PDA

View Full Version : Cast Nets en mass

WalePescado
02-08-2009, 09:45 PM
I've noticed a MASSIVE increase in the number of castnets being carried in the fishing departments of our local wally worlds. Any idea why?

I just checked the regs and seems to still be illegal. Catching shad for bait could be easier though lol.....

olfishergal
02-08-2009, 10:24 PM
yah I noticed that too the other day at wally world. I thought they were illegal in calif? Maybe Nessie knows?

bruce watson
02-08-2009, 10:32 PM
They are illegal in So.California in both salt and fresh water. They are legal up north for smelt and herring in the ocean. If you have one near water or on your boat, It will cost you big time. They are legal in the Colorado river, but only in the other states. A Ca. license with a river stamp will not do it.

Walmart is selling these things and they are being bought by poachers. When I complained about this to the Walmart managers, I was told that they were being sold so that "if someone wanted to send one to a friend who lives in another state, he could". BS Wallyworld is selling supplies to poachers who steal OUR fish.

It should be against the law to sell casting nets in the counties where it's illegal to use them.

lurk 182
02-08-2009, 11:13 PM
my guess is that wal-mart's ordering is done at a regional level, ever notice they all carry the same stuff no matter which location you go to? i think the guy doing the ordering is probably buying stuff for the whole southwest, maybe whole west coast. think about how many people from LA go to the river too. i've only seen someone throw one once out here at Castaic in the fall, i figured they were striper guys and let em get all the bait they wanted.

breeze71
02-08-2009, 11:30 PM
They are illegal in So.California in both salt and fresh water. They are legal up north for smelt and herring in the ocean. If you have one near water or on your boat, It will cost you big time. They are legal in the Colorado river, but only in the other states. A Ca. license with a river stamp will not do it.

Walmart is selling these things and they are being bought by poachers. When I complained about this to the Walmart managers, I was told that they were being sold so that "if someone wanted to send one to a friend who lives in another state, he could". BS Wallyworld is selling supplies to poachers who steal OUR fish.

It should be against the law to sell casting nets in the counties where it's illegal to use them.

I wouldn't read too into the lines Bruce. I know a few people that buy those cast nets to make smaller nets or to re-net their old ones. It's a lot cheaper than buying a whole new net. Buying a replacement net costs more than than the the cast net. Why not just make 4 replacements from the one cast net?

bruce watson
02-09-2009, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't read too into the lines Bruce. I know a few people that buy those cast nets to make smaller nets or to re-net their old ones. It's a lot cheaper than buying a whole new net. Buying a replacement net costs more than than the the cast net. Why not just make 4 replacements from the one cast net?

The expensive part of these casting nets would seem to be the lead weights. I picked up one of the boxes and was surprised at how heavy they are. I know that in SoCal salt, the biggest umbrella or dip net you can use is three feet. What I saw at Walmart was 4 to 7 foot models. If you want to see them in use, go to the Pudd or any city park late at night.

Nessie Hunter
02-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Yes, Bruce is right on the money with those nets & who uses them..
Dam shame, but not illegal to sell them...

:Evil: :Evil: :Evil:

WalePescado
02-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Yes, Bruce is right on the money with those nets & who uses them..
Dam shame, but not illegal to sell them...

:Evil: :Evil: :Evil:

My thoughts EXACTLY...

City Dad
02-09-2009, 03:34 PM
hmmm... have you noticed if they sell tridents too? 'Cause if they're selling nets and tridents, well, maybe they're just marketing to gladiators... which, is still kinda wrong... but better than poachers.

bruce watson
02-09-2009, 04:28 PM
hmmm... have you noticed if they sell tridents too? 'Cause if they're selling nets and tridents, well, maybe they're just marketing to gladiators... which, is still kinda wrong... but better than poachers.

A man who thinks outside the box, I love it.