PDA

View Full Version : Cabrillo 2/9

DrGrnthmb
02-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Took my stepson out on the breakwater between the storms. Carolina rigged squid strips got sum giant jacksmelts on the ocean side(up to 20"!) Mussels on the harbor side produced lots of perch/opaleye. Dropshotted the pier for some shortie butt action, up to 18", but some guys on the beach throwin' plastics hooked a 25"+er but lost it while it was beached...I feel for ya, chasing that thing on your knees in the shallows. Not a bad day, least no skunk...

klocked
02-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Good job for you and your son!

Just thought I'd mention this.... The Federal Breakwall there at Cabrillo is gov property. There's a no trespassing sign there and since last september, law enforcement has been cracking down and giving out tickets left and right..... just sayin'

smitty99
02-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Nice work on the fish! I bet that guy chasing his 25"er was soaked!!! You gonna fry up those perch??

DrGrnthmb
02-10-2009, 10:08 PM
thanx for the heads up Klocked, hadn't been there in years but I saw the bucket brigade all lined up along it and figured it was OK. Smitty, I didn't feel like busting out the pocketknife but fried perch...MMMM

bones
02-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Hey dude.....It's been a while since I've seen a report from you. I remember when you gave me the low down on Topaz Jetty which led to some great days and eventually my first corbina. That breakwall at cabrillio almost killed me and Bigred one time when we had to bail out of the water while float tubing the harbor. We kicked all of the way to the bait receiver just to have the wind come up and try it's best to blow us out of the harbor. We couldn't kick against the wind and make it back to the pier so we bailed out onto the breakwall right by the lighthose. It took us two hours to haul all of our gear down that breakwall and the harbor patrol even harrassed us and told us to move faster.It was a bad experience and I have vowed to NEVER float tube that place again....LOL
Sounds like you had a good multi species day though. Great Job Man!
Thanks for the report!