PDA

View Full Version : New reel and rod /reply

troutkiller_21
02-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Well i want a new setup to do some fishing in and around the Harbor, Bay,surf and peir. Im looking for something to tackle Halibut, Calico Bass ,Perch,Spotties etc. Im looking for a good casting reel and rod any suggestions?

calico killer kevin
02-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Citica and Compre. Wipe your hands cause you're done...

bones
02-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Well i want a new setup to do some fishing in and around the Harbor, Bay,surf and peir. Im looking for something to tackle Halibut, Calico Bass ,Perch,Spotties etc. Im looking for a good casting reel and rod any suggestions?

That's more like it. Now......What's the most you are willing to spend for your first setup?
I couldn't afford crap when I first got the bug. That's why I demoted some of my older FW gear to surf gear.
Also......Do you prefer to use a spinning setup or a baitcast setup?

victor101
02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
I like to use my Shimano Sahara 2500 and Compre setup for most of my inshore fishing.

That Dang Guy
02-09-2009, 11:27 PM
...did you really need to make a second post about the same topic? We were asking for information to point you in the right direction.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
02-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Im still not sure what application you want to use ,and what price range,so im going suggest a shimano cardiff 3oo or 2oo with a 7' 6" med heavy 8lb to 14 lb casting rod. Now you have enough left over to buy a sedona 2500 ,and a longer style drop shot rod for lighter presentations. The drop shot is a must in the bays ,and other coastal areas. The casting set up can be used to throw plastics ,hard baits and both can be used for bait and wait fishing .

bones
02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Im still not sure what application you want to use ,and what price range,so im going suggest a shimano cardiff 3oo or 2oo with a 7' 6" med heavy 8lb to 14 lb casting rod. Now you have enough left over to buy a sedona 2500 ,and a longer style drop shot rod for lighter presentations. The drop shot is a must in the bays ,and other coastal areas. The casting set up can be used to throw plastics ,hard baits and both can be used for bait and wait fishing .

Very sound advice for an entry level setup that won't break the bank and if you take care of your stuff it will last quite a while. Just make sure to wash the gear off either in the free public showers or bring some water in a bottle. Usually if I wait until I get home.....I get real lazy and that laziness has lead to the death of a few rigs!