PDA

View Full Version : '09 Spring Opener Crowd Question

fishing_addict
02-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Thinking about heading up for the opener or the weekend following and would like to know how crowded the campgrounds get between Bishop and the Loop. I usually fish Twin Lakes (Bridgeport) in the fall and have my choice of sites but want to try something a little closer to home this year. Any suggestions on campgrounds would be much appreciated as well. Looking for an area that would suite a couple of fishermen and not so much families with kids. Thanks in advance!

Sierra_Smitty
02-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Thinking about heading up for the opener or the weekend following and would like to know how crowded the campgrounds get between Bishop and the Loop. I usually fish Twin Lakes (Bridgeport) in the fall and have my choice of sites but want to try something a little closer to home this year. Any suggestions on campgrounds would be much appreciated as well. Looking for an area that would suite a couple of fishermen and not so much families with kids. Thanks in advance!

Go the weekend after the opener and you'll pretty much have you pick as to where you want to camp. There are lots of campgrounds in the Bishop Creek Canyon and we get a lot less traffic than Convict, Mammoth or June - of course, that early in the season there really isn't much crowding anywhere aside from Crowley.

Because school is still in session - I wouldn't worry so much about there being a lot of families with kids around. It's mostly the hard cores and the retired folks that visit early and late in the season.

Go to the USFS Inyo National Forest website - lots of info there.

Joshua
02-14-2009, 08:26 AM
The opener is always a little crowded. but there is always a place to fish. If you prefer to fish alone , then wait a week (like Smitty said). The crappy economy and high fuel prices will keep alot of people at home, but not me.
You mentioned that you are looking for a spot for a couple fisherman, not family. Not too many women or kids out for the opener. Weather is usually chilly. I am one of the few fools, that will bring out younger people. No little guys, just not of driving age

Bishop:
Big Pines and Four Jeffrys is always open for the opener> They may open on the Friday before, but they are always open (the last 7 years at least)
I camp at Four Jeffry. You can fish 20 feet from camp on Bishop South Fork
The CG at Intake II is open for the opener.
Pleasant Valley Reservoir CG is open

Mammoth area CGs dont open unil Memorial Day (weather Permitting)
JUne Loop thaws out sooner, so you may be able to find open CGs.

I would image the lower elevation CGs on Rock Creek are open. I know for sure that Tuft CG on lower Rock Creek is open (it is on the east side of 395)

There is McGee CGs, near Crowley that will be open But they are near Crowley and sure to be filled for the opener.

Parts Further South:

Big Pine should have CGs open
Lone Pine and Tuttle Creek CGs are open

Do a google search for Mono County campground. Then pick up the phone and call the Ranger Station. the websites are usually not updated

Joshua
02-14-2009, 08:34 AM
What type of fishing do you do, Bait and wait, creek, fly, tube?

We are getting some serious late storms. I am sure the Sierras are getting dumped on. Good for the water supply. With too much snow, the creeks are snowed in, so the lakes are the only option for the opener. If that is the case. Intake II or Convict Lake. Crowley produces bigger fish on average, but I have never fished, You need a boat (IMO)
They are always worried it June Loop with thaw for the opener. They will get it open, too much money would be lost if they cant.

I can refer you to some spots and you wont want to make the drive to Bridgeport anymore. I recently took a friend that had only fished June Loop and Bridgeport on a trip to Bishop. He said the extra drive time isnt worth it!!! I have never fish Bridgeport, so I cant comment.