PDA

View Full Version : the duct 2-10-09 Coooooooolder than cold !

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Knowing that this weather is unbelievable cold, I did not intend on going out last night but when I found out that it’s gonna get even colder and more rain coming….I decided “what the heck !”

When I drove out from work I decided that I will punish myself in that crazy cold……PUNISH MYSELF is exactly what I did…

Man…it was Coooooold ! felt like my fingers were gonna break off….

I fished it HARD !!!!!! walked about 5 miles or more…ATTACKING !

I thought for sure if I fished with persistence, my dilligance would pay off….

NO ACTION !!!!!!! Dayam !

I wasn’t giving up that easily….(Man I’m nuts, it was gale force winds)

After that I thought I’d expand my horizons and try somewhere new….that didn’t pan out so I tried 1 more spot that I hadn’t tried yet…..BAMmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…thump thump thump….Oh yeah buddy…..My adrenaline fueled my fire as I battled this worthy adversary……..Dayam !!!! what power !!!!!!!!!

My 7’ 6” crucial felt the starin but that striper felt the pain as I proceeded to wear that sucka down…………….

VICTORY……is MINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

KPN Pear white Skinny shad steel brought ‘em down !

I actually wanted to release it as I feel I must do my part to return a little love since the duct has given me some love but my camera kept fogging up and the gale force winds kept blowing my camera over…

I did what I had come to do so I didn’t even cast any more as my hands hurt bad from the cold…..

Went on home happy with a toad !
Gary
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/kpnduct2-10-091.jpg
Heres one of the shots I tried to take when my camera kept fogging up and getting blown over in the gale force winds !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/kpnduct2-10-092.jpg

LateFisher
02-11-2009, 09:40 AM
GARY,:High Five: :High Five: YOU DA MAN !!!!!!!!!!!

kpn
02-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Yeah!
Congrats on the catch bud, despite the weather.....:Thumbs Up:.
That's crazy buddy! After talked to you yesterday I thought you stay home.....You're one of dedicated fisherman I known.
Again good job bud.

Khanh.

thepuma
02-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Crazy Dawg. It was cold. Monday it was snowing:Cold Fishing:
A day later! You didn't even give the snow a chance to melt.
LOL

FISHBAIT
02-11-2009, 10:14 AM
SWEET! Good work. your tougher than most, I had a hard time getting out of my work truck just to run into my office.

Congrats!

Fishbait

NoHo ART
02-11-2009, 10:31 AM
damn bro nothing can hold you back huh?
grate job out there!

WJC71
02-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Wow, you are just killen' 'em out there
That KPN sure is the ticket!!!
:ROFL:

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Wow, you are just killen' 'em out there
That KPN sure is the ticket!!!

Its all the same fish, I caught it at F&F

WJC71
02-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Its all the same fish, I caught it at F&F

With a Jerk-it .... Right?

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-11-2009, 11:14 AM
With a Jerk-it .... Right?

Powerbait with CORN gravy

fishinone
02-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Congratulations Gary,

You've put a lot of time in out there and it's paid off.

Ron

Striper Bill
02-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Congrats to you Gary, very nice.:Smile:

J. Owen
02-11-2009, 12:11 PM
hey what reigon of the duct do you fish???
oh ya and that is a very nice catch
on a poper???

StriperEye
02-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Gary, You surely are F-ING AMAZING MAN! :Applause::Worship:

WJC71
02-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Gary, You surely are F-ING AMAZING MAN! :Applause::Worship:

Boy, Gary, you're almost to Bob status

Lipripper93561
02-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Five miles in that storm...geez...diehard for sure. That overhang looks famiar, but could be any of the dozen or so....picture is Tehachapi from that storm you weathered. Keep it up, I got my eyes out for that jacket out in the rain, see ya soon.

breeze71
02-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Good job bro...u cwazy slayer.

That pic gives it all away. ql i rockz :)

yolo
02-11-2009, 03:11 PM
The guy walked 5 miles. What does it matter where it was caught? They are gone and on the move anyway. There are a few spots with the shade. Johnson, Cheseboro and 280th. Maybe the next shot will be from inside the portable toilet at one of the shade spots? Now that one will be hard to decipher. Speaking of spots with a toilet, Ave S has one with a rec room. Damn that thing is big.

trail blazer
02-11-2009, 03:38 PM
GARY,,,You have masterd the duct stripes,,
stay on those suckers and that 30lbr will be your,s soon.

WJC71
02-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Is Quail considered the Duct?

Bird dog
02-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Great fish.Way to hang in there.

yolo
02-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Never thought about that but I would say no. Aqueduct is a channel that is designed to transport water. Quail is a lake and is rightfully named that "Quail Lake".

Striper Bill
02-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Way to go Gary, real nice.:Smile:

Skyler
02-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Sweet jailbird, Gary. And on a crankbait too. Nice.

calico killer kevin
02-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Wow, great catch.
Since you fish so much, I was wondering what is your reel
of choice and how is it holding up?

thepuma
02-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Is Quail considered the Duct?

Never thought about that but I would say no. Aqueduct is a channel that is designed to transport water. Quail is a lake and is rightfully named that "Quail Lake".

Here is a description of Quail Lake in case you decide to go:

Quail Lake is a sag pond on the San Andreas Fault that was
enlarged to its current 7,580 acre-feet during
construction of the State Water Project (SWP) (DWR
1999). The lake provides water storage for Warne
Powerplant and has a watershed of about 4 square
miles and vertical relief from 3,300 to 4,400 feet.
Wildlife is found in the watershed, and livestock
graze around the lake. Fishing amenities are
accessible from Highway 138

spooky007
02-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Boy, Gary, you're almost to Bob status

Good fish!! Where is feelthesteel's honey hole?? I thought I saw it painted somewhere!!! Looks like some one replaced SB as the king of 661!!! New monicker, Striperfeelthesteel!!!

thepuma
02-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Oh, and Gary I posted this elsewhere, but hey what are friends for?
Alright Gary. I now know your secret. Why you catch so much! It's not just time and technique.
I found this while doing search for float tubing on You Tube. This may be old news to some, but it's new to me. Thanks for posting this Ray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLO-2UPS2Fg&feature=channel_page

Be sure to check out Ray's entire collection.

Sorry Gary, I had to help spread this fishing tip into the public domain so all the new members can give it a shot.:Singing In Rain:

yolo
02-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Here is a description of Quail Lake in case you decide to go:

Quail Lake is a sag pond on the San Andreas Fault that was
enlarged to its current 7,580 acre-feet during
construction of the State Water Project (SWP) (DWR
1999). The lake provides water storage for Warne
Powerplant and has a watershed of about 4 square
miles and vertical relief from 3,300 to 4,400 feet.
Wildlife is found in the watershed, and livestock
graze around the lake. Fishing amenities are
accessible from Highway 138

So you are saying it is a lake. Una lake is a sag too on the San Andreas.

thepuma
02-11-2009, 07:10 PM
So you are saying it is a lake. Una lake is a sag too on the San Andreas.
it's a lake. Elizabeth Lake, lake Hughes, Castac (not Castaic) Jackson Lake are all sag ponds too. Quail is just modified now. speaking of Una (the bottomless lake:LOL:), have you ever fished it?

yolo
02-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Never fished Una. I should have back in the day when it was not fenced off. I always thought I would pull a body out of it, lol.

nismotech91
02-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Nice fish Gary! Way to tough it out and get rewarded!

TroutOnly
02-11-2009, 08:28 PM
WAY TO SLAY KILLA,,,,,,,t/o...MINES COMIN,,,ON THE KPN,,,I WAS UP WORKING THE SPOT AGAIN,,,,,,t/o

exist2fish
02-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Nice fish!! I’ve been hitting up the duct for weeks for not-a. Were the gates open? What was the time? Maybe I’m just not fishing hard enough. I like my nuts though.

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi everyone, thank you all for the great feedback, I really do appreciate it...

I kinda need to throw this out there:

With the utmost respect to each and every angler who has asked me which spots I am fishing….or to take them out there to fish…
(I don’t want to come off rude so I hope this is interpreted in the best of intensions)

For obvious reasons I cannot just send everyone to the exact groups of areas that I have frequented lately or take each individual out there 1 by one.

Trust me, I am fishing many spots, not just one.

Please put yourself in my shoes.

This situation really puts me between a rock and a hard place and being asked puts me in a binding position..

Please understand that I have not been fishing the duct for years and do not deem myself as a duct authority.

I have simply went out and fished, many times I got skunked but a few times located the fish….the odds were that if I fished hard enough, eventually I’ll contact the fish.

Those fish are not always at the same spot, as someone noted above, they are on the move for the better part, believe it or not, there’s allot of luck involved, coupled with some time on the water….this ends up leaving it up to being at the right place at the right time….then the presentation will come into factor.

If you catch a fish in 1 spot, when you return another day, that doesn’t neccessarily mean they will be around again in the same area…just gotta search.

I do not mind helping my fellow anglers and I’d guess there might even be many online here that could attest to that, I do go out of my way to share a little info regularly.

This situation and the conditions are much more unique than a lake or harbor or the like.

Given this spirit,

I am happy to share what I can and I can write up a brief tutorial on how to fish the KPN Skinny shad and post in the general forum.

I do not fish other lures there so I could not instruct one on the how to’s regarding any other lures.

Maybe that will help, I don’t want to come off in a bad way.

In addition, I’d suggest going to Striper Bill’s directories/maps on his site, that should aid you in getting to a few areas..and have a few options.

Also regarding the times I fish…

I fish just about anytime I can get out there, early or late… lately been going between the hours of 3pm all the way up to 3am….not saying I fish all those hours, just my attack could span anytime within that. (I try to go in the mornings too but my work schedules conflict with that).

You can contact fish anytime of day or night, you just need to be on the water to do it…diligence pays off. keep pounding it!

Last time out, I left at 12:30am. the gates were not open

REGARDING THE SPECULATION ON WHERE I WAS AT WHEN THAT LAST PIC WAS TAKEN……

I’m sorry guys, I really got a good laugh out of this one…if one were to “lighten” the photo, this is what you get……….

IT’S MY PARKING LOT AT MY APARTMENT !

LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/kpnduct2-10-091-lightened.jpg

Anyway, I wish everyone real good luck and much success out there.

Theres no substitute for just getting out there and really fishing it hard…move around…experiement with new areas…

That’s precisely what I did, trust me, if I can get out there and get lucky, anyone of you can as well.

The best piece of advice is to go there….FISH HARD !.....BELEIVE ! sometimes you just need to believe it will happen….it will make you fish harder !

Good luck,
Gary

thepuma
02-12-2009, 10:29 AM
:Applause: Well Said!!!!

yolo
02-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah I totally agree. BTW, that lightened pic is classic. It looks just like the shades at a few spots but like I said and you too, the fish are mobile in the duct. There is no best spot. Put the time and you may get rewarded. I got spoiled for awhile when I was hooking up within 5 to 10 minutes of arriving when I had my last good run at the end of 08. Lately I just get out there for a half hour to an hour only but have not caught anything. I know I am not putting enough time in. It's all good. 1/2 to 1 hour is better than 0, lol especially when I see posts of guys out there all day and still getting skunked. I miss spring!

StriperEye
02-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Very well said Gary! Hope to see you out there one of these days or nights.

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Fresh Striper Ceviche’ fit for a king…
Add avocado when ur eatin it….Know whats for dinna ?

Ahhhh..Dee-licious !

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/ductstriperceviche.jpg

kpn
02-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Save me some buddy :ROFL:.

KPN.

BingJr
02-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Gary!

:Worship:

steve092
02-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Nice one Gary!

snag
02-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi everyone, thank you all for the great feedback, I really do appreciate it...

I kinda need to throw this out there:

With the utmost respect to each and every angler who has asked me which spots I am fishing….or to take them out there to fish…
(I don’t want to come off rude so I hope this is interpreted in the best of intensions)

For obvious reasons I cannot just send everyone to the exact groups of areas that I have frequented lately or take each individual out there 1 by one.

Good luck,
Gary

You're a 'Hater' Gary!, LOL

Can you just take a bunch of us out there ONCE and save yourself a thousand individual trips?

Thanks for such an informative report and giving us hope, LOL.

WTG, Man...that's a killer fish and you deserve it...Well done!

Hitts0n
02-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Cool stuff man.

trail blazer
02-13-2009, 06:17 AM
GARY ,,,where do you live<EXACTLY>,,,
im going fishing in youre parking lot:ROFL: