PDA

View Full Version : Can You Surf Fish At Night?

gavin310
02-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Are you allowed to surf fish the L.A. beaches at night? For some reason I was under the impression you're not allowed on the beach at night, but I don't know where I heard that.

SOSO
02-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Are you allowed to surf fish the L.A. beaches at night? For some reason I was under the impression you're not allowed on the beach at night, but I don't know where I heard that.

You can. Kinda cold these days though.. Good luck.

bones
02-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Different creatures come out at night like Sharks,batrays,shovelnosed guitarfish and such. It's mostly the bait and wait thing. Just pay close attention to the parking signs. All along PCH for example there are signs everywhere that state "No parking from 10pm to 6am. For the most part the law doesn't want drunk party goers trying to go swimming at night time or for the beach to become a hang out at night.

LunkerLover
02-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Call me the pessimist, but be careful what beaches you're fishing from. Some beaches, specifically from Seal Beach all the way south to Laguna, only allow beach access up till 10pm

gavin310
02-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Call me the pessimist, but be careful what beaches you're fishing from. Some beaches, specifically from Seal Beach all the way south to Laguna, only allow beach access up till 10pm

i lived in hermosa beach before and i think the rule there is 10pm too, that must have been where i heard it.

jonshibata
02-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I've tried, but about the only thing really biting at night are the junk fish, like sharks and rays. You'll just freeze your *** off, pretty much. Stick with the daytime bite.

Wingnut
02-10-2009, 08:55 PM
The only time I would consider fishing at night is during a Grunion run. :Wink: :Twisted:

gavin310
02-10-2009, 09:32 PM
i have a friend who wants to catch some sharks, that's the only reason i'm considering it :)

surfnfish
02-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Well, if your targeting sharks, then yes fishing the surf can be excellent at night. Other than that, like Wingnut said, only during the Grunion runs. However, during a good run the bite can be pretty WFO amazing for all species.

Fishingmonkee
02-11-2009, 05:09 PM
redondo beach/pier is open all night, so im pretty sure you can fish on the redondo shores for surf fishing. correct me if im wrong thou. thanks

bones
02-12-2009, 09:14 AM
I've tried, but about the only thing really biting at night are the junk fish, like sharks and rays. You'll just freeze your *** off, pretty much. Stick with the daytime bite.

If you have ever caught a big batray or a decent size shark at night you would know how much they fight like MAD. I guess it depends if you are fishing for the fight or fishing for food though. Actually .....Now that I think about it.....Shark tastes great!

Seng90806
02-12-2009, 05:20 PM
The only time I would consider fishing at night is during a Grunion run. :Wink: :Twisted:

thats the best time to fish at night....catch u a grunion and send it back out and you'll catch you a "BIG BUTT"