PDA

View Full Version : Saturday RAIN fishing :)

MAVERICK27
02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I told myself that if it isn't pouring down when I get up Saturday, that I will go fishing at the Vine. Doesn't really matter much since I can zip and button up my entire cabin on the boat :) Needless to say, I stayed dry ALL day. The only time I got wet was when my poles went bendo through the windows, I had to unzip the back panel and set the hook!! Missed a couple that way, but there were so many fish that I would have caught wayyyyy too many if I didn't miss a couple.

Anyway, I set up off Trout Island and pointed the stern towards shore and casted on either side of the boat. I started with inflated night crawlers....very steady bite 5 minutes in. Two fish came unbuttoned and 3 short bit. Well, I made a quick terminal tackle change. After that....no problems!!! Some fish were short biting still and not committing, so I changed scent so they would hold it longer for me to set the hook. Well, Now I was dialed in. The bites came very consistantly. The biggest fish was in the upper 3Lb range with a couple upper 2 Lb. The great thing was that the smaller model stockers fought extremely hard and had beautiful tails!

I actually pulled my other pole out of the water a few times so that I could fish longer. Strange feeling...NOT wanting to catch fish. I hate to limit quick and go home. I like to enjoy my day on the lake.

Just then Whitney called me and asked "how's the bite?". I said only "ridiculous!, come out so we can catch more fish". I pulled anchor to pick him up at the doc. I have been inviting him to come out, so it was nice that he could finally make it.

Whit is a good fisherman and a blast to hang out with. He gave me some help with my baitcasting practice and I told him what I know about panfish. Whit caught a couple quick trout and then decided to target panfish. He was getting no love on the bow, so I had him drop straight down by the motor so we could relax and watch the poles. Every time the weight hit the ground and we reeled up 4 inches, the fish would hit! He couldn't even get the pole in the rod holder before it went off!!! At one time, I handed a pole to Whit while I checked a bite on the trout line. I saw him holding one pole with each hand and get bit simultaneously!!! I was cracking up!!!! He set one and the other missed..darn!!

Anyway, we were so busy having fun, that I took only one picture and my camera is at home, so i'll post it tomorrow. It is of the panfish we caught.

All-in-all, a phenominal day on the lake and great fishing with Whitney!!!

Sorry for no pics, but I loves me some overcast fishing and thought I would share!!!!!

Remember: If it isn't working, change it up!!! that includes different hooks and scents for different conditions.

Hitts0n
02-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I think I will be out that way tomorrow.I got to get some of that rain action! Great report!

MAVERICK27
02-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks Hitts.....PM me if you want any spots or details. I'll let ya know what worked for me anyway. You HAVE to hit the vine before the rain stops!!!!

FISHSTIX
02-09-2009, 10:11 AM
thanks for the report MAV and good looking out on the panfish info.
sounds like the rainy days are producing good fishing.:Cool:

MAVERICK27
02-09-2009, 10:18 AM
No problem! We had a few different species of panfish, so it was fun to see what came up. Mostly Blugills, sunfish etc.

BassMasterson
02-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I actually pulled my other pole out of the water a few times so that I could fish longer. Strange feeling...NOT wanting to catch fish. I hate to limit quick and go home. I like to enjoy my day on the lake.

I could be wrong... but I think now you can go back and buy a new pass and limit out again! Its another 22 bucks, but on a day like that could be well worth it! Anyway, great report! You gonna be there for the tourny this weekend?

Rooster
02-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Nicely done Mav, I knew ya had to be killing it out there in these conditions.Props , Hope 2 cya soon bro.

bruce watson
02-09-2009, 10:28 AM
What was the situation with trout island? Is the saddle leading over there still out of the water? Is the road back to the flats still passable or did the Irvine security stop people from driving back there. I understand it could rain all next Saturday and this will come into play for the Presidents weekend tournament.

MAVERICK27
02-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Bassmasterson. You are correct! Patrick will even drive one out to you. BUT, I had one and....STILL would had gone over that if I had continued, so we worked on Whit's Panfish :) :)

Rooster, thanks Rob..we gotta get back out and get the lloyds! I'll be out of town this weekend at the Kern, but i'll be back out at the Vine the following weekend!!! Let's drag Roger out too!!

LateFisher
02-09-2009, 01:30 PM
NICE POST MAV, GOOD TO SEE YOU IN ACTION AGAIN, JOHN:Beer Toast:

MAVERICK27
02-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks John. Funny thing is I was actually gonna call you and tell you to get down to the Vine so we can CATCH fish together, but then I realized how far you are :( Let's plan something soon!

BIGRED KILLA
02-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the report sounds like a great day to be out on the water. I had some of the best trout days in the rain using worms the trout knows the rain will bring the worms out to play. Keep it up out there.

Bigred

troutdog
02-09-2009, 02:48 PM
The bite has been off the hook for the last week at the Vine, glad you were able to take advantage of it Mav. Thanks for the excellent report!

TD

MAVERICK27
02-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks guys! Bruce, You can still drive as far back into the flats as you need. However, they have not officially opened the do not drive tresspass are in the wayyyy back. There is talk about them letting us use it for the April W.O.N tourney. Inquire with the Lake staff on that issue. I would hate to give bad info and get anyone in trouble.

Aaron, when are yu coming out on my boat with me to slay some troutses???

dirty girl
02-09-2009, 05:15 PM
thanx for the report mav....week after week, you're really getting to know this lake intimately. if you talk to the grand master mitts, he'll tell you that that is one of the secrets to success at the vine....and you're really hitting it. props to you!

hope to see you, the family and the lake crew out there in a few weeks...way after the 3 day tourney! save some big fish for me and fisherbrat!

keepin it dirty,
dirty girl

DropShotMan
02-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Bluegill rock haha we were counting down the seconds till we got bit, we were on the dot each time, thanks Mav. had a blast

calico killer kevin
02-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the report. I will be there this Saturday on my kayak.
If you don't mind PM'ing me the details, I'd be very interested to know them.

diamondbear
02-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the report Mavrick , I enjoy reading your reports as your doing quit well at the Vine . Iam glad you don't have the pics as I just finished eating dinner and I always get hungry again after seeing those fish fillets , lol // db

Troutman65
02-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Hey Mav, nice going out there . Whiteny is totally :Cool: Glad you got your limit. Great report :Cool:

As for as the 2 nd Limit pass, its $17.00 not $22.00.

MAVERICK27
02-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks Patrick! Missed ya out there that day!

DB, I'll post some pics today :) I appreictiate the kind words

Kevin, I'll PM you some details. All I know is what works for me. I'm no pro, I just put a tremendous amount of time on the water there.

yamafish
02-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Nice report..
Out there in the rain :Shocked:
I hope to get out there soon!

migfrias
02-10-2009, 07:13 PM
maverick27,

nice report, thanks for the good reads!

miguel

crappie stalker
02-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Sounds like you had a ball in the rain.. Panfish and trout.. mmm cant beat that well except if it was catfish, panfish and trout...LOL

CS

Mondo21
02-11-2009, 11:19 PM
A great day on the lake with a friend... Priceless~ Good job out there Maverick! Hope to be getting out there real soon. Cindy:Big Grin:

MAVERICK27
02-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks Cindy! You will be abck soon. We'll save some troutses for ya!! Heal well!!

crappiemike
02-12-2009, 08:10 PM
dude you been killing them way to go!!!
thnx for the report...

cm

chivo
02-13-2009, 12:59 PM
yah hear that mike, there starting to bite at the vine. Can't wait till they go off.