PDA

View Full Version : To eat or not to eat?

EvilFett
02-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to posting here but i've lurked for a long time. I will post some reports later today.

My question refers to eating your catch :Big Grin: Do you guys consider it unethical to catch a big fat cat (or any other fish except LMB and carp)from lets say any city park or state lake and fry the sucka? After reading thousands of posts here it seems that way! I've been fishing for many years and love to eat my fresh catch. I've been renewing my license for over 15yrs and deserve to take my catch, right? Of coarse I only take my limit (which is hardly reached:ROFL:).

pasadenafishin
02-10-2009, 04:05 PM
I eat trout or catfish from the parks, never anything else

HBJapo
02-10-2009, 04:07 PM
It is not unethical, but perhaps very unhealthy, if it's from a city park lake. I do not eat the cats I catch from HB Central. Of course, I CnR everything but trout.

Japo :Envious:

smalweld
02-10-2009, 04:28 PM
You have to realise that the Cats and the Trout are stocked. They are put in there for us to catch and to take home and cook. The Bass are self sustaining and not stocked. If everyone who catches a bass and takes them home, then there will be no more bass in the city parks. Larger lakes probably less so of a possibility but with millions of people around and such small areas to fish, you can guess the outcome. Now however stripers... eat all you can catch :)

Sean

lurk 182
02-10-2009, 04:34 PM
could not have said it better. be nice to the bass cause they're not putting any new ones in there. all you want on anything that gets stocked plus stripers.

EvilFett
02-10-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm very nice to the bass! They are all released and ready to fight another day.

fish4keep
02-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Although the cats are stocked, only those that survive the many hooks (fishermen) out there will grow big (depend on what your definition of big is). Most cats that are stock are 1-3 lbs. I read somewhere that cat and carp taste like the water they are in. So cat that's been in the park for more than a few day, I wouldn't eat. If it's within the first few days after stock, it's fair game.

DEADROOTS
02-10-2009, 05:05 PM
You can use just don't abuse! If we eat too many we will deplete our resources, but if we don't eat any at all we will affect the lakes carrying capacity which would result in skinny big headed fish and other problems exist with it also! Eating a fish or two is a wonderful way to end fishing trip anyway at least in my opinion!:Beer Toast:

fishfinder
02-10-2009, 06:59 PM
keep some crappie
keep some bluegil
leave the trout for the stripers
let stripers over 5 lbs go.......

Fishingmonkee
02-10-2009, 07:30 PM
sorry to hijack for a little bit but what are the stocking for catfishes in city parks and how do i find out?

NoHo ART
02-10-2009, 07:35 PM
sorry to hijack for a little bit but what are the stocking for catfishes in city parks and how do i find out?

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/SouthCoast_Catfish.asp

PHISHnutS
02-10-2009, 07:38 PM
keep some crappie
keep some bluegil

Right on :Cool:

Ifishtoolittle
02-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to posting here but i've lurked for a long time. I will post some reports later today.

My question refers to eating your catch :Big Grin: Do you guys consider it unethical to catch a big fat cat (or any other fish except LMB and carp)from lets say any city park or state lake and fry the sucka? After reading thousands of posts here it seems that way! I've been fishing for many years and love to eat my fresh catch. I've been renewing my license for over 15yrs and deserve to take my catch, right? Of coarse I only take my limit (which is hardly reached:ROFL:).

It is true you do have a right to take your catch, but also consider whether by taking a large fish if the lake would be hurt by taking it.

BassFreak
02-10-2009, 08:28 PM
You are within your rights keeping catfish and/or trout. I wouldnt advice you to eat them though for health reasons, but thats just me though. If I wouldnt drink the water from a lake, I wouldnt eat the fish from there..

HBJapo
02-11-2009, 09:07 AM

They stock cats during the warmer weather, trout during colder weather.

Japo :Envious:

City Dad
02-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Harrasing any creature for the sake of entertainment is wrong.

I fish to catch food. The thing is, I rarely catch the fish I'm looking for, so I gotta let 'em all go;)

WJC71
02-11-2009, 10:35 AM
keep some crappie
keep some bluegil

Amen fishfinder

DarkShadow
02-11-2009, 01:17 PM

If i'm catchin' them in the Delta or a body of water that can sustain them, sure!

Else they're released into the frying pan.

lurk 182
02-11-2009, 01:42 PM
If i'm catchin' them in the Delta or a body of water that can sustain them, sure!

Else they're released into the frying pan.

yeah, i'm more like early Metallica on the linesides "kill em all".

BassMasterson
02-12-2009, 12:44 PM
yeah, i'm more like early Metallica on the linesides "kill em all".

I'm more like mid career Metalica, ditch the mustaches (cat fish and carp)!

rockbass
02-14-2009, 12:12 PM

Go here and find your area, click on the map...

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/index.asp

EvilFett
02-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Hey last weeks cat from laguna sure was tasty:Big Grin: