PDA

View Full Version : Inboard or Outboard?

Headhunter
06-11-2007, 08:50 PM
I know absolutely nothing about boats except that it's better to be IN one when you are out on a lake.

So, a client of mine who is getting into fishing asks me which is better, an inboard or outboard. This boat will be primarily for fishing, with perhaps a little tubing/wakeboarding tossed in when the bite slows down. BUT, fishing will be the priority.

So, what say you, boat freaks? In or Out? (no belly-button jokes, pleeez).

fishrookie
06-11-2007, 10:49 PM
me personally i think a out would be better

Headhunter
06-12-2007, 06:04 AM
Ok, why?

fishrookie
06-12-2007, 06:16 AM
well, in my opinion i think they would have more room for fishing with the outboard rather then a inboard plus i think if you get a v bottom bass boat with a high horsepower engine they should have no problem doing the tubing or wakeboard, and fish comfortably after words . now i could be wrong but we have done it with my dads bass boat. how many people will be on this boat, and besides that what will his wife be happy with :D

DA_Beaut
06-13-2007, 01:35 AM
Both are good and can be used for all your activities but it depends on the way the boat is setup. I owned a Outboard on a 17 Center Console and it was a great setup. Now I have a Striper Cuddy Cabin with an I/O and like it. I try to stay away from Outboards now because of the replacement cost and can do my own work on I/0's. Its basically a car engine with special marine electrical equipment (starters, alternators, etc).

fishfinder
06-13-2007, 05:24 AM
okay i will give you the lowdown.
i just bought a crestliner 2 months ago and i bought an i/o.
i wanted a boat that wouldn't have restrictions like the 2 stroke and a 4 stroke was 2 much money. but for trolling the i/o loads up and you have to run it out once in awhile. and it trolls fast. parts are a lot cheaper though, and maintence is easier and cheaper. also if you plan on going to 8500' like lake convict a carb. engine runs slow and rough.
very happy with my boat but if you got the dough. get the o/b 4 stroke.

DA_Beaut
06-13-2007, 12:42 PM
i wanted a boat that wouldn't have restrictions like the 2 stroke and a 4 stroke was 2 much money. but for trolling the i/o loads up and you have to run it out once in awhile. and it trolls fast. parts are a lot cheaper though, and maintence is easier and cheaper. also if you plan on going to 8500' like lake convict a carb. engine runs slow and rough.

I/O shouldnt load up. You might want to check your carb. AN I/O motor should run just like a car engine (between 600-800 rpm on idle) and will go all day without problems. As far as elevation, you need to go down one main jet size for every 2000 feet of elevation you go up (depends on the exact carb). Be it an I/O or an Outboard, if it has a carb, your gonna have to tune it when you play in the mountains.

Go Fuel Injection on whatever you buy.

sansou
06-13-2007, 02:19 PM

I/O shouldnt load up. You might want to check your carb. AN I/O motor should run just like a car engine (between 600-800 rpm on idle) and will go all day without problems. As far as elevation, you need to go down one main jet size for every 2000 feet of elevation you go up (depends on the exact carb). Be it an I/O or an Outboard, if it has a carb, your gonna have to tune it when you play in the mountains.

Go Fuel Injection on whatever you buy.

I agree with you guys and add the following from personal experience:

When boating the high altitudes, you also need to change your propeller to one with the right pitch (assuming your engine is still tuned for sea level).

My engine kept sputtering and stalling at idle or low speeds despite the fact it was mechanically sound. The reason was because my carburated engine was still tuned for (1) sea level, and we were (2) at +10,000ft , (3) my prop (low pitch) posed far too much resistance at startup unless I gunned the engine and then set it into gear.

Cheap remedy was to get a tuneup for high altitude (since that's where I use it primarily in Colorado) and buy a correct propeller.

Headhunter
06-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the replies so far, guys.

So far, I am leaning towards suggesting an I/O. I spoke with a few other people, and it has been suggested to me that a major reason to consider an I/O is that (as has been suggested here already) if you need to have an OUTBOARD serviced, then you need to find someone that works specifically on OUTBOARD motors, whereas with an I/O, it's basically a car engine and can be worked on by most any competent mechanic.

Any other input either direction would be appreciated.... :)