PDA

View Full Version : lake irvine fish report for 2-12

ffunluving
02-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Fortunately good weather and timing combined to allow me the opportunity to spend a Thursday at the Vine. Arrived at 5:13 and was shocked to see only 4 cars ahead of me…I’ve never been that close to the gate before. Made the 5:30 visit to the bait shop and get the scoop on strategy and conditions from Mittz. Seems it’s been a little slow, especially at trout Island which is my planned destination.

Since I’m so close to the gate, I’m thinking I’ll set up on the point. Hahaha….I forgot about the campers already inside. Drove to Trout Island and there’s already about 7 guys there. Fortunately, my spot to the right of the point is open and I set up…one garlic pb and a green power worm with white power egg head.

Got my first trout about 6:30 on the garlic. The second chooses power worm and sends my bobber flying about 7:10. These were both steelhead wannabe rainbows over 2lbs that did acrobatic leaps out of the water and fought like their lives depended on it…well I guess they did. I have to say this, this year’s trout seem to fight much harder than trout from previous years.

I think the fisherman next to me (I’m assuming It’s male) agrees with me cause he only stayed at that spot a few minutes and flew inland for an easier meal.

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/ffunluving/002-1.jpg

The sun is shining and it seems like ideal fishing conditions, but mostly the bite slows down after the first hour. Myself and the two guys to the immediate left of the point are the fortunate ones to get most of the action. I get one the next one about 9:30, another at 10:00 (both on power worm) and then the bite pretty much shuts down. My last trout waits until 1:10 to dine on power worm and after about three rounds of jumping, stripping line, seeing the shore and racing back towards the middle…I’m finally able to claim my limit and begin that long drive home. I tried to be a little more creative with the pix of my fishees…so instead of the lineup at the cleaning station I laid them out at the site of their demise.

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/ffunluving/013.jpg

For those of you lucky fishermen and women participating in the holiday tournament, here’s s an update on conditions. The water is clarity isn’t that bad for so much rain. More murky than muddy. Definitely wear boots over tennis shoes, especially if it rains on Friday as the banks are still muddy and slippery. I got no love on the night crawler and the chart and garlic pb didn’t entice many bites. Mostly this year has been about the power worm.

Now my fishing credo has always been big bait for big fish and I’ve resisted using the pm. I even asked Mitts about it (and if there is ever a Lake Irvine Hall of Fame, I think Mitts deserves to be one of the first inductees) and he said he doesn’t use them much either though some of the other lake regulars swear by them. Yet, I’ve seen so many trout caught on the ole pm, I finally had to try.

Wow, these things are great. For those of you who have yet to give them a try, I suggest it. Here’s a pix of the set up that enticed four nice trout to bite today. I know the hook is tiny, but I haven’t had a trout get unhooked yet. The one negative as opposed to the treble hook is you have to be attentive as trout seem to mouth or play with it a little like catfish do. It helps if you leave your bail open and let the trout run with it.

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/ffunluving/009-1.jpg

Best of luck for the tournament and please leave at least one of those steelies for me as I love the sound of line screaming off the reel.

GET DA NET
02-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Great report.. Hopefully the bite will continue on saturday for the tourney.....
Does anyone know when the steelies were stocked?

chivo
02-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Nice pics and great report. One another note i heard the gills are starting to bite again.

BULLDOG
02-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up on what the fish are chewin.

FISH_HUNTER
02-13-2009, 01:30 PM
GREAT DETAILED REPORT! THANKS FOR SHARING!:Beer Toast:

Rooster
02-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Congrats on the limit. Looks like some fighters to me. Great pics & report :Thumbs Up:

Mondo21
02-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Luving(get it,Luving):ROFL: your report. Very vivid details.Thanks for the pics. Cindy:Big Smile::Big Smile:

bigblue
02-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Might sound stupid but whats pm?

G420
02-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Might sound stupid but whats pm?
i think power mouse

Eat Sleep Fish
02-13-2009, 07:01 PM
nice fatty fish. good report.

boojoo
02-13-2009, 08:54 PM
very nice limit you have there. Way to go!! Thanks for the pics and report.

BOOJOO

Troutman65
02-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Congrats on your limit. Great Detailed report !!! Thanks for the post.:Cool:

troutdog
02-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Excellent report, seems like Vine reports are become less and less frequent these days. Thanks for sharing the info and congrats on the limit.

TD

Hitts0n
02-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Great report!