PDA

View Full Version : No such thing as a stupid question....right?

SkipperDick
02-09-2009, 04:09 PM
I removed the carb from my 9.9 hp merc outboard to clean it. Here's the question.......Is the Pilot Jet supposed to "bottom out" when I screw it back in, or do I just screw it in until it is "snug"? I just don't want to over tighten it is all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SkipperDick

Fastfish
02-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Snug not tite.

Fastfish

SkipperDick
02-09-2009, 04:42 PM
So how do you know if it is ''seated" low enough in the hole? Because it can actually screw in farther.

SkipperDick
02-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Okay, "snugged" it up and re-installed the carb on the engine.....Runs kick ***!!! now!!! Thanks for the help.

SkipperDick

Fastfish
02-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Very cool, glad you got it running, is it the 4-stroke or a 2cycle motor some sta-Bil in ur gas and maybe the best carb cleaning solution is Mercury's Power-Tune spray it into a cup and soak the carb parts in that you'll see the green trails of crap coming off the parts in the cup.

Fastfish

SkipperDick
02-09-2009, 06:55 PM
It is the 9.9hp 4 stroke Big Foot. I will have to get me some Sta-bil. Can't wait to get it in the water and give her a test run. You know, I have been reading about some sort of "upgrade" you can do to the 9.9 to make it a 15hp. Would be nice to have a little extra "giddy up" for the boat. The 9.9 just isn't quite enough. And thanks for the help brother.

SkipperDick

Fastfish
02-10-2009, 08:08 PM
You know that your motor because its a 4-stroke that carb has the tinyest little passages in it and if that gas goes bad in it you'll be faced with a problem everytime it'll never troll rite if clogged @ all hell the 2-strokes had passages big enuff to flow sticks thru but yours "no" take care of it it'll take care of you as far as modding it maybe but I would'nt recommend going down that path leave it alone and take care of it, it'll last a long time.

Fastfish

SkipperDick
02-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Man you aren't kidding about tiny holes/passages. I carefully used one of my torch tip cleaners to poke them all to make sure they were free of any should we say "crap". Not gonna "mod" the engine, just found it an interesting subject and thought if it was something "simple" then what the heck? Anyways thanks for the advice brother.

SkipperDick

GeordyBass
02-10-2009, 09:18 PM
what year is it?
I have a 2003 mercury 9.9hp 4stroke,but it is HEAVY as hell,120lbs.+ to be exact...I'd definitely like to see if i can up the power...can you post or send me the link?Thanks!

SkipperDick
02-11-2009, 02:16 AM
Mine is a 1995 Bigfoot. and there are a couple of mentions on www.iboats.com about the hp upgrades. From what I have figured out, it could possibly be done but you'd be better off just buying a bigger engine.