PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear 02/05/09

BigGameHunter
02-09-2009, 09:14 PM
This is what happens when the state (Arnie) wants to furlough its employees. The wife had a day off also so we made a, spur of the moment, trip to Big Bear Lake. We dropped the kids off at school, grabbed the poles, and off we went. We took our time getting up there. We arrived at the Dam around 9am. We started out soaking some crawlers and power bait. The weather was perfect when we arrived, sunny and no wind. After about an hour it was bendo. This bow had the most perfect tail (Check the fins in the pic). As the day progressed so did the wind and clouds. The bows were hitting on the crawlers and leaving the PB alone. We braved the elements wind and snow flurry’s until I caught the last one of the day. The bow was caught on a Fly and Bubble set up with a wooly bugger that had a small propeller on the front (I know it sounds crazy, but I have a lot of success with it, especially in the sierra’s). We ended up leaving to go grab lunch and a cold one about 2pm. After that we proceeded down the hill to pick up the boys (Who were quite upset that they didn’t get a line wet!)

FISHBAIT
02-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Nice tails, looks like you had fun! I would'nt of told my kids I would've never heard the end of it...thanks for sharing.

fishincrave
02-09-2009, 09:32 PM
those are beautiful fish congrats.:Big Grin: thanks for sharing .

Sean

smitty99
02-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Those fish look GREAT and so Healthy!!! Always love to hear the reports on BBL. Thanks!!!

Simplyeman
02-09-2009, 10:21 PM
healthiest lookin' fish ive seen out of big bear thus far. don't hear to many reports coming out of big bear. I'll wait until the snow melts to go up there. People do NOT know how to drive on the 330.

Eat Sleep Fish
02-10-2009, 12:37 AM
NICE lookin trout. healthy fish.

good you guys caught a few right before the big ol' storm.

StriperEye
02-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Great pics and thanks for the report!

steve092
02-10-2009, 05:24 AM
Those are very nice looking trout.

Good job.

Fresh H2O Bill
02-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Great job on the Big Bear locals. Those are some beautiful fish! Thanks for sharing the pics and the info.

Bill

Matthew 4:19

DCCTrouserTrout
02-10-2009, 06:12 AM
I'm going to agree with everyone else on this one and say BBL produces some nice looking fish.

bblbasser
02-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Nice fish! The prop/fly thing is a great idea! We've received 2 1/2 to 3 feet of snow since saturday and the highway situation is a mess now (avalanches on artic circle) , but should get better by today's end. I put on the snow shoes and hiked to the lake sunday morning for a few fish on the crappie jig in a snow storm. I might do it again today as I've got all my shoveling done. If I do I'll let you guys know. Temp right now is 4 degrees so it's gonna have to get closer to 30 before I do! Scott

p.s. My wife thinks I'm nuts for fishing in these conditions so I tell her "hell ya, I'm nuts, that's why I need to go fishin to get my sanity back!

TEAM CASTIN
02-10-2009, 07:10 AM
NICE FISH DUDE
the water looks really clean

seal
02-10-2009, 08:16 AM
That fly you referred to is a 'Pistol Pete' or a knock off on a Pete. That is a fantastic fly to work in the creeks, Sierra's, with light spinning tackle. Just enough weight to cast short distances for those that haven't taken up the fly fishing addiction.

Love those BBL bows! Great job out there!!

goober
02-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Nice job.
That's what a trout's tail should look like.
I'll be up there later this month and will hopefully get my first fish on the fly rod.

Congrats

Gabe

lurk 182
02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
i'll take a couple of those over a fifteen pound mongoloid anyday. sorry about the job deal, hope the governator can get enough money from the "apparently overfunded?" DFG to be able to write some paychecks. what a nightmare. way to make the best of it though.

billy b
02-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Did you ever get a picture up of that big dog you got a little while back?

I looked at your post a few times and didn't see it.

Peace and hi to your bride!

bblbasser
02-10-2009, 11:55 AM
pm me your new cell # and I'll send it to ya!

FISH_HUNTER
02-10-2009, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=lurk 182;307015]i'll take a couple of those over a fifteen pound mongoloid anyday.

MY THOUGHT'S EXACTLY, COLD WATER TROUT FIGHT 10X HARDER THAN THERE SUBURBAN WATER PLANTERS!:Beer Toast::Thumbs Up:
LOVE FISHING BBL JUST DON'T TELL TOO MANY PEOPLE :LOL::Secret:

BigGameHunter
02-10-2009, 05:33 PM
That fly you referred to is a 'Pistol Pete' or a knock off on a Pete. That is a fantastic fly to work in the creeks, Sierra's, with light spinning tackle. Just enough weight to cast short distances for those that haven't taken up the fly fishing addiction.

Love those BBL bows! Great job out there!!

They are called "Marvel Flies" a guy by the name of Ray Sowers sells them. I know for a fact they sell them at Convict Lake. That is where i have alot of success with them. As for other places they sell them I couldn't tell you... Sorry
You are right they do well in the streams..

BGH

BigGameHunter
02-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Nice job.
That's what a trout's tail should look like.
I'll be up there later this month and will hopefully get my first fish on the fly rod.

Congrats

Gabe

I take it you tube!!! If you do I may see out there some time soon...

BGH

Tfisherman
02-11-2009, 02:24 AM
Great report and pictures, its hard to beat Big Bear lake, it has some excellent trout fishing.

billy b
02-11-2009, 07:11 PM
are you still doing worms? your site only shows orange ...