PDA

View Full Version : Where to camp?

plumbertom
02-12-2009, 08:10 AM
I've been to the Long Valley to camp one time last Sept. at Convict Lake.
I intended to spend two weeks exploring the area but my trip was cut to two days by an unexpected event that required my return to the city.
I would like to venture back into the area this winter/spring but being unfamiliar with the area would like some input about camping below the snow line. I prefer federally run campgrounds because I get 1/2 price camping but I'm not entirely opposed to private camps as long as they are not overpriced. I'm on a fixed Income so have to save where I can.
Any recommendations as to where to fish that are not too difficult to access would also help as I have limited mobility. I can walk but long hikes and very rough terrain are beyond what I can tolerate. I do have a 4x4 truck that can usually get me fairly close.

Sierra_Smitty
02-12-2009, 08:22 AM
I've been to the Long Valley to camp one time last Sept. at Convict Lake.
I intended to spend two weeks exploring the area but my trip was cut to two days by an unexpected event that required my return to the city.
I would like to venture back into the area this winter/spring but being unfamiliar with the area would like some input about camping below the snow line. I prefer federally run campgrounds because I get 1/2 price camping but I'm not entirely opposed to private camps as long as they are not overpriced. I'm on a fixed Income so have to save where I can.
Any recommendations as to where to fish that are not too difficult to access would also help as I have limited mobility. I can walk but long hikes and very rough terrain are beyond what I can tolerate. I do have a 4x4 truck that can usually get me fairly close.

Pleasant Valley(north of Bishop) and Bitterbrush (Bishop Creek Canyon) are the only two campgrounds I know of that are open this time of year. The other campgrounds don't open until around the fishing opener at the end of April.

Joshua
02-12-2009, 07:03 PM
THere are some BLM campgrounds at Taboose and Gooddale Creeks. It is dry camping.
Tuttle creek near Lone pine may be accessible. I dont remember there being a gate. I am sure the water is turned off and the Bathroom is closed I did camp there for the early opener,which is the first Sat of March.
Pleasant Valley Reservior campground is right along the Owens and a short walk to the Reservoir