PDA

View Full Version : George foreman grill

jim532
02-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Anyone cook trout on the George Foreman grill? I have the one with timer and adjustable temperature.
We've cooked other fish before, but I thought I'd get som ideas from the users here.

BIGRED KILLA
02-12-2009, 10:05 PM
I never did but if you cooked other fish Y not trout.

Bigred

jim532
02-13-2009, 12:07 AM
because the grill came with a manual and it has specific temps and times for salmon tuna etc and some other fish so just thought I'd ask before screwing up dinner. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it becuase with the george foreman grill you get 2 reults, absolutly perfect or screwed up beyond repair. there's no in between

midgettosser1
02-13-2009, 09:42 AM
have you cooked salmon on it?
I did once... made the thing reak like *** for a week.
never again.

fish_sauce
02-13-2009, 06:37 PM
have you cooked salmon on it?
I did once... made the thing reak like *** for a week.
never again.

Haha. I never tried it myself personally, but my roomate tried cooking trout on it a few years ago---the smell was so putrid that it kind of left me feeling weary about trying to grill fish with our george foreman grill at all. I'm not sure what it was---the marinade was light...but i think the smell comes from the burnt fish oils in their skin. With a normal grill, the oil and fat would just drip down and get burned up in the fire. With the george forman grill, the fatty oils drip down to the lower ridges (before it drips into the catch tray) and becomes vaporized since the lower ridges are also hot---and the smelly vapors also get absorbed back into the fish!! In fact, the whole kitchen smelled like rotten fish!!! :Skunk:

If you must try it, i suggest you try it on a small sample piece. If you don't have an outdoor grill, you may want to consider pan-searing it and then baking in oven on top of a grill-plate. You will get almost the same effect as an outdoor fire grill.

BIGRED KILLA
02-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Well there you go try it sounds too me like it came out good.

Bigred

tpfishnfool
02-18-2009, 07:50 AM
I dont cook fish in the house at all. I cook in a cast iron pan and oil on the bbq. Works great and no week long smell in the crib. fyi

BBL2Baja
03-10-2009, 02:54 PM
One rule for cooking fish on the George Forman Grill. Frozen fish fillets ONLY. Pop the still frozen fillet on it and let it do it's magic. Halibut, tilapia and cod (white, flaky fish) seem to work the best. Don't really know how salmon would turn out, I'd rather put salmon on the outdoor grill. I have one because there are many times during winter that outdoor grilling is not an option for me.

Later,
Scott