PDA

View Full Version : Shallow Spool?

SOSO
02-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Pardon my ignorance... Would filling a regular spool with a fraction of the line cap, would it work the same as a shallow spool?

BassFreak
02-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Nope.. Not REally..

SanDimasLMB
02-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Pardon my ignorance... Would filling a regular spool with a fraction of the line cap, would it work the same as a shallow spool?

The whole idea behind the shallow spool thing is for finesse aplications. It also reduces the possibility of backlashes and other nasty stuff.

SOSO
02-09-2009, 08:19 PM
The whole idea behind the shallow spool thing is for finesse aplications. It also reduces the possibility of backlashes and other nasty stuff.

By filling less line, reg. spool wouldn't have backlash/ nasty issues. It's the same reel, just different spool. How much more finesse would it get?

SOSO
02-09-2009, 08:21 PM
By wrapping the spool with paper and scotch tape. Less line would be used. Would it be the same?

bsp
02-09-2009, 08:41 PM
If you bulked the spool up with tape first, it probably would approximate the effects you get from using a shallow spool. The reason you would need to bulk it up first though is that otherwise the line would just hit the spool lip and you would lose casting distance. That's in spinning reels.
In baitcasters, that would only hurt the performance of the reel if anything. Shallow spools in baitcasters are lighter than the normal spool, so they can cast light weights more easily. Bulking a normal spool up with tape (assuming the tape is denser than the same volume of line) would make it heavier than it should be, so it would make it harder for the spool to start turning with the lighter weights.

That Dang Guy
02-09-2009, 09:15 PM
I've heard of people using graphite arbors or cork tape to simulate what a shallow spool would do. Some older japanese reels came with two plastic half rings to accomplish that...Sensilites come to mind.

I'm not positive if shallow spool reels actually weigh less than normal spools. My C2000S actually weighs more than the nonshallow version. I imagine after it's filled with line, the reverse is true.

On shimano reels, the drag surface is also smaller. This is because they need a smaller range to work with. Also, it allows for finer adjustments of the drag.

SOSO
02-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks for great info. guys..

calico killer kevin
02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Shallow spools compared to their normal-spooled counterparts have to weigh
more because if you think about it, the inner diameter of the shallow spool
is larger than the normal spool. That means more metal.

BassWhisperer
02-10-2009, 04:34 PM
OK lets say the shallow spool weighs less than a regular spool when filled to the brim. Does the shallow spool perform better as far as casting? I would think its the same since the spool weight has no affect on casting distance. I've always wondered why they made such shallow spool? I'm guessing weight issues.

BassFreak
02-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Typically the Shallow spool version weighs a bit less. (and no Calico Killer Kevin, you silly boy, its not more metal as the spools are "hollow") :ROFL: The lesser weight is not for distance casting, the benefit is less fatigue on the fishermans arm/hand. it is very minimal though at best.

The main advantage I like with the shallow spool is the larger diameter spool your line is going around in makes for easier line management. less line twist in simple terms. less and bigger coils in your line often translate to easier and farther casting. Not only do you use less line per spooling, your line actually lasts longer since you dont have as much line twist. Who da heck needs 3millon yds of line anyway??? :ROFL:

Another benefit of the larger spool diameter is you can fit in bigger drag washers for better drag performance, but alas, this upgrade is not taken advantage of by most..

DarkShadow
02-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Who da heck needs 3millon yds of line anyway??? :ROFL:

It's obvious you haven't experienced a blazing 150 yard run by a largemouth.

:Rolls Eyes:

There's a reason why they call black bass The Sailfish of the Freshwater.

calico killer kevin
02-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Typically the Shallow spool version weighs a bit less. (and no Calico Killer Kevin, you silly boy, its not more metal as the spools are "hollow") :ROFL:
What I meant was that the spool without line has to weigh more than the
normal spool without line. The circumference of the shallow spool is larger
than the normal spool due to the larger diameter.

That Dang Guy
02-11-2009, 12:00 AM
The main advantage of shallow spools is line management. You can also swap out line for frequently. This works well for dropshotters and any type of vertical jigging. Flipping precision and distance is also increased since the start up of the spool is less.

BassFreak
02-11-2009, 12:19 AM
What I meant was that the spool without line has to weigh more than the
normal spool without line. The circumference of the shallow spool is larger
than the normal spool due to the larger diameter.

Yes the outer diameter might be larger, but with the larger spool diameter, you can make the "walls" thinner, thus the same amount of "metal" is probably used while maintaining structure strength. really tho, we are talking about less than micrometers here so its pretty much negligible.. Just like how some Rod companies boast their lightness and strength, but when you inspect them at the store, their so much "fatter" than the rods their competing against. their basically trying to get away with using less carbon/graphite.. but i digress..

DarkShadow
02-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Just like how some Rod companies boast their lightness and strength, but when you inspect them at the store, their so much "fatter" than the rods their competing against. their basically trying to get away with using less carbon/graphite.. but i digress..

PM sent re: this interesting observation.

(Don't want to put the rod company on blast here)

Fastfish
02-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Typically used in lite-line applications in both bait-casters & spinning-reels the line can be changed out more often in the case of some of the hi-end reels out of Japan the top choices are not what has always been 1st choice for me it was reels much larger with very large spools but also very shallow only allowing 100yds. of 4lb on there so it allows you to fill the spool more often and with lees cost this gets pricey with Fluoro my last reel purchase was a Daiwa 2506 this reel is liter than most of the 1000 sized reels I've had previously to it and because of the extra large spool line twist issues are all but totally eliminated if you hunt them out there are low capacity spools for bait-casters as well in this area casting performance becomes a issue and again changing out line as lite-line is always being used 6lb most of the time 8lb is heavy line there are multiple reasons behind the shallow spool issue but for me it was pretty simple.

Fastfish