PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Striper went MIA at Skinner

FishingFanatic
02-10-2009, 07:42 AM
My dad and I Went to Skinner on Sunday. Downpourned pretty much all day but I had my military poncho and some beer so I was good. There were about 5 boats in the early morning but only me and 1 other after 11. Trolled 4 polls in 5 foot increments from 10 feet to 30. Used leadcore, snapwweights, and deep running cranks. Trolled some taildancers, umbrella rigs, z-plugs, rattle trapps, flys, and bucktails for nada all day. There was no water coming in and no bites soaking the choves from the inlet. Caught 1 striper drifting choves in 30' and one catfish in 30'. Saw only a few striper heads at the cleaning station confirming not much going on right now. Only picked up one baitfish ball as well on my Hummingbird 700 series. Either Im getting worse at fishing or Mr. Stripey took a vacation because 2 years ago I had 30 fish days there using these same techniques. And where have all the boils and birds been??? I just hope our Southern Californian waters are being preserved.

lizzay
02-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Sorry about your tuff day. Hopefully with spring around the corner things will happen.

Eat Sleep Fish
02-10-2009, 12:47 PM
should get better in the weeks/months to come

FishingFanatic
02-10-2009, 12:55 PM
October/November used to be good but I have fished this lake twice a month last year with little boils being spotted. Sure hope it picks up March-May.

That Dang Guy
02-10-2009, 01:11 PM
There still there. Couple of weeks ago there was a small little frenzy of 2-4 lbs. Last years spawn is starting to get in the 6" range as well. Still got some growing to do.

Eat Sleep Fish
02-10-2009, 01:18 PM
rain/moon phase will also put a damper on the bite for a few days, atleast a couple. should be a good striper summer this year.