM..

SET THE HOOK…..fast…instantly NEVER procrastinate….he who hesitates is LOST if you wait to think…it’s too late

HARD AND FAST with conviction…

As I’ve mentioned earlier a few times..ANYthing that deviates from the feel of the lure should be thought of as a strike…that’s why it’s very important to be in tune with how the lure feels normally…

ESPECIALLY in this colder water the stripers metabolism really slows down due to water temps….therefore the strikes become more docile..

NOTE: every single winter strike will not be a “batting strike” the fish go through funk from time to time and this is typically when that occurs…

AS for your Colorado river willow beach topwater strike….if you set the hook and came up nill it most likely wasn’t that you did anything wrong…it’s probably cause the striper “swatted” at it or “swirled” on it as we call it….set the hook if you feel deviation…..keep working the lure through the strike if the fish is not felt…

The important thing to know is: DO NOT stop 90% of the time the striper will lost interest if you stop…it’s sort of the cat playing with the mouse syndrome….if the mouse stops moving the cat loses interest……practice that thought process when fishing ur topwaters and ul see it to be true..

Anyways….good luck…hope this helps : )

Gary

P.S.
If you were fishing topwater in the Colorado…it’s hard to say 100% cause I was not there but it doesn’t sound like a “Batting” strike….more just a swirl that the fish missed his target

michaelk
05-21-2013, 05:38 PM
I just joined FNN and I joined because I have just moved to Hesperia Ca and am in walking distance to the duct. I want to thank you for your time, talent and tutoring. I don't have the right gear to land a toad but I do have light trout gear and can land small to medium fish. I don't want to wait for months to get fishing.

So any advice (except don't do it) would be appreciated. Also I am near where the Interstate 15 crosses the duct. From what I read these fish behave like a saltwater fish, swimming up and down the duct foraging for prey. So you never know where your gonna find them. That said is there parts that are legal and close to me that are better than others?

Also what would be a good entry level rod and reel to start saving for? Heck I just wanna go fishin!!!

Thanks brother!!!

Michael-k