PDA

View Full Version : Hook for striped bass

bigblue
02-13-2009, 03:54 PM
What size hooks are used to catch striped bass? Going to castaic lake wanting to catch one of those bad boys, i have never fished for striped bass. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Skyler
02-13-2009, 05:20 PM
What size hooks are used to catch striped bass? Going to castaic lake wanting to catch one of those bad boys, i have never fished for striped bass. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

When dropshooting, I use #2 owner mosquitos. For anchovies and liver on a dropper loop I use 1/0 gamakatsu octopus hooks, and when fishing nightcrawlers on a splitshot or carolina rig, I use a #4 eagle claw offset shank baitholder.

bigblue
02-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Thx for the tips. Im gonna be fishing from shore w frozen anchovies so how would keep that bait from the bottom since you cant make it float. Once again thx all tips are appreciated

bigblue
02-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Never mind i just learned the dropper loop knot skyler was talking about, on u tube. What test # line is recommended for striper bass?

Skyler
02-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Never mind i just learned the dropper loop knot skyler was talking about, on u tube. What test # line is recommended for striper bass?

Most of the fight the fish will probably be running toward shore anyways. Stripers give most of their fight at the end. 6-10 pound should do you fine. Sometimes I use 4 pound for flylining nightcrawlers too. Just keep your drag a bit looser than you normally would, cause once you get 'em close to the boat or shore, they will usually make one hell of a run.